How do I film a Mirror?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

How do I film a Mirror?

Post by Clarence »

I've seen it in many movies: You seen the reflection of a person in the mirror, from their point of view. Then, they open it and you see the inside revealing that it's not just a piece of glass.

I know you can film a mirror from an angle, but how do you film on head on?
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: How do I film a Mirror?

Post by Jass Films »

you can only do it on an angle, unless you do some tricky editing in post. But that would take ages to explain how to do. But just remember, you can film from any angle, left - right - up + down. So just experiment with what you are trying to do. I'm sure you'll be able to work out what you are trying to do.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

In the film Garden State, the created a wall around the camera to mask it. This allowed them to film the mirror head on. The only time you can actually see the camera is when he opens the cabinet and it's quick. If you have the film watch it with commentary.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

A two-way mirror comes to mind. This can be seen in the elevator scene in The Boondock Saints. If you've got the DVD, watch this scene with commentary, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Erm... yeah...
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I would still consider doing a slight angle, but get as close to head on as possible. Or the other thing would be to cover most of teh camera with a neon color tape, etc. In post try to key it out. I don't know, just a thought that came to mind.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

TheMovieMan, Garden State was exactly the movie I was referring to! I have it right now, I'll take a look at what you said.
Catscratch44

Post by Catscratch44 »

I have a friend who blue screened the mirror but it looked really hoaky
"A morning without coffee is like sleep."
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The real trick is to get the camera pass directly in front of the mirror, with the camera invisible. :) It still dazzles and bewilders me when I see that...
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

I guess I've never really thought about it before tonight, but....Would it be possible/work to perhaps construct something that looks like a mirror,(whether its a stand alone mirror, or one on a wall) and cover the part where the actual mirror would be, with a blue sheet. then film the mirror from behind the subject or whatever, and then get a shot from where the mirror is, pointing in the direction of the subject, then through premiere position the second clip over the blue screened part?

I was just reading this thread, and got this idea. I've never used blue screening before, so I dont know the effectiveness of using it.

Lemme know if you think this would work or not.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

That might be more trouble than it's worth, but anything is possible if you are willing to put the time and effort into it.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Yeah, I kinda figured it would be pretty time consuming. but like i said, ive never done any bluescreening stuff, so im not sure what all is involved in doing that. :?

Also, would simply a blue sheet work for bluescreening? or would you need like a painted wall or something to that effect? I've seen sites of peopls who have made a whole wall strictly for bluescreening, but i didnt know about a sheet or whatnot.
cantoloupe

Post by cantoloupe »

invisibility clock.... :D
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

just take a film of a bloke going up to a mirror and then film the bloke in front of the camera as if it was a reflection!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

How do I film a mirror?

Post by rhys »

Well i have a way, if u have after effects that is. Film a person as normal in front of the mirror and have the camera in front of the mirror. Then film it all again exept place the camera where the actor was and then use cc power pin to put it onto the edges of the mirror.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: How do I film a mirror?

Post by windog »

what??

foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

just film it from an angle that is the easyist way to do it and if you play with your cam positioning enough it will look almost like its head on. Also I just realized somthing going back and looking at the mirror shot in A taste of Arm, which if my video stuff was all reinstalled I would upload to show you, but if you use a smaller mirror, on thats not floor to celling, etc, you can hide the cam a million times easyer and still get justabout a head on shot. I got so close to the mirror with the cam that if I was to move an inch, I would be seen, which messed up a few shots.
Last edited by foxwood on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

amen.

Directordude

Post by Directordude »

put blue screen on the mirror then film the man doing his ruitine. 2nd get in front of him and film doing it again. put it in blue screen portion. best way to do this would be to film just behind the guys head blur his head with manual focus and then let the second video clip do all the work
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: How do I film a mirror?

Post by rep22 »

Directordude wrote:put blue screen on the mirror then film the man doing his ruitine. 2nd get in front of him and film doing it again. put it in blue screen portion.
hmm...that way of executing this effect sounds very familiar ^.....lol