Digital 8 anygood???

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Faldor

Digital 8 anygood???

Post by Faldor »

I noticed the Digital 8 take the cheaper Hi8 tapes and does the nifty firewire thing, and their about £50 cheaper then MiniDV

so would i be missing out on much by just getting Digital 8 instead on DV?
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I did a little searching around for you and came up with an article written specifically for the comparison of Digital8 and MiniDV. You can find the link below.

http://www.epinions.com/content_1447534724

If this doesn't answer all your questions, just do a search on Google (that's how I found the above article).
Simon Rylance

Post by Simon Rylance »

nothing really.......i prefer dig 8 but they dont have em in the more beastyer cameras..... i dont know why........people just seem to like small stuff, exept my gf that is....(jk)
GET A SONY!!!!
www.geocities.com/simonfilms.com
Sayhi

Post by Sayhi »

My opinion is that D8 are a better option than MiniDV. Don't touch the microMV cameras!!!!

I have shot many films with my SONY D8 camera (and with my cousin's SONY D8 because we were partners when I didn't have one myself ) and I am extremely satisfied!!! I have used MiniDV cameras (not in films-----only for video footage from vacations) and the videos looked really ''amateur work''.

I only trust SONY. Don't read any magazine review that does not have quality samples from the cameras (stills). The choice is yours.

Hints------------------------------------------

Don't use the digital zoom. It reduces the quality.(turn it off)

Resolution is extremely important.

If you have firewire find a camera that has dv-out AND dv-in.

The camera must be sensitive to light, so that you don't have to use many lights when you shoot indoors.
Manual exposure control is also very useful.

Hope these help.
-Do you expect me to talk?
-No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I wouldn't have thought the media in a digital camera would have made a huge difference, considering that the images are digitally recorded anyway. I would have thought the criteria would be how feature packed the camera is, and the quality of the lenses and CCD pickup, and the camera's firmware for recording.
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It is, I have used dig8 and MiniDV and like MiniDV much better, stay away from MicroDV manily because the tapes are short and the cams stink. Also MiniDV is better because that is the format all the high end cams are in. And defenatly go with Sony I have a DCR-VX2000 from sony and haven't had a problem, well exsept for the price.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I am currently using a Digital 8 camera and fairly satisfied with the results.

Then again, I cannot compare to Mini DV as I have never used one.
'Sod the candles, I'm in love.'
fatpony

Post by fatpony »

i may be a little bias here as i work for sony but generaly the resoultion for all current D8 cameras is as good as the low to medium priced MiniDv ,but on all sony MiniDV camera the lens is a carl zeiss which is far better than any on current D8 cameras and you cannot buy a true widescreen D8 model . D8 is realy for people who have had a Hi8 or * camera in the past ,if you havent buy a MiniDV like the DCRTRV19 or DCRTRV22 or if youre feeling flush the new DCRTRV60 which has a proggresive scan mode which looks fantastic and much more like film than digital

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by fatpony]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Right Sony all the way, right I am their little b**ch, but MiniDV is the future we can't live in the past, spend the little extra money.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I've used both digital 8 and mini-dv, and honestly, I didn't notice a differenmce, it all depends on the quality of the camera, not the size of the digital tape you're recording on.

Anyway, forget digital video, here's something we ALL wan't, but don't have the $25,000 to spend on it! :mad:
http://www.arri.com/entry/new_pro.htm

[Edited on 23-8-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
GLiO

Post by GLiO »

I think Canon owns the MiniDV category when it comes to ametuer filming.
[url=http://fs.glio.net]Five Star Productions[/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

i don't think cannon own MiniDV when it comes to Amiture film makeing, I would take Sony anyday, I looked at the highist end sony, $3000 and the highist end Cannon $4500 the cannon was really not much better, maybe $100 but not $1500, so I went with the sony.
bangoker

Post by bangoker »

so this

(sony $2,999)

is better than this one?

(cannon $4,499) ??

and what about this one?

(cannon 2,799)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

WOW! Decent cameras are expensive! I'll have to wait to get the GMC supercharged now!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

My personal preference is Mini-DV, does a great all around job, and with an adapter can be edited in a DVC-Pro deck. Dig-8 can't be. While this may not be a hang up for PC editing, I shoot news video as a stringer for some of the local TV stations to support my camera habits.. ( keeps the wife from tossing me around when I come home with new cameras or goodies....)
Big complaint with ALL consumer digital format ( minidv or dig 8 ) cams is that when shooting a story you have to carry a set of sticks with you to get solid video. My panasonic S-VHS shoulder breakers are both solid enough shooting off the shoulder to get stable vid, but the quality is no where near what the digital does. Has anyone tried one of the shoulder adapters for palm corders?
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

i have used both but i would never get digital 8 over mini dv. in a few years digital 8 will be like vhs is to dvd.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I like that first cam you showed bangoker, because thats the one I have, I just perefer sony to cannon, even though that 4500 dollor one does have a better look because you can sholder it, but I'm not paying $1400 for that.