Little 3D Space Thing

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Little 3D Space Thing

Post by Epsilon »

I made this in about an hour last night. Thought it was kinda nifty looking. It is starwarsy!

Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry doesn't display the image
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

its here for me...you musta been bored
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
Adam

Post by Adam »

Different connection works. Looks pretty neat what 3D did U use
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

What is it?
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

Guessing it's some kind of space colony - looks real neat tbh, would be good if it was in a movie.
[url=http://www.downfallband.co.uk]Downfall Band[/url] < Now With 2 Songs! ;)
Austin

Post by Austin »

looks nice, but unless there are two suns in your solor system then your lighting is off :) or is that just a bright star behind the station???
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

looks cool, although the starfield looks kinda odd, I don't think there are so many stars when you look att the sky..
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I am not exactly sure what it is. I was playing around with some modifiers in 3D Studio Max and came up with that concept. I added some lights and two stars. ;) It is pretty much a random generation of blocks, within a certain threshold. Turns out they used this same type of concept for Bladerunner, Star Wars, and Star Trek.
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

Okay, hm, maybe that's the best thing to do, who wants to sit and make a starfield dot by dot?? XD
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I was referring to the modeling, starfields are easy. You can do a starfield with a noise application.
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

okay ;P, grumpf, left my brain in school XD
Austin

Post by Austin »

righty oh, then i liky...thanks for clearing that up :D
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

uhh lets get some stuff straight with 3d scenes otherwise i will get angry and yell a bit cause space scenes in 3d are always done really badly as you can see with this one granted your just starting out which is why ill give you some hot tips.

Stars: Stars actually need to be geometry believe it or not... a nice sphere full of single point polys will render nice and when rendered will be different sizes and move through perspective like a real starfield.

Camera angle: believe it or not the camera angle will make a huge difference... instead of seeing the whole objject make it like a real camera shot and make the camera ange show the impossible size of the object after all thats what your aiming for in 3d to make it look as real as possible.

Background: Also it makes it nice for the object in space to be broought out in the image through some sort of nebulae in the background or asteroid field that will make the object look nice in its surroundings instead of a flat black starfield. Even a nice planet will look good.

Lighting: The lighting usually is a very strong light with very harsh shadows. some fill light with no shadows or some radiosity will help the objects lighting condition however it is also very good to put lights on your actuall model even if there little red ones or whatever.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Yeah, ignore the starfield... you are supposed to focus on the model concept!!! I knew someone was going to critique that. I am aware of it's flatness. What I would usually do is create a spherical texture then infer it as the evironment background. Additional stars would be layered, smoke applications, planets, crafts, etc... Though I thought the red lights were a nice touch.

I'm not really starting out either, but I can see that my images must be of a higher standard from now on! :P
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

hahaha you can NOT be serious...

imagine if on shrek 2 they did the background really badly and said oh just ignore that and concentrate on the characters! thats so dumb. if your aware of its flatness fix it. whats the point of rendering something if your not going to use it? dude you got to learn to make everything look good in your render its called atention to detail. otherwise if its only a WIP wheres the update? because im critiquing this as a final render.

And whats the point of rendering out planets crafts and etc later to add them to this render? thats like rendering out 3 things that you could have done in one to save time... you might not be starting out but you have alot to learn. so when someone gives yu advice i would take it instead of justifying it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I'm saying I don't any any intentions whatsoever to use this scene.
insert_coin wrote:whats the point of rendering something if your not going to use it?
It's called fun. :)
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

it looks good, but you have way to much time on your hands if you do that!
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Took me less than half an hour to create the model itself. :)
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

ok
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

looks like halo..
Sigs suck a**.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

call me crazy but doing a half a** render (to me) isnt fun...
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

The star feild is not the point of what he is showing us, he wants us to look at the model. And thats what is important, it looks good. The star feild is off, but then I'm not consentrating on that.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

insert_coin wrote:call me crazy but doing a half a** render (to me) isnt fun...
That was about 30 seconds to render. Not too bad for one frame. Rendering movies sometimes takes me 12 hours to check my work. That's the point where one must enable net renders! So I go to sleep, work some more, go out of the house, work some more, sleep, work some more, etc...! Rendering IS fun though. You can just sit and watch it go frame by frame. If you get bored, you go watch some tv. Come back when it is finished.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

I3lade203 wrote:looks like halo..

a little, but not by much heh
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998