COMPUTER MAJOR TROUBLE

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

COMPUTER MAJOR TROUBLE

Post by ALove »

my editing computer wont start! it froze and emited one blooop! then died, and now i cant start it!!!!!

my possible conclusions
heat
power supply
videocard
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

well, it could be the following problems....

- The power supply was too low in power to supply all your componants
- The primary HD crapped out
- Processor gave out
- Or on the less morbid side, it could be a loose connection, open it up and check (which I would advise anyway)

**Heat only causes a temporary problem, how long has it been since it dies and you tried to turn it on again?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

it really wont start, i dont know if it means anything, but when i press the button, nothing happens. checked the cables, all seem to be connected properly. it doesnt even start to boot.

EDIT- gonna try a different power supply, maybe that crapped out.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

And your avatar isn't working either!

If it was your hard drive, you'd still get the system BIOS come up, even on more modern machines, probably telling you what you had for breakfast along with some kind if hard drive error, so I'd rule that one out.

Processor could have blown, have you been overclocking it? I had to repair a PC once that hadn't been overclocked, but the PSU fan was so completely clogged up with dirst and dust that it had stopped turning, and the PC overheated - the CPU fried - literally, you could see all the solder tracks on the back of the PII board melted away and bubbled up the laquer.

Pop your processor into a different PC with similar compatible architecture and see if it works. Try the same with memory.

I doubt it would be a fault with the nmotherboard itself.

Oh, and try the PSU, I'd have said the internal fuse could be gone, but if you're getting a long bleep, then it's working - Look in the manual that comes with the motherboard - it'll have the beep codes. Unfortunately, it's been so long now since I have dealt with these that I can't remember the codes anymore. Raptor will probably have a good idea.
Last edited by El Brenty on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderating behind the bushes!
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

changed power supply and now its running and better than ever!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

That's a problem with cheap PC cases, they often have low wattage (Cheap) PSUs. I've often bought a case and got an extra PSU to swap over, to cope with all the extras in the system.

Well, your PC maybe working now, but your avatars are still broken! My guess is that your host doesn't allow remote image loinking from their servers. You may be able to see it, but we can't, just a red X in a white box!
Moderating behind the bushes!
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

actually, this was a lemon. it was 480 watts and i bought it seperate. i put back in the psu that came with the case.