Does anyone use Apples for editing.

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

think you lot all lost the plot. It's not about whether macs are better than PCs, or vice versa. Both computers have their own attributes, and the software has been geared up accordingly.

It's the abilities of the software and the users that perform the results. some of the arguements on here are just silly. Like for instance, comments about Macs having better graphics than PCs. Nonsense! If you start going into the professional graphics realm, you'll see the specs are through the roof!

The mouse button thing. Okay, so it's not a selling point for macs, but I can do the same things on my PC in CorelDRAW (Which was originally PC based), about 3 times faster than colleagues who use Apple Macs running Illustrator (which was originally Mac based), because they lack the context-sensitive functionality.

Macs are very rarely used in CAD applications. I have an ex-neighbour who designs oil-rigs, refineries and chemical plants. He designs all the cabling and pipework systems. His department had over 200 PCs and 3 macs.

Accountants, and financial institutions mostly use PCs.

Graphics and video traditionally uses Macs because they were the first mass-market PCs with WYSIWYG graphics, and developers jumped straight on the bandwagon and got developing.

It's not down to the make of the computer, but the individual peripherals, software and functionality that a computer has to offer that makes it good. Personally I'd go for a PC, I believe they are better to upgrade, with a bigger chiuce of avaiable peripherals - There's more options with a PC, less with a Mac.

I hope one day someone will invent a new awesome operating system that brings macs and PCs together as a uniform standard, taking the attributes from both types of architecture to make a great new computer system!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I hope one day someone will invent a new awesome operating system that brings macs and PCs together as a uniform standard, taking the attributes from both types of architecture to make a great new computer system!
Funny you say that, I'm currently working on a Sub OS that runs inside windows, it has a combined mac and Windows interface, with it's own features pacted in aswell. You may remeber my Jass Sub OS program, well the sequel has tons more features including you can install programs into it. Be sure to check it out. It's still in the work shop, but the first beta version is out now. Try it @ http://www.jassinc.tk . And remember it will not override windows or anything like that. It is just like a program that runs inside windows.
q1tv3

Post by q1tv3 »

Apple's Final Cut Pro isn't great; exept for the fact that its the industry standard in video editing! Final Cut has to be the BEST program i ever used, and yes i have used: Premeir Pro Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegus, and iMovie. FCP is so user freindly considering how powerful of a tool it is. I thought i knew every thing I needed to to use it. When I moved away from my old town and started school in Orchard Park ny i found out how WRONG i was. Orchard Park High School has a whole T.V studio just for their morning anouncements (Q-TV). They have all the best eqipment including final cut. The other student members in Q-TV blew me away with what they could do in final cut. They tought me how to comine filters and effects to create coustom effects. they also tought me how to use final cuts effect genorator to make your own effects. The only limit on this beast is how much imagination and effort you realy put into your project.
Live type is an amazing title maker to that allows you to make pro. titles.

I think most microsoft people have never used a mac and therefore think that it is an obsolite system to theirs. I have used both and know that macs run smoother and are far superior to microsoft in the graphic arts category.

Off topic: Apple was the first ever Personel Computer (pc) later microsoft came out and was known to be great for buisness use (applications, charts, ect.). The majority of the people who owned a pc at the time used them for buisnesses and thus bought microsoft. So Microsoft exeled leaving Apple to go nearly bankrupt. Mac had put out a lawsuit against microsoft for stealing their idea of the PC many years earlier but, Microsoft used their income to buy themselves power and delayed the court case as long as possible. Soon mac was well into debt and was thought to be beyond dead. The Apple corperation was hanging on by a thread and couldnt survive much longer. Microsoft saw this and took adavange of the situation by offering Apple an out of cout settlement, knowing that a lawsuit would burn them finacialy. Apple had no choice but to accept, and over the past five years has took off quite considerably to create serious competition for Microsoft, even though they are only 6-7% of the pc market.

And everyone lived happily ever after even though thats a lie.

THE END
All we are saaaying.....is give peace a chance!
The Beatles ROCK! Yeah, yeah, yeah.
ya, I use a Mac
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

Yes I use Apples, and I think Apples are tons better than windows, not only for editing, the only thing I wanted to know is how to overlap to movie clips on a Mac??

E.G. adding an explosion clip to a filmed sequence of someone being blown up??

And by the way, Macs aren't overrated, Windows are overrated, un user-friendly hunks of metal only good for damaging your eyes, sorry but that's just how I view the pieces of metal. This probably make me a lot of enemies, but oh well!
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Jperson, are you using iMovie? You can't overlap clips in that program...that's why it's free. Final Cut Express/Pro lets you do that.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

hehehe... it's a little off topic, but here's something great about the mac-pc war made in beautiful quebec; canada.

http://www.phylacterecola.com/flash/gal ... s/v002.htm

this short film is one of the hundreds of shorts made by Phylactere Cola, who are, in my opinion, some of the best artists in quebec. of course, as with this topic, it ends without any winner ;)

back to topic, I never used a mac, nor mac programs, but personnally, I think that my PC does the job as I like it; not too slow, no too fast. And with the huge variety of freewares and demos, even thought what I use isn't professional grade, it didn't cost me a buck, so why complain?
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

I think I'm gonna have to get FInal Cut Express, jsut one problem, a little pricy…
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
pete1234

Post by pete1234 »

I use apple, I have a G5 dual processor 2.7ghz.

In my opinion and experience, and I have ample in both premiere and final cut, but final cut and apple hardware p!$$es all over premiere. I have done half an hour videos in high definition and the apple dosnt need to redner at all until its layed to tape.

Blanket statments like apples are peices of sh!t are compleatly inaccurate, without apple and finalcut, the whole media industry would grind to a halt. In any profesional editing establisment I have worked with, PCs arnt even used for doing the accounts. in a professional editing enviroment, PCs have no place.
MikeMoring

Post by MikeMoring »

pete1234 wrote:In my opinion and experience, and I have ample in both premiere and final cut, but final cut and apple hardware p!$$es all over premiere...

Blanket statments like apples are peices of sh!t are compleatly inaccurate, without apple and finalcut, the whole media industry would grind to a halt. In any profesional editing establisment I have worked with, PCs arnt even used for doing the accounts. in a professional editing enviroment, PCs have no place.
I couldn't agree more. I edit using a 2.5 Ghz Quad-Core PowerMac G5 with Final Cut Studio. I wouldn't go back to using a PC with Premiere if somebody put a gun to my head.

I think one of the singular greatest things about Apple is that they actually know how to make a complex program accessible. It's a very comfortable program (Final Cut Pro) to use -- very inviting and easy to get a grasp of. It's also just a prettier interface. I get a migraine just looking at Premiere -- especially after having the privilege of using Final Cut Pro.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Hey all the people that thinks mac suck, go eat yourself.... In my film class, we use Mac Pros with Dual 3.0 GHz processor (6 GHz total) and 4 GB RAM, so don't give me any of that cr** about how it's low end. Sure its more expensive, but its a hell of a lot better than crappy PCs.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

We have: Soundtrack, Final Cut Express Pro, Lightwave 8.0 ... the list goes on and on...

Besides our Mac Pros being a lot faster than PCs, the OS is better too...

Macs are great for editing. (especially when u have 2 30" LCD monitors.... :D I love my film class...)

What the hell .... why the fcuk cant u say cr** on this forum??? You can say damn but u cant say cr**??

wtf??
pete1234

Post by pete1234 »

Heres another example of how good the apple software is. I created teh iDent in photoshop and final cut pro but the DVD menu I made with the bundled iDVD which comes with osX. It has produced an extreamly clean dvd menu. Try doing that with premiere and paint ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SS9z20f50M