Does anyone use Apples for editing.

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Most games are widows based becasue of one person, John carmack, because he made Quake with DriectX and openGL, and everybody has followed suit. you say that when given a fair chance people becaome less harsh, I gave macs a chance a year ago, and hate them more. And this is after switching to a PC in the early 90's.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I recenly got seriously p***. I was in a conversation with someone who I did a short video promo for, and they were talking highly of someone who is also into editing (17, just one year older than me) but said that they expected more professional stuff from them because they have a studio with everything Mac and I have a PC. I can't stuff like that! :mad:

All macs are good for is attching to bar bells to add extra weight! :D

The guy also tried to get me to consider getting a G5 for my next computer....

I posed the following question...

What am I supposed to do with all of my software, which is worth quite a bit.

He replied: "Well it's an investment, but it will do wonders".

I laughed and walked away (and he wasn't laughing :D
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

In the end it is the skill of the editer not there software. If you have the right stuff, the output from a PC and from a Mac will be the same. Hell most of the time you will be using the same third party stuff, the biggist diffrece is that you have to change from Premeare or vagas to Final Cut.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

The truth is, i have used the basic imovie on an imac, then i made a movie using premiere for editing. The quality was extremely different, imovie having far better quality. Now don't get me wrong, premiere is very powerful, about 10 time more powerful then imovie, however, imovie is a breeze to use. Premiere is easy, but alot of what i could do in premiere, i managed to find a way to do it in imovie. I was paid $250 to edit a video of a 14 day COZ tour (a trip into the center of Australia), and i edited it on imovie. As foxwood said it is how you use the editing system, and i recieved awesome feedback from the film and have been asked to edit together another film for them, again being paid. I have also used Premiere 6.5 for my movie. After outputing that to DVD, i compared the quality of the DVD to VHS of the COZ video. Man, the VHS kicked the DVD's a** in quality.

I personally believe, that macs are far better for video editing as they require less setup, are totally digital, and most importantly, easy to use. (once you get over the whole windows system technical cr**, and start thinking "hey if i just thought about what would be a normal way to open the Hard drive (click the HD button), are well, thats smart..." You'll find macs are very straight forward compared to Windows.

Now i'm not saying Windows are bad, just that they are not as good for video editing.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

a normal way to open the Hard drive (click the HD button),
but thats what i do to open the hard drive. duble click on the HD icon. And after looking back at the stuff I made in final cut and the stuff I did in Vagas, mind you I used the same cam and such for both products so thats not an issue. I would say that the quality was better out of Vagas. It seems with premeare you have to fittle with codes to get the best result. I personaly am not a premear fan. but then I am less a fan of Fianl cut, and have never used imovie, almost got to but unforchetly Imovie can not import clips off the harddrive, so I couldn't use it to edit the angloge video that I had shot and captured, but my PC programs could......:D
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Originally posted by foxwood
...and have never used imovie, almost got to but unforchetly Imovie can not import clips off the harddrive, so I couldn't use it to edit the angloge video that I had shot and captured, but my PC programs could......:D
Actually iMovie can import quicktime files in the DV codec. If you have a Mac you can get Quicktime Pro for about $25 and convert any video file to DV format Quicktime and then import it. That's not bad when iMovie is free :)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

But that required buying quick time, with my PC stuff, I could have used the captured MP2 files, which I think imovie should have been able to read anyway.
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Which is why I pointed out that iMovie is free, whereas on a PC you would have to pay (probably more than the $25 for Quicktime Pro) for a decent editor. :)
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I can't stand when people say that macs have a so much better output. I seen videos rendered on both, and they both have equal quality (they can both use the same mpeg 2 codecs for instance, so what's the difference?). And what is this about macs being "all digital", so are PC's! Unless of course you are using an analog capture card, which is availiable for both.

Besides, if PC's had that bad of an output, they wouldn't use them for 3d animation and major movie editing.

------EDIT------------

URGENT NEWS UPDATE:

According to a test of current Syatems, The fastest Pentium 4's and Athlons have slaughtered the Mac G5 in render times for Bryce of all programs...

Test results.....

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Besides, if PC's had that bad of an output, they wouldn't use them for 3d animation and major movie editing.
That's why they don't.... Most of the major films are done on macs for 3D animation and film editing... Especially 3D animation, this is because the macs have far better graphics then the "PC's". I bet if you went to any major film editing studio they would use either a mac or avid for editing and animation.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I still think many of the times it is because people think that they have to have a mac, to do things that they have them, that and I think Apple is sucking holloywoods D!ck.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I still think many of the times it is because people think that they have to have a mac, to do things that they have them, that and I think Apple is sucking holloywoods D!ck.
Or maybe, they are just better for editing...
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

By the way, Most Avid systems run on a PC or mac, they are not a separate entity. So when you say an "AVID", you are simply talking about a PC or Mac with connected real-time acceleration equipment such as Avid mojo. Also I noticed you didn't comment on the G5 test I posted. Oh well, I guess MAC users are forever brainwashed.

Oh before I forget, For much of Avids equipment, they list the PC first in the list of specs. So, would some die-hard mac user care to explain this?.....

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Also I noticed you didn't comment on the G5 test I posted
I felt no need to, as i know that the G5 is the fastest ever proccessor. Although PC "brainwashed" people do not realise this, but the mac and PC proccessors run on different hz ratios.

And as for the PC listings, maybe thats because there are more PC "brainwashed" people out there then mac users. However all of the computer technicians i know say that the macs are far better than windows. They may not own one but they know they are far more secure, i mean look at all the updates you have to download for them? Oh and all the virus's they get? How come its always the PC's that get the virus's, will one of you PC "brainwashed" people care to explain that... And why is the microsoft site full of updates to fix problems with windows, when the mac does not require any updates whatsoever, would one of you PC "brainwashed" people care to explain that. Why is it that PC's have about 300 cables hanging out the back of it when the macs only have 1 or 2??? Why is that all the PC "brainwashed" people were all brought up using windows, therefore macs seem like the "darkside" (Quote from a university film and television teacher)???

It seems to me that if you PC "brainwashed" people want to keep giving Bill Gates thousands of dollars, by using a totally unsecure high risk cheap a** crappy system, go for. Just don't put macs down unless you have used both computers for the same lengths of time.

The way i see it is are very different companies out there. I shall compare Sony to Teac shall we. Teac is cheap, yet it will not last as long as the Sony... Lets have a look at Mac and PC now. PC is cheaper, yet requires much more work to keep it running, and will not last anywhere near as long as a mac. I personally would pay the extra money for a Sony or a Mac then try and save money, when in the future it is only gonna end up costing more......

Sorry i had to write so much. But i felt a need to explain my point a bit better.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

For your info, I have had plenty experience with macs, as I have been forced to use them for the past 3 years. They've frozen, took long lengths of time to load programs, and in fact, it even took me 10 minutes to transfer a picture froma webpage onto a word document. Also, what is it with macs that dragging a music file from a cd into a folder only makes a shortcut. That is extremely retarted.

Also, the virus question can be answered with a simpl;e statement: more people use windows then mac. If more people used mac, it would be just as simple for virus writers to start their focus on MAc, which would resulkt in the same amount of problems. As far as the updates, most of them pertain to security, due to the reason I stated above. But as I said, mac doesn't have to worry about this due to its reletively small user population.

As far as the wires go, the number of wires you have "hanging" out of the back of your computer soley depends on your accessories. I've seen macs that looked like a spider's web in back.

Anyway, mac wille evntually phase out, as
linux seems to be catching up to Windows at a rapid rate.

By the way, you may be interested to know that there is a new technology developing in processors that will make them many times faster. And considering that Sony, who has their fare share of the PC market, has a large part in it, I don't think they will be premiering on Macs anytime soon

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

i mean look at all the updates you have to download for them? Oh and all the virus's they get? How come its always the PC's that get the virus's
Simple because why would I spend the time and write a virus for a platform that most people don't use. The Mac is relitvly safe because the people that attack systems want to hit the most people, thats why they attack windows. I'm sure if a hacker, who knows OSX sat down they could just as esayly puch into that OS.

Who cares about speed, they are both fast and for the record a PC can last for ages with very little work as long as it is taken care of, same with a mac. Also I have seen two year old macs run like s*** compared too a Two year old PC, well maybe the G3's were just cr**.

Most PC "Brainwashed" people are not "Brainwashed" they are just using what everybody ealse is. And actualy many of us were brought up using Mac's because they were around first. Hell I know I did. Yet now I'm back at a PC. Why do I use PC's because they can do everything I want and are cheeper. Where as if I bought a Mac, I would only be able to edit, and would miss out on all my gamming, also I'll admit it that I'm to lazy to learn another OS since, windows at times makes my head spin. And don't tell me OSX is better, or easyer because thats not the idea.

Also I don't care if my computer looks like some crazy neo art thing, Its a computer! And one last question what the fu*k up with those one butten mice?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Exactly.

You have to press control while you click in order to get the equivilent of a "right click" menu on a PC. Steve Jobs really makes me wonder sometimes.

And by the way, whats with the finder? Why can't I just close a program without having to go up to file>quit. Also, I can't stand it when you minimize a program, I had 4 programs running at once one time on a mac, and I had to struggle to find which window was which, among the sea of grey bars lying randomly on the screen, as opposed to my PC which lays them out all organized on the task bar.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It has somthing with hiding the programs or somthing, I don't remember, from the last time I was on a mac, I just know that they were in some menu, tucked away, and not at my finger tips on the bottom task bar, or the top task bar, if you have that (like my brother). And all the worded menues, like the top of a program, what is with that, i thought that kind of stuff in an OS went out with Windows 3.1.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

What can I say, mac is just screwed up.

And why is it that pictures have more trouble displaying from webpages with Macs. And its not the internet connection because in my school, pictures show up on the PC's but not the macs.

500 posts wooho!

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Originally posted by U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Exactly.

You have to press control while you click in order to get the equivilent of a "right click" menu on a PC. Steve Jobs really makes me wonder sometimes.
Well, that settles it, I'm converted. That's like that crazy BMW 7 series that makes you alter ALL of the climate control through ONE little dial! I am NEVER driving one of THOSE!

Or.... maybe you could, I dunno, plug in a 2 button mouse? Yeah, that would work.

May I respectfully suggest that this thread ends here. No one here is going to change their mind based on someone else's comments, and the original question has been answered.

BTW, has anyone here seen Intolerable Cruelty?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I'll agree on that. Who started this thing anyway. is Intalerable Crulty any good? I might have to rent that when it comes to DVD.
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

If you do rent it, let me know what you think of the editing :D
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I'm guessing it was done on a mac right? Since I know the coen brothers are very into digital film.
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Yes, you guessed it.

This one is pretty interesting too.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Well, I know they have a 2 button mouse for macs, but they should just include them with the actual computer.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking mac, becuase it just gets me agrivated. I am done posting on this thread...(distant cheers of die-hard mac users heard in the distance)
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios