old music

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

old music

Post by foxwood »

For the film I am working on now, I plan on using old classical music, and by old I mean that it will be at lest 100 years old we are talking Motzart Bach Batoven etc (now that I butchered their names). But waht I am wondering about is the copywrites that might be on downloaded recordings of these pieces of music, and who might hold them, because I don't want to have to go to the back up plan of buying of my music budy friends to badly play these pieces of music, well the ones that they can, since the linch pin piece of music is played with an organ.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

The actual music is no longer under copyright, which expires 70 years after the artist's death (although it can be renewed). However, the recording is copyrighted! So the actual recorded piece will hold the copyright, but the music itself is fair game. So if you can get anyone to play the music, and you record it yourself, or work out a deal with the recording engineer/musician(s), then you should be fine.

I hope that made sense...
Erm... yeah...
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

That is what I figured would happon, unless I find some old as hell recordings........
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

For Classical music, there's royalty-free music you can get. You just have to search around for it - Try searching the web as a start.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Or just ask me! :)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

really epsilon you can produce old classical music? hows about a sample if I might ask?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

really epsilon you can produce old classical music? hows about a sample if I might ask?
One other thing here, the actual music may no longer be copyrighted, but a particular arrangement may be, be very careful what sheet music you use to produce classical music.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands