Does anyone use Apples for editing.

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Does anyone use Apples for editing.

Post by Jass Films »

As i find Apple the best computer for film editing but everyone here seems to talk about premiere. I believe premier is good for editing and i used it for my movie. But i edited a school camp video (and got $250 for doing it) using the very basic imove but the quality of imovie was 100 times better. So i was wondering whether anyone uses an apple for editing, whether it Imovie or final cut etc. that you use.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Apples are only good for eating
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'm surprised anyone even bothered replying to this posting Adam! LOL!:P
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Apples are over rated, over priced pieces of cr**. If fianl cut was cheeper, and didn't make you render ever five minutes, then it would be better. For what i payed for my top end dell, I could maybe get a low end apple. Adam is right apples are only good for eating. I could go on, but out of good tast I won't.
bangoker

Post by bangoker »

ive never liked apple ...

what I want is an Alienware computer. Now, THAT is some video editing hardware
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Hell yes.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I take that as a no, no one else uses apples. But let me know if it's just me but other than AVID, apples are the preferred option for professional editing. They may cost alot, but that is because last, and they are well built. There harddrives are able to hold much better quality video files, at a much smaller files size. Final Cut Express, is basically the same as premiere, even though final cut professional isn't, express is. Apple also come with everything you need except for a vido camera, and by the time you buy all the equipment you need for a Windows computer you end up paying a fortune anyway.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

There harddrives are able to hold much better quality video
Like the quality gets affected by the type of hard drive you have! Right, okay!

I used an apple mac once - Can't believe there was only 1 button on the mouse! Had to keep going through menus because there wasn't any right-click context-sensitive help!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

You say we spend a fourtun, how much does Final Cut cost? Way to damn much.
"Final Cut Pro 4.0
$999.00
Whether you work in film, HD, SD, or DV, Final Cut Pro 4 has the creative tools, professional features, and flexibility to meet the grueling demands of the post-production industry."
That is from Apple's site. Premier is just as good, and anybody that says macs are better comps is also barking up the wrong tree, their hds are no better, and their ram/prossesers only now are getting close to what a PC can do. Apple is only know for editing because they have a PR machine behind Final cut, and because a few hollywood types, like Stephan Sodaberg like macs. I saw screw Apple PC's are the future.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I just lovea good old MAC/PC argument.:P
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Does anyone remember those Apricot computers????
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

The new powermac G5 - now with a 2 GHz Processor! (to bad that's already considered slow!) I'll stick to a nice 3Ghz PC

www.macssuck.com

pip

Post by pip »

you dumb bas**rds!!
Apple Macs s**t on PC's from a great height!!
i regulary use both for editing and it is a FACT that a G4 cube is far more powerful than a dual processor P4 PC, this is to do with the type of chips that are used, and until PC's stop using outdated 8080 chips, Mac's will always be far superior in editing terms.
This is the reason that Apple Mac's are the industry standard on both sides of the Atlantic.
So stop being a bunch of technophobes and accept that these beasts, however unfriendly they may seem to you ARE the dogs bo**ocks!! and if anyone really does believe that their PC is more powerful, then mail me and i'll sell you a 'fisher price my first computer' to help improve your edits.

Life's a b**ch when your depending on Microsoft!!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I would sooner be Bill Gates b**ch any day, then shell out the money to buy Mac stuff. They are no faster, I have seen reoprts that prove both sides. Besides last time I used a mac, a g3 two years ago, with final cut 3, the damn thing locked up, took hours to render, and refused to work. I'll stick with my PC any day of the week.
At lest I can play games while my stuff is rendering, what are you going to do on a mac?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Originally posted by pip
you dumb bas**rds!!
Apple Macs s**t on PC's from a great height!!
i regulary use both for editing and it is a FACT that a G4 cube is far more powerful than a dual processor P4 PC, this is to do with the type of chips that are used, and until PC's stop using outdated 8080 chips, Mac's will always be far superior in editing terms.
This is the reason that Apple Mac's are the industry standard on both sides of the Atlantic.
So stop being a bunch of technophobes and accept that these beasts, however unfriendly they may seem to you ARE the dogs bo**ocks!! and if anyone really does believe that their PC is more powerful, then mail me and i'll sell you a 'fisher price my first computer' to help improve your edits.

Life's a female dog when your depending on Microsoft!!
In my other life I design Sonar Systems making use of a large amounts of distributed processing and either Dedicated DSP processors are used or P4's, the MAC doesn't even get a lookin and never will.:P
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The PC vs Mac debate is like talking about the death penalty for burglars !!! Even the people who don't support it will happily kill the opposition during the resulting argument ...

Although when the final battle takes place on earth between PC users and Mac users I would have to be on the PC side ..... I have noticed the Apple G5 benchmarks creaming the P4. Now I would never buy one just in case my friends saw me with it :) but the G5 architecture does seem to offer big advantages over the PC.

However at the moment developing software on a PC is thousand times easier than on a Mac, This means there are plenty of people writing utilities, codecs, encoders etc for the PC first. Microsoft is evil and all that, but there is lots of choice in the PC software domain.

I've always hated Macs, only one mouse button, power switch next the floppy disc eject, software eject, having to drag the floppy to the trash can to eject (!!!!!!) etc. But at the moment Apple is at least doing somethings right.

Anyone here use Linux ... opps that should be another thread !
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

My brother is chomping at the bit to get lenix on his computer, even but XP is very protective of being the only OS on the masheane. See with a PC you can change OS's with a mac, you have Mac os or well thats about it.
pip

Post by pip »

why would anyone want to be Bill Gates Bi*ch when he is the anti christ!
Why would the industry bother to use Macs as standard if PC's are far superior?
Have any of you even used a Mac?

You may be able to play games whilst rendering on your PC, but that is because a PC is a general all rounder, which isn't really exeptional at anything, except perhaps typing letters kind of like your average family car. Whereas the Apple Mac is a dedicated multi-media tool and generally cr** at everything else, BUT it is the ferrari of edit systems!!

Just because you people don't have the patience to wait for rendering doesn't mean you should write them off, as they say....

the best things in life are worth waiting for..............................................................except for the next version of windoze!!!

p.s keep your cash out of Bill Gates pockets and use a Mac
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

So I can pay stevie jobs $3000 for a low end mac, when I could get a Pc that is just as good and all my software for the same price. Have I used a Mac? Why yes I have, I used a mac back in the apple II days. Once I got a PC I was hooked. So what if it's a "dedicated multi-media" platform, the stuff that it sucks at, everything can hinder your editing. I might have said I was bill gates b**ch, but that is because windows runs everything, and while it crashes it works. My last expereance with a mac made me want to tear out my hair, and kill somebody, it locked up, crashed and took forever to do anything. It p*** me off that I had to render the entire project after every effect because final cut desided to edit the raw footage, insted of just takeing notes, and doing it at the end.
Mac's are just desiner comps for celebritys that think they make them look cool, people who have to have trendy looking houses, and those that think, oh this is more expensive it must be great.
bangoker

Post by bangoker »

well, about the bill gates b**ch issue

pip, do you know Microsoft is a mayor owner of Apple? Bill Gates bought a hell lot of their stocks so the company could keep on, cause it was a bout to go bankrupt.

so, even if you use mac, you are a Bill Gates b**ch
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

For the mac users, how many of you have microsoft office? See.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

i can see pip is on my side for this one, but i must say,
However at the moment developing software on a PC is thousand times easier than on a Mac
What does this have to do with editing? I prefer to use PC for gaming, i even make games solely for PC. Visit my site and you will see. But for editing, Mac does boot PC up the bottom and send them to the tip then dance on their remains. Why do people start saying the 2ghz is dodgy when a 2ghz mac processor is more like a 4ghz PC processor! The power ratios for the different systems are very different. trust me as a user of both systems.
I prefer apples for editing as they are much more reliable and have a better output quality. I don't give a poo whether wihich computer is faster. That is not important and the current fast speeds computers are going at.
nbkm

Post by nbkm »

Hi everybody.
I'm a professional video editor and i work in a big company.Here we have both pc and mac in every room and i must say that apple is really awesome!
With a mac and the right hardware you can work at any quality, I mean S.D.I. video standard definition, with a bitrate of 25 MBps. You only need a G4 with an sdi card and a couple of scsi hard disk, Final Cut allows you to work on a timeline with up to 99 nestable tracks and infinite audio channels. the price of the hardware is around 10 thousands euro.
To do the same job with a pc you need at least an AVID machine which cost is more than 30000 euro.
So you can work at home with softwares like premiere, it's ok for DV (3,5 MBps) but if you want to turn professional you have to consider to buy a mac. You will never see Premiere in a professional video editing studio. It doesn't matter they called it Premiere Pro
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well if I go pro then I won't even be working in digital, they call if film. And I'm not agist apples software I know final cut kicks a** I hate apples themselves, the physical computer sucks. Every time I use one, I just want to throw the damn thing out a window and commet ritual suiside.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by foxwood]
Lee

Post by Lee »

Originally posted by foxwood
Well if I go pro then I won't even be working in digital, they call if film. And I'm not agist apples software I know final cut kicks a** I hate apples themselves, the physical computer sucks. Every time I use one, I just want to throw the damn thing out a window and commet ritual suiside.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by foxwood]
I agree with you on that one.
'Sod the candles, I'm in love.'