Songs for my sound track.

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

XhuntedoverlordX

Songs for my sound track.

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Hey does anyone know some good songs for a zombie movie soundtrack? I've thought of a few but i'm still trying to figure out some more. So far i've got: The End of the World by The Living End, Midlife Crisis by Faith No More, and F*ck The System by System of a Down. Can anyone think of some others?
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Songs for my sound track.

Post by ipon70 »

I hope you aren't planning on releasing that movie to anyone, because without clearence on that music you run the risk of being sued. With that said I would check out www.freeplaymusic.com they have a lot of different kinds of music you might find something there.

BTW: If you are told to stop using the music, that is what they do first. They serve you with a cease and desist letter, you stop producing copies of the movie or you reedit without their music all is good. Hmmmmmm wonder how I know that?? :?
XhuntedoverlordX

oops, wonder how I forgot that, lol. Thanks ipon. Is it the same case if we use some local bands? I know some who would do original music for me. If they were to do the music for my movie and we signed some kind of contract thing would it still be illegal?
Lord_Morpheus

Post by Lord_Morpheus »

Yeah, if you use music from someone and they say you're allowed to, and you sign some sort of contract, it's perfectly legal...
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Here is a link to the contract I use, Just modify it for your use. I have signed on with 4 bands so far and 2 lawyers have reviewed it and the only change one made to it, was limiting the amount of time to produce the movie.

Music Release
XhuntedoverlordX

This is perfect, thanks!
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

Hey ill just give that to my cousin then. But still. Do we have to give that to non-copyrited songs??? Thats his point i think. As long as we ask them do we have to go through the whole contract thing? Not tryin to be repetitive. Just askin
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

If they are with a major label odds of getting a contract are slim to none. If they are produced but with a small label, then they usually retain the rights to do what they want.

I would just check with the artist and then with the contract you have your butt covered.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
XhuntedoverlordX

That sounds good, the bands me and Sky are talking to for my movie aren't under a label or anything, their just some guys at our school who play music together.
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

As long as you have their consent - get something in writing, and give them a credit at the end - then the copyright is covered.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

I don't do contracts. I found lots of online artists that let me use their music. I just e-mail them and ask them if I can use it in my film, they either say yes or no. So far, I haven't had anyone say no. :)
"Prolly Just Film"
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

A couple of points, as soon as the music is written it is copyrighted. The same as with your film, as soon as you record it, you receive copyright protection. The term is 'fixed in a tangible medium'. Also, you defintiely want to do contracts, they may say- sure, go ahead and use it, but if theyhave used a rif from another song, you are hanging yourself out for an infringement suit also.This isn't a handshake business, the contract should indemnify you and certify teht no third party has any interest in the music you are using, and that they own the copyright to the music, it does not infringe on anyone elses copyright, and spell out the uses which they are licensing to you, including, broadcast, synch, mechanical, performance, and web based streaming and distribution, 'in any media curently known or yet to be discovered, in perpetuity'
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands