BSP Squib Tutorial

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

BSP Squib Tutorial

Post by lethelgirth87 »

If you want a full Tutorial then go to http://brokenstickproductions.com and click on Tutorials, but here is a link to the squib video.

http://brokenstickproductions.com/patri ... torial.wmv 2 MB
"Prolly Just Film"
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Pretty good. Get that detnated electrically and it might be a tad safer. A tad safer from your shirt going up into a flame.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

See, most people think that the shirt will catch on fire, but it has never caught on fire for us, but we also have igniter's that hook up to a 9 volt battery that we can use too, we are just lazy and don't feel like hooking all that up. :D
"Prolly Just Film"
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Can you not be lazy for one day? Connect everything, record it being detonated, and put it on the web? I want to see it electrically detonated.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

LOL, perhaps if I have time one of these days I might get around to doing that, but we will prolly end of doing that for the final movie, that was just a test.
"Prolly Just Film"
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

I would really like to see that electrically detonated, but that was a very interesting and neat way to go about it. I am trying to figure out the best ways to go about this and I have limited resources also if you wanna do multiple shots in few second intervals it would be very difficult to light eachfuse and have them go off in a synchronized fashion. So if you ever have the time it would be real cool to see how you go about electrically detonating them.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

You go to a grocery store, and get some rocket igniters (most stores have them) Then you get a rocket detonator(or a 9v battert), and just attach the end of the fuse to the igniters, and wallah, remote detonation, we tried it and I do have some footage but its lost somewhere in my pile of dv tapes, if I happen to find it I will post it. :D
"Prolly Just Film"
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I'm actullay gonna buy a model rocket at Wal-Mart for $16.00. It comes with The rocket, the engine, the control panel, and some igniters. I'm gonna launch the rocket once and just use the control panel for my squibs. Got some questions.

Do I just put the igniter in the firecracker? (Pull the wick out?)

How fast does it take to ignite? (I hope its instant.)

Using this method, I can only do one at a time, unless I have 2 control panels. But still, I'll probably just use them one at a time for when someone gets shot.

And lethelgirth87, find that footage ASAP!
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

I really would stress against the use of fireworks. It's extremely dangerous, especially lighting them right next to your body.

A better route would be compressed air that Exposure features. Not only does it look better (sorry, but that squib doesn't look convincing at all).
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

A fella on here that goes by the name ‘Santi’ had a great idea with regards to squibs. He suggested using the light bulb of a Christmas tree, carefully cracking off the glass and placing the exposed metal inside a cracker then connecting the 2 wires to a 6v...do a search on here or maybe he'll notice this post and explain it himself! BTW nice tut vid boys
Grant

Post by Grant »

PDJ you use the same method for simple pyro detonation
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

There you go...Grant's the man for pyro- direct your questions to him boys :yes:
Grant

Post by Grant »

i have also seen the technique applied to household lightbulbs with gun powder, flamable liquids and sparkler dust lol. Some of the pyros in UDDS Armageddon were set off with car indicator globes
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

imo, the safest (and best looking way) ive tried is to fill up a waterbaloon with your fake blood (use syringe) and then use CamClubs electric detonator to pop the baloon. U dont need to have half your chest explode for a nice looking effect
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I see one problem : You can see the carboard underneath his shirt :P , otherwise it looks pretty good, but I dunno if I would use this for a gunshot..
Sigs suck a**.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Yeah i too thought about the cardboard then remembered it was just a test...thats no biggie and can be fixed
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Yeah, the whole cardboard thing was just for added saftey we didn't use that in any of our current projects, lol, that video we made was just the first time we ever did that. We used the firework method for our newest movie and the metal plate we used(with ducktape around it) worked great, I didn't even feel a thing, and this is how we plan to shoot all our guys, and when we did it for the movie the blast was so sweet it even put a hole in my shirt. I know fireworks aren't the best way to go, but hey, were young! :D
"Prolly Just Film"
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah - saftey first, try and conceal the carboard anyway you can
Sigs suck a**.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I just got a Estes Model Rocket Starter pack yesterday. I'm using the igniter and control panel tomorrow.

So, how fast does it take to ignite?

Should I take the wick out, then put in the igniter?

I'm gonna record it and put it up on the fourm. By the way lethelgirth87, did you find that footage yet?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Well with the rocket engines it can take as long as two seconds from when the button is presed to when the ignitor goes off. And they're pretty expensive, so I don't know how well this will work.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

UFProductions wrote:Well with the rocket engines it can take as long as two seconds from when the button is presed to when the ignitor goes off. And they're pretty expensive, so I don't know how well this will work.
But it will work?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

It should, you probably won't even need the firecracker if your intent is just to pop the balloon. It won't be blasted out explosivly, but the ignitor should melt through the plastic no problem.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, I use other methods for squibs then condoms, but whatever.
Sigs suck a**.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, I'm a compressed gas man myself, it honestly works better, its cheaper and it is a hell of a lot safer.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

To each his own
Sigs suck a**.