AK 47

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Sebastian

AK 47

Post by Sebastian »

I just finished building the AK47 and it looks great, a few issues that I should raise for anyone else attempting to build it:

If you have the equipment try using a band saw for all the straight edges on the body - much easier than using a jig saw.

Also, try using a chisel instead of a file to neaten up any overlap on the finished glued waepon

Use contact adhesive (you can get it in a spraycan) for a much quicker alternative to woodglue (this works better if you screw the pieces together, which to be fair you should do anyway)

Don't follow the guide for the screws - you can cover any non-aesthetic ones (i.e. the pan heads) with the outer detail if you wish - card is good for this.

Metal pipe works on the barrle too, I prefer it to plastic in that the end of the barrel looks more realistic (easy to finish too)

You can avoid the sights from breaking (which is noramally a problem when drilling mdf from te side) by either making the sight in two pieces and approacing with the "grain" or by using a handdrill after making a pilot hole.

That was about it - otherwise, makes a really good, all action AK47.

thanks.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Good tips, but I think this belongs in the tutorials section, or at least stunts and props.
Sigs suck a**.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

yeah, but great tips. my grandpa is a blacksmith and ive been begging him to TRY and make a decent weapon! (katana... :D)
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Hey Sebastian, glad you liked the tutorial :) The sights were a pain because MDF loses all its strength when you are trying to drill large hole inline with the 'layers' rather than through the outer surface.

Still haven't finished mine. Painted it black but haven't got around to doing the wooden bits etc.

[Moved from Special Effects]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I've been meaning to do this tutorail my self. How long roughly does it take to build, and can you post some footage of the final product mabye used in small combat scene or something ? :D
Sigs suck a**.
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

hm, yeah, upload a picture of it at least so we can have a look :D
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I think matt has pictures in his tutorial. Thats why I was asking for video, I want to see how it looks in video.
Sigs suck a**.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

I'm going to upload some pics when I've finished the other weapons I've been making - so far I've completed the AK47 from this tutorial, a desert eagle Magnum, MP40, Thompson and Makarov - I'm working on an M1 Garand -

I should probably explain that I'm an Arts student at Oxford and hence have a HENCH amount of video software etc that I haven't tried to use yet so I thought I'd make a large sclae war movie - I will psot some pics when the guns are finished but the paint style I'm going for is not realistic - the weapons are white with balck detail and red fake wood effect.

As for time - The weapons I've made not from the tutorial took about 3-5 hours each - less for the pistols - all I did is found the overall measureents - printed out an iamge, blew it up to the right size and then followed a similar system of building up layers in varying thickness of MDF - also, I've been using a router to put effective and very accurate ejextor slots and grooving on my props.

as for the AK - that took me about 2 days studio work as it was the first one I made.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

OOOOH Post some pics!!!!
JackBauerII

Pics

Post by JackBauerII »

I'd definitely like to see some pics. esecially of the MP40 and the Makarov!
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Pics

Post by DEDFX »

this threads like 2 years old, don;t think he's posting any pics :)
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

I noticed that after I posted. Nazi Sentry? I'm a little offended by that.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

He was a bit of a tool, and left after people got sick of his antics and called him out.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

You really think hes gone, or just has a new identity?

/shifty eyes...
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

lol. We had such a big fight over his name. Good times...
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com