Camera / mic opinions

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Spade

Camera / mic opinions

Post by Spade »

Hi guys,

Me and a group of mates have just started producing our first film. We are ready to start fiming any time soon, so we have ordered a Sony DCR HC18E mini DV camera. Do u think that this is a good choice of camera considering out budget was £350? We also need a zoom mic to go with it, any suggestions?

Cheers
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i dont know about any specific mic, but look around bhphoto.com for some really good deals on them
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

take a look at this one. I just got it and I love it, great sound quality. I don't know if B&H ships overseas, but I'm sure you can find a uk site that will sell it at a discount as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... o_itemInfo
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Spade

Post by Spade »

Ok, nice 1. I'll try and find a UK site that'll import the same mic for me. What are your views on the camera though?
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

also its a boom mic not a zoom mic :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Here's some stuff on microphones that I've experienced:

:arrow: The built in mircophones are okay, give a reasonable focus to what is being filmed, but can pick up camera motor noise, as well as clumbsy handling oif the camera.

:arrow: A plug-in hand-held or boom microphone starts to become a 2 man job, and as this extends away from the camera, you have to be quite focused on what you're filming and what sounds you're picking up. A multi-directional microphone is going to be great at something like a carnival, where you want to hear everything around you, whereas a uni-directional microphone is better for picking out sound from an actor, especially when there's background noise interfering.

:arrow: MP3 recorders are great! BUT making your recording synchronise with the video footage can be a touch tricky,especially if you're using a lower end editing program like Moviemaker 2.

:arrow: If you are using an external sound recorder, use of clapper-boards really helps. You can pick up the clack sound, and match that with the visual of the board being snapped.

:arrow: You can make boom microphones quite easily. In fact I think there's a tutorial on how to make one here in the forum, so look under the sound section (Where this post belongs, and will be moved to in a moment, as it's turned into a Microphone topic, more than a camera topic)!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Spade

Post by Spade »

Thanx for the advice. There are also zoom mics (Sony sell a wide range of them) which zoom into the sounds you want to hear, blocking out the background noise.