Recommended Hi-Def Cameras?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Recommended Hi-Def Cameras?

Post by OutcastJiob »

Can anyone give me some suggestions for a digital high-definition camera? Here's my problem: "regular" DV isn't high enough resolution to be seen in a theater. Since we're going to, at the very least, screen the comedy film I'm currently working on in a theater, I need to be filming using a high definition camera.

Oh yes, and I can't spend more than $4,000. The cheaper I can get a quality hi-def camera, the better. Possible?
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Recommended Hi-Def Cameras?

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Your best bet is probably going to be renting one.
Erm... yeah...
chchaisson1

RE: Recommended Hi-Def Cameras?

Post by chchaisson1 »

I'd recommend this one. It's the only consumer level Hi-def camcorder. It's almost $3,499 though.

JVC HDV Camcorder
seantree

Post by seantree »

Sony also has 2 new HD cams out now. There is a standard model and a pro version wich should be shipping soon. Not sure of the names, but hit google and check them out. As for DV not being high res enough for a film out it's all about how it's shot. there have been a few films shot with the DVX100a that have been screened in theatres and they look damn good also. You may want to rethink using HD as the editing support is still kind of shabby. Sure some apps support it, but i've read nothing but problems from those using HD. good luck!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

search for Sony FX-1
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

Here's the link for the consumer Sony camera:

Hi-Def Camcorder
New site released!
Join the Forum!
http://www.boathouse-productions.com/
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

JMBOWZER5

Post by JMBOWZER5 »

You dont need a high def camera to play in a theatre. Unless i'm mistaken.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Definitely don't, in fact, in the theatre, you'd probably be better off with SD than consumer HD - the HD cameras are still limited to a 25 Mb/s stream - and they encode in MPEG2 rather than AVI format. so eventhough there are more pixels available, the total data available is the same, which explains why they have to be encoded MPeg... Also, the Sony and JVC HD cams use two different resolutions... one 480i the other 1080i. I've heard good things about the Sony.. the JVC's.. so so reviews, but considering they were the first HD camera under 20,000 welll there are bound to be some issues... same with the Sony. Both are first generation HDV cams. Word is out JVC will be unveiling a new line of HDV cams, with some of the issues worked out to at least some extent. Also some rumbling that Panny may unveiling a Prosumer 50Mb/s HDV cam built on their DVCPro encoding stream. If you want quality from your video in a theatre.. any DV format is not the way to.. Beta SX or better would probably be the best choice, much better resolution, and it doesn't suffer from the blockiness in the edges that comes from DVs 4:1:1 Sampling... A good analog beta image will far outshine anything you will get from any Consumer/prosumer camera... Now this brings up some other issues..
Price the act that you will need a beta VTR to play the tapes and an NLE or capture card with component video input ( a good card could run you $1500 )... IOW for less than $5000, you are not going to see any noticeable increase in quality with an DV format wheter Standard Def or HDV, or for that matter DVCAM.. HDV is designed to produce a good image on a Hi Def television, that's about it.. a whole different ball game than movie theatres....
Now, also consider, you will need an NLE that will handle HD video, and the theatre is going to have to have an HD LCD or DLT projector compatible with either the 1080i or 480i stream you will be providing projector to even get the image at all.....
Personally an HD cam is several years off - until the HDV spec is ironed out, and something at least close to the DV semi standard... ( The JVC HDV cam can't play back tapes shot witht he sony and vice versa ) and there are suficient post processing tools to be able to work the video... not much point in it. In fact my next 'step up ' in the camera worlsd will probably be to DVCPro in a full sized shoulder mount cam, or possibly DVCam ( OK so they are basically the same format.. DVCPro is Panny DVCam is Sony - names only ) or maybe even move to DVCPro50
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands