Good or bad concept?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Axel.J.Rose

Good or bad concept?

Post by Axel.J.Rose »

Some time ago, my buddies and myself were to make a French project, based on human stupidity. Being in media classes, we said we could make a video instead of a classical presentation. While we discussed what we were supposed to do, since we were desperate for an idea and time was running short, I came with the idea of a game of cards.

The idea would be rather simple: all of the video would consist only of all 4 of us around a table, playing poker, drinking and smoking (typical to card games), and we would discuss for a good 20-30 minutes. The camera would never see our heads, and would always focus on the table, our hands, the items on the table. In clear, almost no visual, as almost all the video would rely solely on the dialogue of the characters. In the end, we didn't have the time nor an area to shoot it all within one week, so we made a boring presentation like almost everybody else.

But the concept stuck in my head nonetheless. I plan on making a movie, someday, based on that. Now my question is: could it work? Have a complete movie based almost only on the dialogue of the characters, never seeing their faces, never seeing the surroundings, only seeing the game and the different items. Is it possibly achievable to rule out almost all the visual of the movie, and only focus on the story, without boring the hell out of the viewers?

Your thoughts and ideas please.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Bad concept.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

Bad concept.
well it might work for no more than 5 minutes, definately not 30 min. but it is an intereting idea. what exactly are the four of you talking about? maybe what you could do is show their faces and do all that and have you all tell stories or talk about whatever, but then actually go to a video of what they're talking about and its like the 4 are narrating a story.
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Austin

Post by Austin »

i think you would have to change angles often...
top angle; angle of every persons cards as that person talks(front and back at different times); maybe a long shot of the whole table and persons (have a big room, maybe the only light is say a couple of candles around the table, make it seem like its a big room, have the people positioned around the table so you cant see and faces); umm, angles of some of the bidding items? i would say work in justsomeguys idea also, could be a good movie :) dont make it to long though
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
Axel.J.Rose

Post by Axel.J.Rose »

It's what I thought. The 4 could talk about their lives, anything they want, anything you might say in a game of cards with your friends. I don't have a story or anything done yet, it's only the concept. I guess it would start as a very normal game of cards, and over time, the guys would start sharing common memories, eventually going to secrets, ultimately changing the attitude they have with one another and breaking their friendships. And of course, the shots would drag on. For example, for a good 2 minutes the camera is staring at a cigar burning, while the hands are moving in the background. I also thought of adding their faces too, because 15 minutes would be my maximum at only staring various items without boring to death the viewers.
stickmurder30

Post by stickmurder30 »

To be cool it should be something like the movie "Quebec-Montreal" but instead of people talking with each other in a car, they are talking with each other around a table.... it would be awesome !!! but as "justsomeguy" said, what you should do is show their faces, we must know what the actors looks like...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

justsomeguy wrote:well it might work for no more than 5 minutes, definately not 30 min. but it is an intereting idea. what exactly are the four of you talking about? maybe what you could do is show their faces and do all that and have you all tell stories or talk about whatever, but then actually go to a video of what they're talking about and its like the 4 are narrating a story.
I agree here. It would work for a little bit, but I would not be able to stand watching hands playing cards for half an hour!
Grant

Post by Grant »

20-30mins no way. Would have to be very interesting plot and dialogue. Short in concept great :D