Hand Through Head

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

cwf

Hand Through Head

Post by cwf »

Im currently doing a film course and next week we have to present our concepts to the rest of the class and then we will decide which 1 we are going to make into a film. Wel my group have decided to do a fight between God and Satan.

We want God to put his fist through satans head at the end any ideas how we could do this. Or any ideas on other cool effects we could use in this fight?

Thanks
Passit

Post by Passit »

this could spark off a whole debate on whether god would resort to violence in such a situation!!!
'Pain is temporary, film is forever'
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yes it could.. you can just use masking, or you can build a fake head. If it's satan, well, that might be easier becuase you don't need to construct something that looks humman.
Sigs suck a**.
cwf

Post by cwf »

how would i use masking, i am quite new to adobe at the moment

The overall plot is that god is getting revenge on satan for all the evil and terrorism he has released on the world. But it turns out that it was all a daydream by a boy anyway
Grant

Post by Grant »

i would avoid CGI, but that is me
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, latex head filled with blood sacks would be my route. And if you feel like going to the extra effort, I'd have Gods hand alight in blue flame (use fondue fuel).
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

well there are many ways to do anything. here are some ideas ive had.

if the shot is being filmed from the side it could be done by shooting one actor pushing his hand through where the head will be then film the other actors reaction and mask them together along together with gore and maybe some hand animated blood spatter and gore. although it may look fake if you dont put enough effort into it it will look way better than a fake head being punched. I do not like models being used when you give too much to look at.

if however you would like to get creative... imagine the two fighting then cut to the back of satans head, a hand breaks through it gore going everywhere...

to do this make a paper mache head (note that the shot will only require the back of the head to be made... but building the whole head will make the head look "fuller") and use a bloody red colored paper for all the lower layers then pure white for the few top layers. then use a warmed up plastecine that is somewhat pink in color to cover the head and smooth the shape out so that it doesnt have the ugly paper mache texture. then once the whole head is smooth you can cover it with some latex with foundation as a pigment mixed with it. then get a wig if the character has hair and score a hole in the wig at the back. before shooting fill the paper mache head with gore blood bags and maybe even some lambs brains baught from the grocery store. then scream action punch a hole through the back of the head pull the hand out and through the hole you will see god smirking or whatever.

after that shot you can cut to the front of satan with a green sheet of paper surrounded by a gore latex piece... take a backplate of the shot then get satan in act like hes just been hit in the head falls backwards then in AE take the green out and use the backplate. Or if your not into that much work a side shot with some gore maybe on satans face then he falls backwards that way...

the point is i prefer when a model is used that it be a shot that is quick and could just as well be a real head, so the shot from the back of the head taking up the whole frame will look really convincing a shot of the front of his face using a model will look really fake and useless ultimately.

if you havent the time and need to use cgi then you will need to do it somewhat to what i said at the top... hope i helped good luck and show us the finished shot
cwf

Post by cwf »

thanks for your help guys, im still not sure about masking tho, is it just layering in adobe premiere?

Any ideas on other effects i could use in the battle eg how to do a blast from satans hand at God or a fireball etc
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

I was going to say about the latex head and put a hood over it so you dont have to do all the little details then have the actors hand go through the fake head. It WILL look better than CGI unless you have a pro CGI animator there...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I would avoid CGI as much as possible as well grant.

A paper machie head will look obviously fake, expescially if your trying to recreate a humman head. I do NOT recommend it at all. Nazis got a better idea. You can make a latex back of the head, and then have the character wear a hood/cape for this purpose ( Who knows, it could make him look badass if you want ) and then have it cut right, so the actor can just WHAM his hand through, and you would have the blood loaded in already, so the blood just comes spurrting out. This would probably work a 115% better then a paper mache head, becuase it just looks that much better. It would deffintly look better then cgi , if done right. Thats a good idea ya got there nazi.

Blasts from the hands and such, well if you don't want to use fireworks, you can always use stock footage. This site links to detination films, which has lots of fireball stock footage and stuff like that. Not the best in the world, but for something at your films level, it will look pretty cool.
Sigs suck a**.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I would also consider using latex with a plaster of paris skull beneath it. Depending on what you're using to bust it open you could leave it whole, or pre-section it. The inner layer will soak up a bit of blood, and look about as close to the inside of a skull as I can imagine, but the outside (beneath the latex) will stay nice and white, so the audience really gets an actual head-like impression of it. Paper mache will not work very good, to get actual skull like thickness will take far too much time, and unless you let every layer dry then paint it it will wind up looking like newspaper.
And the latex was originally my idea.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Using my (great idea :D ) use the eejit insectiside sprayer tutorial (dont have a link on me) with the latex head. have the sprays set to go off at the same time and WHAM! SPRAY! GORE! BLOOD! AAAGGGHHHH MY HAND'S ALL STICKY! EWWWWW......! :lol:
Monty_PythonFjords

Post by Monty_PythonFjords »

NaziSentry wrote:Using my (great idea :D ) use the eejit insectiside sprayer tutorial (dont have a link on me) with the latex head. have the sprays set to go off at the same time and WHAM! SPRAY! GORE! BLOOD! AAAGGGHHHH MY HAND'S ALL STICKY! EWWWWW......! :lol:
That would be: http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/blood/index.html

Also blood recipie: http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/blood/blood.html

Anyway, why does god have to win? In an ideal world he would, but in an Ideal world there would be no Nazis or capitalists.

And don't forget that god is black.
So's Jesus - that's why he couldn't get a fair trial LOL
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

The ideal world he would, but this is a film!!! Anything can happen, including the aypcolpise! Can you post this flick when it's done? Sounds good.

God is white!!
Sigs suck a**.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

i hope you liked my idea... Even though CGI is at our fingertips, dosent mean we have to use it! :D

Thanks Monty_PythonFjords for giving the link!

(God is Morgan Freeman... lol)