CGI or what

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dennismv

CGI or what

Post by dennismv »

I found this video -- http://www.dennymagicsite.com/videos/latenite.mpeg
(~13Mb)
And first I though ... wow, the scenes are pretty realistic looking. But tooo perfect, too well lit up, and too clean.
Then I thought if it's a video effect of some sort, or maybe a still picture turned into video. But then I thought ... no, still too perfect.
Then my friend says it's probably CG.

So I wonder, if it's CG, how do you get it to be this good ? i.e. I don't think someone drew this from scratch, but then how would one do a video like this ?
asapfilms

RE: CGI or what

Post by asapfilms »

I think some is cgi but I think most is a set that probably does have a video effect layed over it...
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
Amateur Screenplays, Amateur Productions
monkey

Post by monkey »

well, believe it or not, theres this thing people do called "dancing" dont think uv ever heard of it.
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

what monkey??? you know, there's this thing called thinking, dont think you've tried it...but congrats on the newly discovered dancing obstacle. you've come a long way...
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
Amateur Screenplays, Amateur Productions
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

LOL!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

LoL! Ohhhhh! Anyways, I think the dancing people are CGI because if you look at 2:26 and look at the reflection in the mirror you'll see that from the knees down is missing, but maybe that's the way it's suppost to be. And for the backgrounds, they must have used a 3d greenscreen (one with shapes of things, instead of a flat blanket) with props or a screen of a different color to add depth to the video.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

well I thought that people are not CGI, they look pretty real. Their heads though may be "planted". Especially at 2:51. But then maybe they found a cool grandma to break-dance.
I was also more interested in the sets. The backgrounds, the store, traffic lights and so on.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

hmm... The people look so real. Plus I've seen people dance like that before. But maj barnes raises a valid point, the guy's legs are missing! lol And also they somehow get the reflection with a dollying shot, not zoom. How does one achieve it with getting the camera in it!? Very cool movie and peculiar! I would put a bet on the locations being real though, I have seen HUGE scale lighting jobs that make photos look just like paintings, it is too freaky.
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

well the dancing part itself is probably not CGI. I didn't think it was CGI.
It's more like robot dancing, which can be done by humans.
But the whole thing looks surreal. There's probably some CGI in the movie, as i.e. at 45 sec there's a quick shot of buildings, which to me looked a bit too surreal.