Min Specs for WIn XP?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Min Specs for WIn XP?

Post by El Brenty »

This one's for Raptor:

What's the minimum specs for installing WIN XP? I don't mean the ones they stick on the packet, I mean, when does it become beneficial to have WIN XP over WIN 98SE?

I've got 1 PC I'm considering - It's a PII-350 with 128MB RAM, and it's about to get a 120GB Hard drive.

I've also got a PII-550, but that can stay as a WIN 98SE machine, as a load of the stuff it has (Like scanners, etc), are not WIN XP supported! Bloomin' hardware manufacturers!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Min Specs for WIn XP?

Post by Raptor »

We've run XP on P II 350s with 256 or better in Ram. 128 is bare minimum for XP in just about any configuration. A better solution would be to move the 98 only hardware over to the 350, and then put XP on the 550, but again the 350 will run XP reasonably well, hell I have a couple of PII 350s running 2KServer and serving webpages here at work....... XP will be a tad sluggish on the 350 compared to 98, and will run on 128 MB, but 256 would make the experience much smoother.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
El Brenty

RE: Min Specs for WIn XP?

Post by El Brenty »

Cheers Raptor!

I think I'll leave the upgrade for now and focus on a new system instead in the not so far future.

I don't want to alter anything in the 550, the extra RAM it has is needed for graphics applications used between capture and editing, and I'd rather put the cost of new RAM for the 350 into a new build.
Moderating behind the bushes!