Ok just play stupid for a second

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ok just play stupid for a second

Post by Carnage7p »

ok making soundtracks is not exactly my area of expertise however in the near future i would like to get into this sort of thing. now in the simplest terms possible can you tell me everything i would need to start making my own music for films. let's just start with the basics. next question is, i know you guys don't play all the music yourself so how do you get all the instruments and stuff. is that in a program you have. i'm sorry this may all seem basic to most of you but i just want to learn.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: Ok just play stupid for a second

Post by Epsilon »

Well the best way to learn how to write music is to actually start playing one! Piano has been a very popular choice for the past 250 years. Or you may even want to try out a nice clarinet. :D There is NO simple way to learn music. I've been playing music and composing for over 7 years of my life and I know I still have a lot to learn, but I am getting there. The best soundtracks are recorded by live orchestras in recording studios to match the film. Not too often is it actually all synthetic.

If you want it to be a profession, start learnnig music NOW!!! Trivial cut and pasting music programs only get you so far...
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

right well i'm not looking to get really serious into this, but what do i need to start learning. do i just need software like finale or something? or do i need more than that?

by the way i am learning to play the guitar right now, and i used to play the violin and still remember a bit.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yes.. If i'm not mistaken the computer created music always sounds a lot worse and crappier then actaully having the people playing the intstruments live.. if you want , you can start by learning an instrument and how to read music. As well as get to know a bunch of other people who play all sorts of intstruments. If you want to do it via computer, well, thats just a matter of softwear..
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Computer hardware can sound extremely real nowaadays. It all depends how much you are willing to pay for a good synthesizing system. Learning music is the place to start. Then you will enter the complex field of music theory and composition. :) The process in learning to write music is extremely tough and you have to have strong long-range devotion to the art. You can't just say one day you'll just compose, it takes much effort to create a masterpiece.

Finale is just a tool to create music. You have to have the knowledge to know how to write first! :)
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

ok yeah i get all that but none of you have answered the actual question. all you have done is explain to me that it is difficult and will take lots of time. i understand that. now tell me what i need to start off with besides a program like finale.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

We did tell you. An instrument. Learning to read and write music is a definite need.
Sigs suck a**.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

i thought the computer could create the instrument sounds
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

It can. But you still need to know how to read music, and how music works , how a song is made, before you can make a song. It's like saying your going to add visual effects to a film without knowing the softwear.
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Carnage7p wrote:i thought the computer could create the instrument sounds
Look at it this way. I have a camcorder, does that mean I can create masterwork motion pictures? No! A computer can create music... but you have to know what you are doing first! There is no button that simply makes music. lol
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

JUST ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION AND STOP GIVING HIM SUCHA HARD TIME! Its common sense that a real instrument sounds better! Hey man if you want to make computer generated music than check out "Fruity Loops" I know a lot of REAL musicians who use it to make beats. Like Um maybe Hip-Hop music and etc. You don't need to actually use a real instrument to make good music. It's simply a matter of taste!
And I3lade your a total silly billy if you actually think everyone needs to read notes to make music. It is actually a well known fact that the majority of people who can read music are actually the people who fail at being musicians. Its all about your natural ability. They are thousands of musicians who have record label deals who don't know how to read music. Guitarists, Pianist's, DRUMMERS (A Big One). Reading notes is a handy tool but not a necessity. It's only something that is necessary if you plan on making other peoples music. Playing music can be learnt by feeling for it and listening. Also computer generated music is all based on patterns and loops NOT NOTES. The most top of the line software for generating music on a computer is rarely composed of mostly note reading! YOU PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU PASS JUDGMENT! YOU ARE NOT EXPERTS! YOU ARE ALL NOVICE! If even that. We are here to learn from each other. Sure tell him that playing an instrument is important but don't fart around his question simply because you don't know the answer! and the answer is: like I said, a very good software is "Fruity Loops".
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

also hardware is not a big need, but having a good sound card can develop a good sound. And if you do plan on eventually playing your own music you can directly feed the instument into the computer. Like electric guitars, electric drums, and etc. Their are hooks up for that. I am sure their is some expensive hardware that helps create more realistic sounds just like theyre is expensive hardware that helps develop better editing for films I.E. Amiga Toaster etc. But to get started stick with just the software bud. hope that helps.
-Rob(NYC)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What the hell are you talking about, Meade87? YOU are mistaken. We DID answer his questions. Whether real instruments or computer generated sounds sounded better or not was irrelevant, silly.

Fruity Loops is for pussys that do not know how to compose music. (I own a copy of Fruity Loops) It simply uses existing recordings mixed together. And frankly, I find any of us far more expert than you. Because, you see... you really do not know what in the freakin' hell you are talking about. I have been studying music and composing for a long time now. And now you say knowledgable writers all fail!? You are insulting 99% of the nation's composers AND the history of music.

By the way... can you name one known name composer today that does not know how to read or write music?
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

ok well i will say that meade answered my question a lot better than you guys did. you guys told me what i needed to learn, rather than what i need to buy to start learning. maybe i just did not ask the question right and maybe he just read the question the way i wanted you guys to read it. just a bunch of miscommunication. thank you though because now my question has been answered and that is all that matters.

p.s. epsilon. would they even be a composer if they could not write music? i think he was referring to the ability to read music not the ability to read and write.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

I use Acid 4.0. Great program but, a little pricey...You get a ton of loops-base lines, instruments-sfx etc etc it’s just up to you how creative you get
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

Hmmm, I named Fruity Loops for one because it is a simple program and he is just starting out you silly silly person Epsilon. Obviously I am going to name a simple software to get him started! Wow, you use common sense very well over in Cali don't ya?! Plus hmmm can I name any musicians that don't know how to read music. Hm, why yes I can. Why don't you try checking out EmotionalPunk.Com Various Punk artisits don't know how to read music. They learn from the sound. Jerk. And maybe it was disrespect to say that people who worry about being able to read music fail, but then again you say how great of a kowledgable musician you are AND YET I DON'T SEE YOU WITH ANY DEALS. You're a nobody when it comes to that. Plus stop with the mightier than thou cr**. You can rant on a message board about how great you are but we all know you are only trying to convince yourself that! I was focusing on helping someone who asked a question you guys didn't answer. Yes you farted around the question! You certainly did. You just said what he should do which was fine but you failed to answer what he asked. He asked about ways to get started. you named one. Sure he mentioned instruments! It was cool that you said that, but you didn't fully answer it jerk. Stop being defensive and obsorb some constructive criticism and stop being so damn pretentious (your not worth as much as you claim).
Last edited by Meade87 on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Rob(NYC)
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

+ Tablature has become a new dependancy amongst musicans cause they can't read music. Don't you know any of this if you are such a damn expert.
-Rob(NYC)
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Hit the deck! Incoming ban!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Meade87 wrote:Plus hmmm can I name any musicians that don't know how to read music. Hm, why yes I can.
See? Wise-a**, you did it again. You changed the question! I did not ask if you could name any musicians that could not play music, I have tons of friends that do not!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Epsilon wrote:
Carnage7p wrote:i thought the computer could create the instrument sounds
Look at it this way. I have a camcorder, does that mean I can create masterwork motion pictures? No! A computer can create music... but you have to know what you are doing first! There is no button that simply makes music. lol
EXACTLY
He asked for what he needed to learn how to create music. And we are telling him : Learn to read it and know music before creating .
Sigs suck a**.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

ANYWAY enought of that...Carnage7p, i have made a few good short film scores with Acid and with no problem..i dont know how to play an instrument or read music either so it is possible. No need to complicate things by learning the piano.

Ps- UFProductions: Why would there be an ‘incoming band’? They are debating their views. Lots of people do that on here with no threat of a band.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

It wasn't a spelling error, I said ban, as in this thread was about to get out of hand an someone was gonna' get banned as a result. I see the tempers have cooled, so my comment was irrelevent.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Ye-eah, perhaps I am thinking too high of a level. I was thinking that you wanted to write music yourself and have it performed. If all you really want are loops, Acid may work fine to your liking. Soundtracking is such a large field to get into, learning an instrument intimately never hurts. In fact, if you develop your knowledge in theory, you may even learn to apply loops in a specific musical form! That would be a really expertice touch to your skills! :D

Don't get me wrong, I take music rather seriously. Just have fun!
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

That's a fair answer Epsilon…Your point is very true. I found that listening closely and researching the theory of applying loops in a musical format does help…a lot. Now, this shguld point you in the right direction Carnage7p.
Knighted

Post by Knighted »

I'm a music scholar... I think it's great to encourage a person to start to compose, but before he dishes out £200 or something on a descent composing program he does need to know that he will actually be able to produce anything worthwhile... i'm not doubting his ability just saying you might want something to test around with before you get into the heavy and complicated composing programs...
thanks.

update

p.s. i use Sibelius here at school for composing sheet music, but it's expensive and I haven't tried using it just to compose midis...
Also I use MS DirectMusic at home :lol: I usually use it to listen to game music!!!