Zombies and headless corpses!!!

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Chainsaws_R_Fun

Zombies and headless corpses!!!

Post by Chainsaws_R_Fun »

If you have read my Zombie Death script, you will know that at one point, a character is attacked by a headless zombie. In Evil Dead 2 they use a dummy of some sort, and film it from the waist up. I actually need to have my corpse fumbling around, and finally falling out of a window. Will someone tell me how to do this? Also, any tips on making believable zombies would be appreciated. Thanks.
Life is like a big joint. You pack in as much as you can, and when you're finished, you pass on.

Made that'un up me'self.
dno

Post by dno »

Have a read through this. It may help.

With a little bit of clever editing, you could cut between a real person and this dummy (based on the actor) and make it do anything your heart desires.

http://www.vilethings.com/_other_me___t ... double.htm
west1200

Post by west1200 »

well if you know how to use green screen couldnt you use one of those green masks? or mabe some green paint
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Well, the three ways I would try doing it would be

1) Have the actor pull his head into the shirt :P Probably the most effective if you can get it to look right
2) Film the guy on a bluescreen, key out the background and attempt to mask out his head
3) Paint his head green, put the camera on a tripod and don't move it, and then key out his head with the other background behind it.

Maybe a combination of the three--whatever looks best for a particular shot. Maybe the Sleepy Hollow DVD has something about how they did it. There was even one scene where the guy pretends to be the headless horseman but had his head under a cloak.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Pick up the Director's Cut of the new Dawn of the Dead, watch all the special features and you should be more set then you'll ever be.
@seanbagley
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Get a a compoister program such as affter effects. You can mask the actors head right out of the video, if you did not know. You film the actor as a zombie, head IN the shot, and then the background with nothing else in it. Now in affter effects, you place both footage into the compisiton, create an animated mask around the actors head, and you can know mask the head out, and have it overlay onto the other footage, having no head , just a body. It's not going to be a perfect cut though, it may look a little werid without the costume looking great, ( Eg lots of blood ) and without the lighting set.
Sigs suck a**.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Make sure to have the camera on a tripos for it to work with the masking.
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

not nessesary, i should make a tutorial for you guys how to extract clean moving backplates for your shots, once you know how to do that then your mind wont be locked down like the camera is. Simplest way would be to get a green pillow case and make a mask out of it for the actor to wear then use latex appliances around the neck to simulate the severed neck... also you will need tracking markers near the base of the neck so that if the character bends forward and hes wearing the green mask it will look like his neck is hollow... a substitute neck ( the area covered by the actual neck) needs to be painted in or animated
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

find a hobo, take a chainsaw.........
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

find an unpopular hobo then the chainsaw, if the hobo has friends their gonna notice he's missing and either dob you in or maybe all they will do is steal all his stuff.