Files wont fit!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

JJJSWIFT

Files wont fit!

Post by JJJSWIFT »

Okay so i wasnt sure where to put this but i think this is the right place. I want to make a dvd of my movies and there is a dvd burner on an Emac at my school. It has IDVD and all that good stuff but Macs wont read Mpeg
So i figured i go home render the files to .avi and thatd be great...but now the avi's wont fit on a disc so i can bring it to the comp at school. What Can I DO? Does anyone know any software that can easily break my movie(s) apart so pieces of them fit on discs or do i just have to do it myself :( ? Please any help would be appreciated
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

a disc is standard what 700 mb? How big are these files???mine arnt even that big, and when i do have movies, there not even 300 mb, and i have a big hard drive :suicide:
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Stop basking in the bright light of ignorance like John Kerry Truggy! (sorry had to say that lol ;) ) Anyway, chances are the avis you're using are DV codec'd, and even a short-movie-length DV AVI is 1GB+, which won't fit on a disk. My advice would be just to split them in half/thirds, whatever is required. Also, are u sure using an AVI is a good idea? As far as I know Macs, including IDVD, will only work with quicktime (unless it has premier if i'm not mistaken), unlike PC's which will work with both. My advice would be to output in DV QT if possible.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

U.S.Amateurfilmaker wrote:Stop basking in the bright light of ignorance like John Kerry Truggy! (sorry had to say that lol ;) .
Check in the forum rules the two of you, you are not supposed to talk abut politics, nor is your avatar supposed to support anyone.

My imac plays mpeg jjjswift, why doesnt yours?hmm...
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

lukeprausnitz wrote:
U.S.Amateurfilmaker wrote:Stop basking in the bright light of ignorance like John Kerry Truggy! (sorry had to say that lol ;) .
Check in the forum rules the two of you, you are not supposed to talk abut politics, nor is your avatar supposed to support anyone.

My imac plays mpeg jjjswift, why doesnt yours?hmm...
But he started it with his avatar!!!! haha Well, anyway, end of discussion on that.

As far as the mpeg, the reason yours may play it is because you have additional codecs and/or software installed on yours. Many schools just leave the defaut software on there, so the mac will only play its native codecs. Sort of like how a PC will not play quicktime until you install the player, which also installs the codec.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
JJJSWIFT

Post by JJJSWIFT »

Thanks guys...i was hoping there would be a program that would do that sort of stuff for me so i didnt have to actually keep rendering small clips...but if thats what it takes lol....thats what ill do
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You coudl always burn them onto a DVD-R giving you over 4GB for your files, and transfer that!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

that is the problem though. he is trying to get the movie to a computer that has a dvd burner.
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

that is the problem though. he is trying to get the movie to a computer that has a dvd burner
oh now i get it. like us said you should render as quicktime or if its still too big put it on more than one disk, or if you can download the codec for the mac
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

You could use this program to split the files into CD sized chunks ...

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

There is a Mac program to rejoin the chunks.
JJJSWIFT

Post by JJJSWIFT »

THANK YOU MATT! Thats exactly what I was looking for but didnt know if it existed lol. Soon there will be JJJSWIFT DVDS!