MAtrix effect

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MikeMirage

MAtrix effect

Post by MikeMirage »

I see al these posts about how to do the matrix effect and I was wondering; do you guys even know how it was done? The way they did it is the easiest way to do it. Set up a semicircle of digital cameras and put two film cameras on either end. They used a green room and holes with the cameras. So you would just have to make sure that the first and last cameras do not show eachother. SIMPLE AS THAT!!! :)
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Thank you dude but I think 99% of the members allready knew that..
MikeMirage

The reason

Post by MikeMirage »

Yeah I posted it because I read all the other ones just to see what poeple were doing and they are editing things in and out and copy and using 8 programs and.... All that isn't needed!!!!
jikalx

Post by jikalx »

We know how the effect is made. The problem is in getting 100 cameras, setting up the rig, and getting all the cameras to shoot at the right time.

It is much easier, although doesn't look as good, to do it with a morphing program.
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Haha jeez Mike.. You didn't think of that did you? 100 cameras just out of nowhere..
- ..:There is no spoon:.. -
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It's a great trick if you have big-budget hollywood financing behind it!.

Okay, I know you've all been waiting for this:

Old school way of doing it:

Plan the action scene to come to a specific point - The Matrix effect! When everyone reaches that point (You could sound an air-horn or something), everyone freezes while the camera man runs around to another position! Building up to this, you could use a few clever camera cuts, and put the main actor on some steps, then film it looking up at him!

Honest to God, I though that is how they did it in The Matrix!

It's really as simple as that! You can get the whole effect in a few minutes! Must try that out for my A-team movie!!!

If the effect looks really cheesy, it would be good for a comedy!

;)
Moderating behind the bushes!
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Actually it doesn't just look cheesy, it looks absolutely cr**!
Spike

Post by Spike »

Originally posted by MikeMirage
I see al these posts about how to do the matrix effect and I was wondering; do you guys even know how it was done? The way they did it is the easiest way to do it. Set up a semicircle of digital cameras and put two film cameras on either end. They used a green room and holes with the cameras. So you would just have to make sure that the first and last cameras do not show eachother. SIMPLE AS THAT!!! :)
dude i really wouldn't call that simple.... but if it is, i would really like to see you make that! ;)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

We should just stop with the matrix effect, bacause it has become so blasae that it isn't even cool anymore.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Originally posted by hanasand
Actually it doesn't just look cheesy, it looks absolutely cr**!
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no need to be rude about it though!
Moderating behind the bushes!
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Sorry..
grison

Post by grison »

Well it certainly looks like cr** :D.

Also that Effect isnt called "Matrix Effect" but "Bullettime". You do like Matrix has been the very first film to do it but its not that new.
Lee

Post by Lee »

It doesn't matter CamClub, they are all useful suggestions.

Wait, did I say 'useful'? :D
'Sod the candles, I'm in love.'
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

grison it actually isnt called bullet time that is the name gatea gave it when he started using it...

the real term for the effect is "timeslice" as was the term used by the genius that invented it, Tim MacMillan
www.timeslicefilms.com

He was famous for "Dead Horse" his first official timeslice movie. If anyone can find it please e-mail me it is supposed to be extremely eerie.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~corkill/aaronv2/oldsite/temp/v2banner.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.aaronv2.vze.com/[/url]
DoDGe

Post by DoDGe »

We should just stop with the matrix effect, bacause it has become so blasae that it isn't even cool anymore.
Its maybe getting old, but it is nice to see how other people do it and it still can look good, also there IS a bit too much about it in these forums...
[url=http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=DoDGe]DoDGe[/url]
[url=http://www.home-editing.cjb.net]Home Editing[/url]
[email]dodge2k2@hotmail.com[/email]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Should try a sword fight in bullet time.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

LOL in that case don't look at my avatar :P
Originally posted by foxwood
Should try a sword fight in bullet time.
You mean time slice photography right foxwood? ;)

[Edited on 5-8-2003 by insert_coin]
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~corkill/aaronv2/oldsite/temp/v2banner.jpg[/img]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Right but I'm going to call it sword time.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

it would be cool to see a sword fight in super slow mo... some of those monks can poke some serious eyes out... but i think bullet time might be a little extreme for sword play... it would be cool if a bullet hit was in bullet time... blood caught in mid air and stuff... *starts to think*
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

wasn't there a topic where they stated that there was no such thing as a blood "puff" on a hit?
i think a swordfight in bullettime would be cooler, espacialy(how do you write that f-ing word?) when someone gets hit, THAT would be cool!
http://www.shuttlesim.be
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

Oh, and i forgot this:
timeslice is something different then bullet-time!
timeslice is:
a circkel of camera's (who take a single picture) they all take a picture at the same moment. When they put all these pictures in a line, you have a movie of a "frosen" object, where the camera turns around!

in bullettime, you can see the actor moving, while it's still in slowmo AND motion!
If they tried this whit a high-speed-cam on a track, they'd need a rocket to get enough speed (to move).
So, this effect was thought of specialy for the matrix. I saw some footage of the first test. They captured an exploding can of gas! Pretty inpressive :p
The way the did it:
cameras in a path (doesn't has to be a cirkel) who all go of, one by one... If they put that in a line...

I hope you learned a bit from this. I'm a hughe fan of the matrix, and even more of the way they made it :p
http://www.shuttlesim.be
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Speeking of the blood in the frozen time, in the Matrix when Morphus got shoot in the leg, If I recal the moved around the puff of blood. But I haven't seen the matrix in a while.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

4 things.
THing One: They didn't move around the "Puff" Of blood, the camera just stoped panning at the plase morpheus got hit.

Thing 2: Insert_Coin, NO ONE CARES WHAT ITS CALLED

Thing three: (As quoted by Foxwood)
"We should just stop with the matrix effect, bacause it has become so blasae that it isn't even cool anymore"
I don't think we should stop talking about bullet time because it's not cool anymore, I think we should stop talking about it because everythings been said.

THing Four: I think we should come up with a different effect to be royaly dubbed the "Matrix Effect" So we can prove to ourselves that we're not just rambling on about a 5 to 7 second shot of a movie that came out in 1999. But I cannot think of that now, as I (Unlike Foxwood) Am an actuall humanoid who needs sleep
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

Thing one: Remind me to buy 2nd recon a chill pill :)

Thing Two: I forgot theres frozen time and then bullet time two different things... trinity kicking the fat cop is frozen time. neo dodging bullets is bullet time.

Thing Three: Remind me to buy two cartons of chill pills cause you get a third free... but only if u pay by credit card
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well We could be talking about the reuse of short effects from a 1999 movie in a 2003 movie namely Reloaded, and prbably Revilutions.

whoops on the blood thing, and I had insomnea created by bees, but I'm back to getting normal sleep.