USB vs Firewire

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

From what I can now make out, digital cameras actually suck, in that they don't transfer the video digitally in whole, but only transfer the video in real-time, passing over as much data as the link can handle, therefore dropping frames if the link is too slow!

Apart from the alightly better quality considerations, you may as well go back to an analogue camera, and a good video capture card if you don't have a good enough datalink!
Moderating behind the bushes!
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! What is the point of doing that? Surely...but...stupid digital cameras ...grrrr...feel like hitting myself....ouch.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by TommyPollock
How much does a Firewire chord cost? I heard it was about £40.
Regarding USB, just because its slower, why does it make quality poorer? Couldn't it just take longer to get it onto the PC, and keep the quality?
The data is coming from the camera at atpe speed, the link must be able to move the data being delivered from the tape at that same speed, if it can't, then dropped frames. The machine we use to edit has a Radeon all in wonder for analog caps and a firewire card for digi caps. The best resolution we can capture analog at is 320x240, the fire wire cap gives us 720 x 480 with zero dropped frames... Three port firewire card from TCWO in Orlando FL is $21.00, cables are $4.00
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

The best resolution we can capture analog at is 320x240, the fire wire cap gives us 720 x 480 with zero dropped frames... Three port firewire card from TCWO in Orlando FL is $21.00, cables are $4.00
Just as an update, I updated the Radeon drivers yesterday and now get full 720x480 analog caps... huh...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

wait a sec, is your USB thing connected to your analog out on your camera? or some kinda USB socket? if its analog, i know what you mean by the quality being degraded
[url=http://www.loosestscrew.tk]Loosest Screw Productions[/url]
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

firewire is by far the better option. It is less lilkely to drop frames and is much smoother running....