A moving green screen shot

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

TheMonkeyMan

A moving green screen shot

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

Hello, Im new to this forum. Although I have been looking around this site and other video sites for a while. What a great forum!

Anyways.... I was watching a skateboard video not to long ago called "Yeah Right!". In that film there is a scene where they green screen the boards out of the picture, so it looks as if they are riding invisble boards. Now some of the shots the camera was steady and just pointing in one direction, which is easy to figure out how they did those, but they also had shots where the camera is moving and filming the skater while the boards were invisible. I was wondering how they green screened the boards out of those moving camera shots since it would be very difficult to do the EXACT same camera movements for the empty picture then move the camera the exact same way for the part with the skater. Or is that how they did it? Any help would be great! Thanks
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

they probably just masked them out in post. something like after effects could do this. it might take a while but it is likely they did something similar to this. it doesn't matter if the camera is moving becuse they can just create an animated mask using key frames.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

actually it would be very difficult to mask out a moving shot because it would be almost impossible to get a clean background plate that exactly matches the moving footage. more likely (depending on the budget of the film) is that they used a computer controlled camera (often they look like a dolly on a track housed in a big box). it can record its movements and repeat them an infinite number of times.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Or they had a shot that was bigger than the editing resolution and just moved the shot around in post?
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Syras wrote:actually it would be very difficult to mask out a moving shot because it would be almost impossible to get a clean background plate that exactly matches the moving footage. more likely (depending on the budget of the film) is that they used a computer controlled camera (often they look like a dolly on a track housed in a big box). it can record its movements and repeat them an infinite number of times.

If you have the track, then you line the track across the street, and then film the background shot. Then you film the person in the exact speed motion and angel of the other one. And most people can't afford a track like that, althougth Ryan W. was creative, he used his lego train track ( Thats still like what, 150$? ) which controls speed, and found a way to attach his camera.
Sigs suck a**.
V|Esquilaxer

Post by V|Esquilaxer »

I saw that skateboard video and I was amazed at how well they did the job. It looked great, especially when it mind-boggles me how they could do such a thing with such accuracy
OPL Productions - [url]http://www.opl-bordeaux.tk[/url] home of Dead Conspiracy.
____
http://www.sht.ca/media/trailer_dc_high.wmv
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Mind posting a link?
Sigs suck a**.
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

Yeah they did a VERY good job at editing that film, with the invisble board and the beginning of the film with the extrememly slowed down skatetricks was awesome. Here is the link to the trailer: http://www.rhinotransport.com/970247.lasso# It shows a scene of the invisible board on it.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Oh , it's a person without a skateboard. Yeah, a track would be preferable. I would not use a green screen for that though, masking is the way to go.
Sigs suck a**.
bangoker

Post by bangoker »

EDIT:

i erased my post, but for one strange reason i can click on the "delete this post " check, so....well you have this
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

Well I know they used green screening for sure, because they have a few scenes in the video of them riding completely bright green skateboards. So what exactly is masking? How is it different than green screening?
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

green screening requires a specific colour that can be "keyed" out. this is basically the process of telling the effects program that anything that is bright green is now invisible. masking however requires drawing a shape (the mask) on a layer and making that part invisible. you can use keyframes to make the mask move and thus cover specific areas (eg you could draw a skateboard shape and animate it frame by frame to make sure the skateboard is invisible for the entire shot). in both cases you require a background layer to replace the footage (in the skateboard case footage of the street behind). however to make this look perfect the front layer and the background layer must match up exactly
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Masking is another form of keying. In theory, it's EXACTLY the same thing. One of them your telling the program , get everything of this specific color outta here, and in another the backgrounds whatever the hell you want, and you control what stays and what goes. Since you need no balance of color, you can light the actor however you choose when masking. With masking, it's a lot easier to background footage and mask the person in , BECUASE you just film the scene twice, one with the actor(s), one without. Mask the actors, which removes EVERYTHING but them, and place them onto the footage without the actors. There you go , you got the actor keyed now, and you can do whatever you want to each one(mask) without effecting anything else. Thats the whole idea with invisble skateboard, is the masked the skateboard and just well, got rid of it!
Sigs suck a**.
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

The entire skateboard was just spray painted green. There was no masking involved. This was no ordinary skate video though, as it was directed by Spike Jonze.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

That can work to. althougth if the greens lighting is inconsistent it can be a pain in the a** to key. Masking is more convienet for amatuers.
Sigs suck a**.
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

I was just thinking, if you were doing an outdoor shot like that and there was other green in the background, like grass. Could you make a little selection around the riders feet and the skateboard, then key ONLY what is in that area? Then animate the selection, so it follows the skate board?
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

That's called creating a mask. No need to even paint the board green if your going to do that. You should read our posts becuase we described what masking was above. :roll:
Sigs suck a**.
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

I understand what a mask is. I have worked with photoshop and flash animation for a while, so I know all about that stuff. But it seems to me that making a perfect mask around the board and not accidently getting his feet cut out would be very hard. Especially when hes moving.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

That shouldn't be a problem. Moving frame by frame, you can control the shape of the mask for each individual frame. Rotoscoping is generally not very difficult, it is just ridiculously and painfully time consuming.
Erm... yeah...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

TheMonkeyMan wrote:I understand what a mask is. I have worked with photoshop and flash animation for a while, so I know all about that stuff. But it seems to me that making a perfect mask around the board and not accidently getting his feet cut out would be very hard. Especially when hes moving.
Um, i'm not talking photoshop or flash. I'm talking affter effects.
Sigs suck a**.
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

Yeah no kidding blade. :o You're a quick one :wink: . All I was stating was that I know what MASKS are, because I have worked with a lot of photo editing programs... Anyways, Thats why I suggested making just a small general masked area around the board, then keying the board out, so I wouldn't have to go frame by frame making sure the mask was perfect.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

You have a lot to learn monkeyman, a lot to learn indeed.
Sigs suck a**.
TheMonkeyMan

Post by TheMonkeyMan »

Oh man, its Blade! The almighty video master! Bow down to him! I am by no means a good video editor I admit that, and im not saying im better than you or anyone else here blade, but when you act like you are the almighty wise one, when practically half of your posts are spamming garbage then that makes me quite angry. I wasn't trying to act like I knew everything about editing at all when I said I knew about masks.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

lol This is a funny thread.

You can set masks to follow differences in footage, like a moving line, in After Effects. Though sometimes you just have to resort to frame by frame tracking. The dirty work of filmmaking! :D
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

TheMonkeyMan wrote:Oh man, its Blade! The almighty video master! Bow down to him! I am by no means a good video editor I admit that, and im not saying im better than you or anyone else here blade, but when you act like you are the almighty wise one, when practically half of your posts are spamming garbage then that makes me quite angry. I wasn't trying to act like I knew everything about editing at all when I said I knew about masks.
umm... all I said was you have a lot to learn where do you get me saying im better then everyone? Oh and thanks for bowing down, you should do that more often. :Roll: Some people..
Sigs suck a**.