WOW....WHAT A CRAPPY DAY!!!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

WOW....WHAT A CRAPPY DAY!!!

Post by Carnage7p »

ok so i was editing this documentary on an event called "The Pull." It is an event at my college which is basically tug a war on a large scale and it's three hours long. one of the most exausting things you'll ever do. ANYWAYS i had just finished editing the video when there was an error and the program was going to shut down! so i quick saved the project but now when i open the project it starts and has the same error and shuts down so cant even acess the video that i had edited. i spent like 30 hours on this. what a waste.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Jeez! Which program are you using to edit?
@seanbagley
TheWall

Post by TheWall »

sux to be you
I BET YOUR THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WOULD FU*K A GUY AND DONT OFFER HIM A REACH AROUND!!!- Full Metal Jacket
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Well, aren't you a helpful little bugger.

I have no experience with any of the high end editors, but Pinnacle does this to me every now and then, if you go into the backup files and open that then resave it as the original file name. (eg: Autosave 2 becomes thepull.avi or whatever) Then it sould work okay. If this has any relavence to you, I don't know, hope I helped.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

"sh*t happens"

-Forrest Gump
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You should save your work periodically, not when the computer is about to blow up!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

yeh i always make a project file at the start and habitually hit control+s after i make any major change
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah normally i would be using premiere but since i was just doing simple stuff at this point i was using pinnacle 9. what a piece of cr**. i hadn't had an error the whole time until then.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I usually end up with about 3 or so project files too when I edit... not only am I always pressing Ctrl+S obsessively throughout any editing job, saving to a few files over the course of the project is also a good idea so if a file corrupts... well you get the idea :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i usually do that too but i was so focused that i wasn't thinking about it.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

It might have just been that your computer was having a hard time handling a three hour long chunk of video. If I am doing anything involving more than 20 minutes of video, I save chuncks of it as different names (Part I, II, etc.) so that if that happens, I will at least have some of it left. And of course, I always keep the original footage until well after the video is completed.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

And of course, I always keep the original footage until well after the video is completed.

umm, DUH....you cant edit without the source footage....so what was the point of u posting that? :wtf:

cause if your editing your source footage together with premier, and thats what i know u have....you would have to keep em to edit them together.....
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

i think he just means that he doesn't delete the source footage immediately after he's finishes the project.

but yeah it's only 1 hour of video for my source footage. i think its just that pinnacle sucks. i should've just used premiere, it rarely have problems for me.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Truggy wrote:
umm, DUH....you cant edit without the source footage....so what was the point of u posting that? :wtf:

cause if your editing your source footage together with premier, and thats what i know u have....you would have to keep em to edit them together.....
umm, DUH....he meant he doesnt delete the source footage until after the project is finished....so what was the point of u not reading the post? :wtf:
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yeah! :P
Moderating behind the bushes!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

hell, my HD space is taken up with source footage, got 70 gigs left, down from 200.....which i should delete some of it...oh btw, if your useing pinacle, go to their website, and update it....because they had problems with versions 8.0 and 8.8
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Read my post, there might be hope for you yet!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I save regularly like Ornsack. Once I did end up with a corrupted project file due to Premiere crashing. Now I make a regular zip file of all the Premiere project files before I do more work on them. That way if I get a corrupted file i only lose one days work. 99 percent of the time backing up is a waste of time ..... but when you need that backup it is worth it.

BACKUP people!

My paranoia goes beyond this. I keep my backups at work so if my house gets burgled or hit by meteorite I can rebuild my PC. The house is replaceable. My work isn't.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i know what you mean matt. i am re-editing it right now but saving it about every 3 minutes under several different file names. haha but i like the idea of backing your files up at work too hahaha. that was hilarious and crazy but i completely understand because with the amount of time most of us spend on these projects, its not worth taking any risk of losing it.

UF that was my first thought it was no good, thanks for the idea though. and i updated just the other day for whoever said that.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Another thing I do is that if I'm owrking on a seriously important project, I will save a backup on a USB jump drive. Very convienient if for some reason the main HD crapped out. Then, since I store all my source stuff on a second hard drive, it won't be lost even if my main hard drive is (which get's more use). Pessemistic, but it may save your life, especially having a 2nd HD.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

[quote="Carnage7p"]i think its just that pinnacle sucks.quote]

Absolutely true. :)

DOn't know why the quote thing didn't work right, whateva.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...