How Serious Are You?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

shawneous

How Serious Are You?

Post by shawneous »

I'm curious how many in this forum are really serious about filmmaking. By serious I mean this is what you want to do with the rest of your life. Personally, I want this more than anything else professionally and I will make it or die trying. I live at home with my parents (even though I have a university degree and a job) and pour all of my time and income into it because I can't see myself doing anything else. Now I know a fair amount of you are younger than I but the question still applies, how serious are you? I think it may take me more than a decade of all my time and money to break in. How far and long are you willing to go? Or are you just screwing around...
http://www.nelsonentertainment.com
GreedoShootsFirst

Post by GreedoShootsFirst »

Well...I'm in University right now (and hating every moment of it because it's delaying me from getting anything I want for it...yes, that sounds whiney) and I'm adamant about filmmaking...Like you, I can't see myself doing anything else with my life...I won't settle for anything less...I am personally willing to do anything...be it self-castration, selling new-borns, peddling drugs and prostitutes to raise money, killing someone, eating human flesh etc. to get to where I want to be...I'm perfectly willing to live in my parent's basement living off of cat food and Sprite, working my behind off...Are you criticizing everyone or something?
shawneous

Post by shawneous »

thanks for the jerk reply. the post wasn't meant to sound self righteous, just to find out if people on this forum are just passively doing filmmaking as a hobbie or are severely dedicated. It's a long road and if you aren't 100% there, you'll fail. That's all.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

I'm deadly serious. I've been making films for 10 years & one day hope to do it for a living.

I think to get notices seriously, you need to make a feature & raise eyebrows of those who watch it.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Serious DOES NOT mean your doing this for a creear. It means you have a passion for filmmaking. It means you love what you do. It does not mean anything more. Mushiman spends what? Literally nothing on each film, and is very very serious about his work.

I'm not in collage yet, but will be going to collage for film. I hold 2 jobs in filmmaking, one is editing - mainly composting - for a small company, the other is my own little business, we film weddings, birthday parties. ect. Althougth some people may hate me becuase I say I have money to spend on a film, theres nothing wrong with spending more money if it's needed. Theres nothing wrong with spending 2$ either.

Asking this question is bound to bring up problems. Just becuase people arn't doing it for a creear does not mean they arn't serious. I would say 99.9 precent of the people here ARE serious. They love doing this, and a lot of them are really happy with their current position, which is spending nothing, just having fun using what they have. Thats what the word low buget is all about, and it dosn't mean anything less of them. Now, if you entitled the thread, filmmaking, are you going for a profesion? It would be a bit different, but serious DOES NOT mean having a job.
Sigs suck a**.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I too am quite serious about filmmaking. It is one of the most important things to me, and forever will be. My aspirations aren't quite like most people I've met. Most say they are "destined" to become a big "hollywood director." I, on the other hand, have no huge interest in directing. I would much rather be a Director of Photography. It's just what interests me more, and I know I can be more passionate about it.

I also agree that being serious and passionate does not entail holding a job in the industry. It does, however, require that you strive for better, and constantly work to improve yourself; constantly challenging yourself.
Erm... yeah...
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

I3lade203 wrote:Serious DOES NOT mean your doing this for a creear. It means you have a passion for filmmaking. It means you love what you do. It does not mean anything more. Mushiman spends what? Literally nothing on each film, and is very very serious about his work.

I'm not in collage yet, but will be going to collage for film. I hold 2 jobs in filmmaking, one is editing - mainly composting - for a small company, the other is my own little business, we film weddings, birthday parties. ect. Althougth some people may hate me becuase I say I have money to spend on a film, theres nothing wrong with spending more money if it's needed. Theres nothing wrong with spending 2$ either.

Asking this question is bound to bring up problems. Just becuase people arn't doing it for a creear does not mean they arn't serious. I would say 99.9 precent of the people here ARE serious. They love doing this, and a lot of them are really happy with their current position, which is spending nothing, just having fun using what they have. Thats what the word low buget is all about, and it dosn't mean anything less of them. Now, if you entitled the thread, filmmaking, are you going for a profesion? It would be a bit different, but serious DOES NOT mean having a job.
I'm kind of serious, i mean we do it for fun, according to i3lade if u cant buy a 8 dollar bottle of fake blood, then well its not worth it :wink: ....seriously tho im into it, were workin on our feature right now, we might get around to filming some weekends, but were so busy, im going into computers not the film industry
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I'll also add that I don't feel it necessary to be in Hollywood productions in order to be successful. In fact, I'm not even expecting anything of that sort. I'm just hoping to get a job working as a DP on larger indie features and things of that sort. Hollywood is not the only way to be successful.
Erm... yeah...
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

Yeh, but in this day and age your going to have to look for a job that can support you the rest of your life, so im going to go for Computers, computers will always be around...So Erm...yeah... :P anyway yeah i cant stand nor could i stand doing movies 12 hours a day, or something, wouldnt be for me
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

ill do anything to get in... (yeah, anything)
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Yeah Im going to film school next year. I hope to at least have a job in the film industry, no matter what it is. Im aiming for directing though.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

pan-modo_pictures wrote:Yeah Im going to film school next year. I hope to at least have a job in the film industry, no matter what it is. Im aiming for directing though.
Same here I transfer to Webster Universities Film Program next fall. While I am serious about filmaking I enjoy writing script just as much. I am kind of lucky my wife also is studying film more on the editing side than me but it makes collaboration easy.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I really do want to make films after college or whatever. I'm 14, never had any other job so I REALLY don't see myself doing anything else. But, I don't intend to make small little-budget movies like CamClub, Musiman, or Matt for 10 years; life is very short and I don't wanna waste it.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I wouldn't really call the films those guys have made wasting their lives...

But I honestly don't care if I go to Hollywood or make lots of money off of this, just as long as I get to do it for a living.
shawneous

Post by shawneous »

Hollywood is irrelevant to me. It's getting paid good money so I can afford to do nothing but make movies, that would be awesome. I'd never retire.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thats good. I agree with everyone above. Hollywood dosn't mean serious or not serious. I also agree with browncow, I can't tell you how many times someone has said " i'm gonna be a director" You people don't realize how hard it is to get that kind of job do you??
Sigs suck a**.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I plan on attending film classes at BYU in a few years, that sort of sums up my seriousness.
@seanbagley
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well gyro, you were serious enough already. Filmclassess mean sure you have some money to spend on going to a class for film. It's fun. That dosn't make you serious. Gyro , the way you handle your films is what makes you serious personally, which is good.
Sigs suck a**.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I really can't see myself doing anything ealse, well maybe writing about movies. I don't have to be some huge director, but I would like to. though if all I ever end up doing is writting scripts I would be happy I think. Eather way, I just want to win an Oscer.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, we all have huge fantasies, but it's the people who think it can become reality with the snap of a finger that are wrong. It takes a lot of work, and if you think in reality, it's not just going to happen like that.
Sigs suck a**.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I'm totally commited! A new film school just opened here in Utah I think this year, after I graduate I'm thinking I might try it out. I'm serious enough I'd even try to get into a big film festival in about 10 -15 years.
I plan on attending film classes at BYU in a few years
HA U of U for me!!
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I don't think I would be able to do this as a profession for the rest of my life, but I may end up doing a few freelance, made-for-TV movies, but not as a carreer. I DO, on the other hand, see this as being a hobby for the rest of my life
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

2nd_Recon wrote:I don't think I would be able to do this as a profession for the rest of my life, but I may end up doing a few freelance, made-for-TV movies, but not as a carreer. I DO, on the other hand, see this as being a hobby for the rest of my life

/agree going to film school is kind of exspensive, computers computers computers i say!
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

For me the thought of this being a hobby just sends a shiver down my spine. I'll I have to live for IS movie-making, if I can't do that, then I don't know what I'd do.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Kentertainment wrote:I'm totally commited! A new film school just opened here in Utah I think this year, after I graduate I'm thinking I might try it out. I'm serious enough I'd even try to get into a big film festival in about 10 -15 years.
Your missing the point. :roll:
Sigs suck a**.