Need help with project

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Anonymous

Need help with project

Post by Anonymous »

can any of you clever people help me with a filming problem? I need to shoot a scene thats set at night time and i saw the advice on the special fx bit but i was wondering if you need to film with a digital camera to edit the footage on computer? can i use my vhs footage, put it through a computer and make it look effectively dark but not so dark that you cant see anything like the footage i got last night?

if anyone has any bright (no pun intended) ideas could you email me at the_stumonster@hotmail.com please.
:cool:
Grant

Post by Grant »

A versatile capture card will enable you to also input A/V plug sources. My main camera at the moment is not digital and I ues those ports very effectively. The same can be done by a VCR.
Just check what capture cards can capture what

The editing should be all the same
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
padawanNick

VHS works fine, if you can capture it.

Post by padawanNick »

If you were looking at the "How To Convert A Well Lit Scene To A Dark Scene in Adobe Premiere" tutorial, you may be interested to know that it was shot on an analog, Hi8 camcorder.
For the tutorial, I captured the video into a PC with a Pinnicle DC10 plus capture card.

Another option: You can use cables with a MiniDV camera to play a video from VHS into the miniDV, then transfer via firewire to the PC from there.

My only wish was that I had used MORE light when I was shooting the original video. It's still dark enough to have left a good bit of noise in the original signal.
Oh well. Live and learn.

Have fun!
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

To do the classic "Day to Night" trick, where you film in the day and make it look like night, just darken the image (or better still, if possible use an appature setting that darkens your image) then give everything a blue tint, which is possible in many editing packages.

We did loads of this for Shosk (quick plug) www.shosk.creators.co.uk