Capturing Sound

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Capturing Sound

Post by DarkElastic »

I was just wondering how each person captures sound.

Over this weekend passed we did all our filming for our movie course short film. But, we captured the sound separately on a mini disc player, as the camera sound is not as sharp. We had a microphone - with wind muffler, and earphones.

The problem with this was/is the fact that we did not have a good system of logging each sound clips, thus making editing a lot simpler. It is now going to take us a long time to match the sound to the footage we choose to use in the final cut of the movie.

This weekend has taught us two separate things. We need a decent way of logging the sound clips, and a clapper-board. I have seen a good clapper-board for £11.95, and have just designed a decent sound list in word.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
yojimbosdog

Post by yojimbosdog »

when you put up the clapper board, read off the scene, take, etc.
then after you capture your sound, you can listen to the first few seconds and rename the file.
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

So you don't have to listen to each clip, I think I will use an audio log sheet on shoot. It will save on time.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
ChemicalShaman

Post by ChemicalShaman »

I have a mini-disc player for recording sound, problem is the input is a line-in so I therefore am going to need some sort of basic cheap (small) mic pre-amp. Can anyone recommend any particular product that will do thje job? I jst need to boost the audio coming off a mic.
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

that's where I'm at. I have a small condenser mic which needs phantom power. You can use a 9 volt battery but it never seems to get the level up whre it nees to be. So I think i'm forced to use my 8 track digital recorder and my Behringer tube ultragain preamp. So now I have to find some portable sorce of power and lug all that around
tsssssssssss :(
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I think we all do the same thing... use a microphone. :)

The clapper boards aren't really necessary unless you are using film. They were designed so that the editor could find the right place on the film while hear for the right place on the soundtrack. With the camcorder today, they are already together for you!
joe

Post by joe »

With the camcorder today, they are already together for you!
Yes, with camcorders today, the video and audio are together, but he is talking about recording sound separately with a mini disc recorder, so a clapper board would be necessary to sync the audio quickly.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well um... naw! lol I use a multitrack Roland digital hard drive recorder that can sync directly to the camera. That is really cool stuff. I am sure in some cases a clapper board would come in handy.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Radio Shack has a cheap one

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=32-2056

Hey reflectives....where in WI
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

ipon70 wrote:Radio Shack has a cheap one

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=32-2056

Hey reflectives....where in WI
And it works pretty well too, the only thing is, it has a line level output, so your camera mic input has to have line in also. I haven't tried it with the input set to mic, but I imagine it would be way too hot to use on the mic input. Set to line in on my vx2100, with the inout on manual I crank the camera down to rought 30 - 35 % inout volume and then rarely run the mixer above about 60%.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It's a mixer, not a sound recorder. Radio Shack makes some nice mixers and crappy ones, so spend the extra $5. ;)
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

If you had alot of money, there are clapper boards the sync up the sound and the video at the same time. But that's alot of money. It has wires that run from it to the sound/video to time them with a time code that is synced up.
I applaud you for attempt to shoot sound seperate from the video. I had to do some of that. the cheap way we were forced to was to use our fingers to say what scene it was, then show us clapping our hands together infront of the camera.
I think with computer editing timing them up is faster than the old filmstock guys. Man that would have been a pain.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Sound is a major problem isn't it guys... My advice to you guys is to buy a xlr port to put on you camera and get a descent mic and boom to attach to it, plus extensions for the headphones for recording sound. Thus good quality sound is recorded on the tape in sync already, plus you can sometimes depending on the port adjust the sound levels etc. I will look around on the web and see what i can find for you guys.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

XLR Adapters ---------------------------------------

http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-pro.htm
XLR 3 port adapter $199, $179.95 for a 2 port adapter which is sufficient, some cheaper models available too, for example there is a two port for $89.95 on special which is a bargain. They also have leads for your mics for $12.95

http://www.signvideo.com/production_vid ... t_menu.htm <- Strongly suggested
$159 for this one 2 ports, I suggest a 2 port stereo adapter, thus you can use a Y cable to record both tracks, and if you have one ports input levels lower then the other, you can use that as a back up if the other ports input gets distorted. I strongly suggest this version is because you can easily stickit on the bottom of you camera and still attach your you plate for you tripod on it. Very handy and out of the way. This site also has a really cool audio level meter you can put on your camera if it doesn't already have one, strongly suggested if you can afford it.

There are heaps more, just search XLR Adapter in google to find more stores
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Q=&ci=8533
This site has all you needs in one with Microphones priced from anything between $200 and $1599. Depends on your price range that you are looking at. It also has boom poles from any where between $64 and $700.

Again heaps more sites available, just search Boom Poles, and Film Microphones in google
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are looking at anything between just over $400 for a basic full set-up, to $3000 for an advanced full set-up.

Pretty costly I know, but it is worth it and will save a lot of trouble in the future with sound, as all this equiptment will last you quite a long time providing you look after it. Not only that, you'll get proffesional sound. Keep in mind, you'll need an extra guy on your crew to hold the boom etc.

If you want to know more of my suggestions for easier proffessional sound, just ask. I have a lot more advice where that came from.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Also if you insist on using a mixer, you can always connect the mixer output right back to the camera's mic input.