using other peoples music

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Directordude

using other peoples music

Post by Directordude »

I know this has probably been asked before, but what is the legal issues I must take to use songs from other people's cds. I have many songs should I pay royalties or should I just forget about it and never pay and just use it for my friends and i's pleasure. I am not a big movie director makin money left and right I am just an indie lookin to put cool music in it. I would like to know for future use.
Hey also Anyone seen Once upon a time in Mexico? In the speacil features he uses some kind of program to write soundtracks for his movies. I am very talented musically what setup would I need for this type of system. He had a keyboard connected to his comp and a program to select song lists. please look at this speacial feature and get back to me. Oh and enjoy the movie too.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Don't earn money, don't get sewed.
@seanbagley
Rico

Post by Rico »

You can not use other peoples music without permission. Laws are different in different countries, but I think this goes for most countries. To use a song from a CD, You have to have the permisison form the composer, the publisher, the record company, and so on... And it will usually cost. Now - if You make a non-profit movie that is released to friends and on net-sites, no one will probably go after You, but it is still illegal...

Another way to go is to get a composer. It seems like many filmmakers have a hard time to find composers, and I can't understand why - ask on any film making forum and You'll get responses (more on some forums than on others, but still). I compose for movies and check around almost every day if anyone needs a score for their movie. If the music provided is any good is another issue, but we (that would be the composers) are learning their art just as the film makers are learing theirs.

Secondly, You can try to find free music, there are several sites that have free music that can be used in non-profit productions. Or find som unsigned bands that probably is happy to get some exposure...

A third way is to do as You mention last in Your post - score it Yourself. There are tons of programs around for making music, and many of them have the possibility to sync video to music. Depending on what kind of music You would like to compose, You need different things. Rodriguez seems to use ProTools with (I guess) a quite large collection of samples (orchestral, guitars, drums, effects and others). I personally only use software synthesizers and a software studio or a sequencer program (I use FLStudio, but other often used are Cubase, Nuendo, Logic or Cakewalk).
If You want to record Yourself or Your band or record a live orchestra, You need good mics and such to get everything going. And some software to arrange, mix and master everything...

Best luck!
Rico

Scores for movies and media
http://www.fredrikblom.com
KJD

Post by KJD »

The Copyright works that,
You cant use the music without permission from the record company mainly the producers,
You dont just pay them money on the spot, you sign a contract and they company is paid off by the money you make from the film.
In other words some of the money made from the film goes to the record company.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

KJD wrote:The Copyright works that,
You cant use the music without permission from the record company mainly the producers,
You dont just pay them money on the spot, you sign a contract and they company is paid off by the money you make from the film.
In other words some of the money made from the film goes to the record company.
It depends how they want to license it, for example, one storm chaser wanted to use "Dust int the wind" in a highlites DVD/Tape for a season - for a limited run of less than 5000 discs the price was $10,000 and he was figuring a run of actuallt less than 200 discs.. they ould only license less than 5000 - and no broadcast or presentation rights. If it was a large studio production, then they might go with a percentage - assuming the distribution deal was already in place. For an indie production - iot will be cash up front.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands