Does anyone use Apples for editing.

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Originally posted by foxwood
Well if I go pro then I won't even be working in digital, they call if film. And I'm not agist apples software I know final cut kicks a** I hate apples themselves, the physical computer sucks. Every time I use one, I just want to throw the damn thing out a window and commet ritual suiside.
Argh! I can't resist being drawn into this argument any longer! For the record, a lot of film is edited digitally, ie. on high-end kit such as Final Cut Pro (and PC-based stuff too). So moving up to the pro level doesn't mean you're going to be splicing negatives from then on.

Also, as daft as these PC vs Apple arguments are, I think if you're going to say that Apples make you want to throw them out the window, you should state what the last model of Mac you used was and what you specifically didn't like about it. This is why, as a big Apple fan, I'm not going to have a go at PCs because I haven't really used one in years.

For the record, and for the sake of Jass who started this thread, you're not alone. I edit with Final Cut Express on a 17" Imac Superdrive and it rocks.

Rant over :-)
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Thanks TimXL1 for your support on this one.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Obviously PCs are better than Macs, but one fact remains, we should agree to disagree, and if someone using a Mac is happy with it, happy with just 1 mouse button, then C'est La Vie!

Let them be happy!

We're happy, they're happy, we're all happy, it's a perfect world! Aaaah, utopia feeling setting in again!
Moderating behind the bushes!
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Yes it is obvious... I mean look at the problems us Mac users have had with viruses and worms these past few weeks ;-)

Okay, that's the last of it, I promise! :-)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

i just keep up the argument because it is fun, It's like Star War vs Star Trek, or Republic Vs Demecrat. never endding but always fun as hell. I haven't been having problems with worms, peranoia helps.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Usually, when you are into film editing as I am, you spend a lot of money on software, and reghardless of how "fancy or advanced" the mac fans say they are, I'm not throwing out the all the programs I've invested in for my PC. so you can keep trying to get me to convert, but unless Steve Jobs hands me a check for all of my PC software, I remain Bill Gates bi*ch :P
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I mean look at the problems us Mac users have had with viruses and worms these past few weeks ;-)
I like it, thats a good call!!!

Anyways for those who are interested, if you go onto the apple site you can trade in your premiere cd and get the new final cut express FREE!!!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

With that trade in unless you have a very old version of Premeare your getting jiped. FCexpress $299 Premeare $699. Well i don't like being shortchanged $300 dollors.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Thats the way mac works, just look at thier computers...$2000+ for some, a major jip
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I might consiter switiching to a mac if they were a bit cheeper my Dell fully loaded with flat screan moniter and optional DVD RW drive only cost $2100, the G5's are what $3000. Well screw that, I have school to pay for.
GLiO

Post by GLiO »

Originally posted by bangoker
ive never liked apple ...

what I want is an Alienware computer. Now, THAT is some video editing hardware
I have an Alienware :) Just got it a few weeks ago.
[url=http://fs.glio.net]Five Star Productions[/url]
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

The reason Dells are so cheap is cause they have features like flat screens, DVD-R etc and make up for that expence with dodgy video & sound cards, motherboards etc. They may say they have the power, but they don't. Believe me, cause i have one, it is supposed to have a 1.4 ghz, yet my 800mhz comp runs heaps better (not as good as my macs though). And you guys shouldn't complain about the costs in america and all those other countries. A decent mac down here cost alot more than up there. I don't complain cause i know mac have better quality parts ans\d run smoother.

[Edited on 4-9-2003 by Jass Films]
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

First of all I'm a PC user. I get mad all the time with the bugs that windows have and I know that MAC are a lot more stable and have less bugs. I actually love the interface in MAC computers and I even use MAC skins for Opera and Winamp. I would be a MAC user if they didn't have compatability problems and the prices weren't too high. Believe me, a 2Ghz MAC is VERY strong!!! That's because Wnidows and MAC do not use the same source code (I think that's what it is called in English) .

But I'm not feeling ready to invest in a MAC because I will not be able to find software and (I think that's very important) games. Let's not argue about Apple and Microsoft. He is free to buy whatever he wants. So are you.
-Do you expect me to talk?
-No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

For the record the last mac I used was a G3, and I would defend my dell to the death. People who just by the comp are going to get the cheep sh*ty hardware. I have a great graphics card, a radion 9800 pro, and unless this is bizaro world thats top end. My whole resion for not switching is simpley compatablity.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by foxwood
You say we spend a fourtun, how much does Final Cut cost? Way to damn much.
"Final Cut Pro 4.0
$999.00
Whether you work in film, HD, SD, or DV, Final Cut Pro 4 has the creative tools, professional features, and flexibility to meet the grueling demands of the post-production industry."
That is from Apple's site. Premier is just as good, and anybody that says macs are better comps is also barking up the wrong tree, their hds are no better, and their ram/prossesers only now are getting close to what a PC can do. Apple is only know for editing because they have a PR machine behind Final cut, and because a few hollywood types, like Stephan Sodaberg like macs. I saw screw Apple PC's are the future.
Unfrotunately, Apples ARE a better machine. the microcode on the processor is descended from the older 68xxx series of Motoroal processors, and is much tighter code than Intels. Raw power measured in MHz means nothings.... that is simply how many clock ticks the processor can generate per second. the big question is how many clock ticks are required for the microcode of the processor to perform an operation. Unfortunately Apple's code generally runs in fewer cycles. If an instruction takes 4 cycles on a PC and two on a MAC then the 2GHz mac is 50% faster than the 3 GHz PC.. and that's just the facts of life. HOWEVER I still prefer my PCs, and when they make me work on a MAC I'll get out of the IT business! The true speed of a system is only as fast as the slowest component. So we take our 3GHZ processor and feed it data, at a rate of 400MHZ or less from the bus... now that either means that each of those instructions we are sending it at 400MHZ take a whole lot of ticks to run, or the processor is sitting idling for periods of time waiting for fresh data, either way using the clock speed of a system as as a benchmark is near to meaningless, kind of like using engine horsepower to measure a cars performance..it's kind of cool to know what it is, but the horsepower that gets transferred to the wheels is waht counts! When manufacturers start rating processors in 'instructions per second' then we will have a meaningful benchmark. Basicaklly we can say that two processors from the same manufacturer, the higher speed processor will run faster, but when you compare procs from different manufacturers, that simple clock speed measurement is totally worthless.
VBottom line is, Macs have been faster than PCs since day one, won't say they always will be, but for now they are. And they've always been a better video editing machine.. software aside, they render faster and generally cleaner. Those are just the sad facts. I base my observations on being in the IT industry for more years than I care to count... hell I remember when IBM released the PCjr.... I almost bought one... thank god I passed on THAT deal LOL
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

Post by Lorenzo_amateur_prods »

raptor is perfectly right guys... i am a mac user, converted from pcs, but i like both. for video editing, face it, pcs are built s*** and are less fast, but this guy has the answer:
I actually love the interface in MAC computers and I even use MAC skins for Opera and Winamp. I would be a MAC user if they didn't have compatability problems and the prices weren't too high. Believe me, a 2Ghz MAC is VERY strong!!! That's because Wnidows and MAC do not use the same source code (I think that's what it is called in English) .

But I'm not feeling ready to invest in a MAC because I will not be able to find software and (I think that's very important) games. Let's not argue about Apple and Microsoft. He is free to buy whatever he wants. So are you.
pcs started off first, bill gates was clever, he still is i have to admit, and apple cant catch up now in terms of prices and compatability, because pcs work pretty much everything but theyre not as clever internally, no where near as much as macs. i use a g4 17" superdirve like someone said, it rocks.

and camclub, just shouting out that pcs are better and just pretending to be happy not listening to any more is the kind of argument that we all liked to do in grade 4.. refusing to face the facts.... apples are pricey, often uncompatible, but they are better built, work better, are more reliable, more user friendly and simple, dont often crash... and for us video guys they are the most efficient solution.

and about the mouse, dunno who said it, there is absolutely nothing bad about the one button, if youve ever used a mac youll know that everything is interfaced so that you dont need it.. and apples mice use a more advenced design then all your microsoft and 'supercool logitech' which jam every five minutes, a more confortable fit, better optics, and even if you dont care they reduce greatly the risk of all illnesses like carpel tunnel syndrome.
For the mac users, how many of you have microsoft office? See.
eeeer microsoft office for mac, ever heard of that? i find it works better on mac than pc microsoft office LOL but thats just me, all the stuff above isnt

i dont hate pcs, im not saying macs are superior. But why do you have to rant on about fake facts like pcs are faster etc... whats the point? sorry for the long post.
-Cause i could just as well go and live in the hills, George...
-You could just as well go to hell. Shut up and sleep.

Lorenzo Lev
Lorenzo Amateur Productions
http://www.filmmaking.150m.com (Not finished yet)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Resion macs can be more stable then a PC all the hardware is made for apple, look at PC, well use mine.
The chipset is made by Intel
the drives are made by I don't know, probably cheep
The sound card is: creative
the video card is ATI
and so on, all diffrent comanys there are bound to be issues, also with multipul PC makers they try to under cut each other and use inferer parts to drive costs down, Apple doesn't do that, they just charge an arm and a leg get over it right.
But in the end both have there querks and will fall appart and have a system crash from time to time, because that is what computers do.
We all have our personal preferance, and such.
I love to argue as much as the next guy and will like a good southner never exsept change with out a fight, but I say who gives a fu*k about what type of comp we have, lets just end this argument!.
Fu*k Macs
Fu*k PC's
And most of all

FU*K Microsoft!
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

well said. hail the phrase 'because that is just what computers do.'

Lorenzo Lev
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Resion macs can be more stable then a PC all the hardware is made for apple
Are, well then what is PC hardware made for....

Ok that's the end i guess. I have to say Mac won the editing arguement. But did anyone actually answer the question i asked when i started this post?

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Jass Films]
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

I did! The answer: I do! :D
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

so do i... I DO!!!

Lorenzo Lev
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I answerd it. And when I said the part are made for apple I ment the company they parts are all going to work toghter with no little compy qurks.
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

lol. 'compy quirks' indeed...

Lorenzo Lev
donkeydoner

Post by donkeydoner »

Keep you mac's and Alienwares..... For web browsing...

SavRow.com

I just got a 4GHz P4.... With Hyperthreading enabled....

Made specifically for video editing... It eats Premiere...

It has been tested to be 30% faster than a dual 2Ghz Apple G5.... Either way it is completely awesome...

Anyone else?

[Edited on 2-10-2003 by donkeydoner]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well good for you, guy who must have cash to just burn.