My new upcomming film "1812". First Look!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

My new upcomming film "1812". First Look!

Post by John Groshko »

Here is a large collection of stills from my upcoming film "1812" that I'd been working on for 8 months.

I've just won the provincial SACHS film festival with this film, in both the best thriller, and best over-all film categories.

Expect to see a trailer in early April.

My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Here is also a pic of the poster.

My films;

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

No comments? I guess that means that everyone is just looking forward to the trailer then.
My films;

BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

My patience ran low after waiting a few minutes for all the stills to load (and I'm on a broadband connection!). That's about all I can say. Compress the stills and make them smaller in size.
Erm... yeah...
JK90

Post by JK90 »

The stills loaded up fine on my computer and I'm also on Broadband. Looks good the costumes are fine. Slightly dodgy muzzle flash and I'm not looking forward to the scene shown where the dude is kneeling in the snow (it's such a cliche). Other than that I'm looking forward to the trailer and finding out what the plot is about.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I got the stills OK too. Overall, it looks great, very epic. Can't wait for the trailer!
'Sod the candles, I'm in love.'
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I agree with browncow. Do something about that..

You've got some great stuff, but i'm not to impressed for some reason. I'll have to watch the final product to see.
Sigs suck a**.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I3lade203 wrote:You've got some great stuff, but i'm not to impressed for some reason. I'll have to watch the final product to see.
Strangely, these are my exact thoughts. It's very apparent that you've spent quite a bit of time on this and paid attention to detail, but something isn't sitting right with me. Maybe the stills just can't convey what this film will bring. I will look forward to the release.
Erm... yeah...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I'm interested, but that flag is so very wrong. This is far before Confederation, so it would still be a Union Jack.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Pictures loaded pretty quick for me but it was late at night so the bandwidth probably wasn't being sucked up.

Looks very interesting, can't wait to see a trailer or the movie.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Passit

Post by Passit »

looks to good to me - definately want to see more. youve got to use some Tchaikovsky for the soundtrack too!
'Pain is temporary, film is forever'
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do agree with everyone in saying that the pictures do not do the film justice. But trust me, the film is much better than the pictures show.

As for your comment UFProductions; it is well explanied early on in the film.
My films;

justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

lookin forward to the trailer!
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Are the pictures screencaps from the film, or shot on a different camera?

Something just "feels" wrong with the images. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into costumes, props, locations, and so on, but for some reason, it just doesn't look like it really belongs in that time period to me. It's really hard to explain, and I'm not sure if I can even put my finger on it, but it just "feels" wrong somehow.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

"Something just "feels" wrong with the images. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into costumes, props, locations, and so on, but for some reason, it just doesn't look like it really belongs in that time period to me. It's really hard to explain, and I'm not sure if I can even put my finger on it, but it just "feels" wrong somehow."

ok, a few thing that i found to pick on... (As I quite often do) I think the reason it "feels" so wrong, is all your actors are sooo young. Had you had some older actors in the midst I would have found it a lot more believable.

I felt disconnected from the characters a lot because of your focus. It looks like you have used automatic focus. Here's something that could help you out, use manuel focus and focus on the characters eyes that is most important in the shot. Here are a few examples....
The one where they are about to kiss, you should have the camera focused on her eyes.
The Last one you should have focus on the one closest to the camera (his eyes) the one that looks like he has a mini fox on his head.

Do you understand how that would make the film more appealing to the audience? Basically it gives the audience someone to focus on, where as having it like you have done it, they are disconnected from the characters and don't know who they are supposed to be emotionally get attached to.

Also, in one of the shots you had glare in the shot. Most film makers would frown upon that, however I'm not most film makers... I LIKE IT! lol

Other than that, everything looks well directed and your shot were all well planned out. Good Job mate, I look forward to seeing the trailer and the final product.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

What is up with the avatar?
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

Is this movie like have a doing scene in it?
Matt Haight
Writer
Director
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

CaptainAmerica wrote:Is this movie like have a doing scene in it?
ahahaha, DOING SCENE! ahahaha. Just say SEX!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

The Canadian flag sort of confuses me - the movie is entitled 1812, so it's about the War of 1812, right? If so, where's the Brits?
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

so it has a sex scene in it.....
I dont htink i have ever seen a ameture film with anything liek that in it...
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

Yes, it does have a sex scene in it. And stop harping on the flag, as I said before it is explained in the film.

As for Jass Film's comment of the focus issue; I think what people mean by "somthing looks wrong" is the fact that the pictures have been taken from a mpeg2 (DVD) version of the film and then commpressed into jpeg (which may explain why things LOOK out of focus). And also, (a probaly the main reason the pictures look wrong) THEY ARE IN THE INCORRECT ASPECT RATIO! I just noticed that now. They should be in 16x9; but the pictures are in 4x3. No wonder people are saying the pictures look funny, everything is stretched vertically.

I'm going to try to get the trailer uploaded either today or tommorrow.
My films;

lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Looks pretty sweet Mr Groshko.....I'm totally interested....1 thing tho, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was your budget for the movie? Because it looks like you've got a pretty big cast which involves lots of costumes, and I was just wondering.
"Prolly Just Film"
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Maybe what looks "wrong" is that the pictures are raw. I know they are distorted, but maybe tinting them a small bit towards the sepia pallet might make it look more natural. Just my opinion; I read in a magazine that a more brownish, golden look gives the feel of the film taking place a long time ago.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

My suggestion... before releasing a teaser, show only your best 3 pictures. I would have shown the muzzle flash shot and probably two others from the battle, probably the one with the glare. Most of the pictures don't have context cause they're just pictures, I think when we see the trailer we'll have a better understanding.
The guy knealling in the snow... clicke? Everything is determined by context. Now, if i am going to have some guy in the snow or what not at a grave, to give a non-clicke look I would have an interesting shot. But some movies need the guy at the grave thing. It if is relivent.
CaptainAmerica

Post by CaptainAmerica »

You really have a sex scene in the movie, you just don't do that kind of stuff. Thats cool if your into that.
Matt Haight
Writer
Director