Garden State: Film Effect?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Meade87

Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by Meade87 »

Has anyone seen the movie Garden State?
Well in the film they do this effect where everything surrounding the chracter in focus speeds up drasticly but the chracter in focus stays in real time. And it doesn't seem to be an effect where the character in focus just stays still and they speed up the film. It seems to be like two seperate pieces of film put together but looks slightly difficult. I don't know. Does anyone know how to create this effect?
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

green screening/masking
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

If you watch the film with director's commentary you will learn that he sat still for 20 or so minutes while everyone around him moved normally. They then sped up the footage to give the look. Watch the "Party Scene" with commentary and he and Natalie Portman talk about how they did it. They also duable into it when they are making their entrance to the hotel to meet with Diego.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

20 min sitting still in the exact same position w/o flinching? that must have sucked :)
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Well Zach Braff said they spent all of their special effects money of the little they had on the "Quarry Shots" so he sat perfectly still for 20 minutes. The sacrifices made for films.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

seems like it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to do masking. i think i'll try that effect this week.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Doing by sitting still does mean it only takes 20 minutes to do. Masking would obviously take hours of effects work later. Sitting still gives you 20 minutes of pain but once it is done it is done.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i guess i agree with you there but he talked about the effect in the commentary. he was talking about how expensive it was. i'm guessing just because of the amount of film they used (especially if they mess up and have to do it over) i think moneywise it would have been cheaper to use masking. but that is only my speculation. i don't know anything about hollywood pricing.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by I3lade203 »

Carnage7p wrote:seems like it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to do masking. i think i'll try that effect this week.
Yes it would. You just film the shot 3 times, once without anything just background, once with the guy normal time, once with the speed up footage. Speed up the footage in that one, then mask the guy into it. The empty footage is there just in case.
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by Themovieman44 »

They said because the film was so anti-Hollywood, and against the standard ways of script format, they wanted to stay true to a low budget film.

As Matt said "20 minutes of being still is better than hours of work"

The whole party scene was shot at three different speeds. 6fps, 24fps, and 40fps. They got gutsy and flipped the speeds while filming. Which gives the effect of the extacy daze of the main character.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Nicely explained movieman. Meade87, the choice is up to you. however, if you come across any issues with the masking, feel free to contact me, and I will be happy to help.
Sigs suck a**.
PapaMurf

Post by PapaMurf »

Geez, I can't sit still for FIVE minutes!
Proud Founder of Naked Time Inc. A division of Strawberry Productions
Towels42

Post by Towels42 »

Maybe if you were heavily sedated and held up by strings...
"KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!"
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Maybe if you had the will to make your dream film that you never thought would get made, then you could probably sit still for 20 minutes.
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

i saw something similar in Queen of the Damned when they were walking and everything sped up around them? it was really cool.
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

They did a similar effect in Queen of the Damned, they had a much larger budget and used greenscreening/masking.
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

this was used in the Butterfly Effect, also.
New site released!
Join the Forum!
http://www.boathouse-productions.com/
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Don't you ever seen any of the weird guys who pretend statues in places visiting by tourists?
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah though their method worked, masking would probably be the easiest to make sure it came out well (just in case you move or have to sneeze or something). It would be really hard because blinking would be so much fater so you would have to blink less often. its a cool effect though and for an amateur to do, i think it would impress a lot of people who aren't as knowledgable. sadly i wont be able to try it this week because my computer crashed.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

We are talking about time effectivness not easyness. Yeah it won't be easy but it would save hours of time to do.
Passit

Post by Passit »

Imagine he had an itch or sneezed after 15min or so!!!
'lets do it again guys!'

i suppose its like my signature says:
'Pain is temporary, film is forever'
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Carnage7p wrote:It would be really hard because blinking would be so much fater so you would have to blink less often.
At the speed they sped it up to, you wouldn't be able to see him blink, unless he held his eyes closes for a few seconds. I wouldn't worry to much about it if you're going this route
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by Themovieman44 »

He blinked normally and it didn't show. I actually appeared as he never blinked. So that is not a problem.

If you sneexed or blinked well I guess your screwed unless you took the footage you had and looped it to make it appear longer.
Bugalicious

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by Bugalicious »

i loved that queen of the damned effect. The colors of the traffic lights and cars were wicked
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Garden State: Film Effect?

Post by pdj »

Themovieman44 wrote:... looped it to make it appear longer.
There's your solution right there-if he is sitting still, you would not notice the looping process-unless you're the bad guy in Speed