Scripts: Professional Format

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Scripts: Professional Format

Post by Themovieman44 »

OKay here it is, I know some of you are having some trouble with it.

"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

cool, ive been wondering what exact format is supposed to be used, and now i have my answer
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

But we're amateur movie makers. Does it matter what format our script is in?
Moderating behind the bushes!
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Not necessarily, but it sure makes it a hell of a lot easier to read. Once you start reading scripts in the proper format, you can't go back to sloppy format that makes no sense. It's really simple to memorize once you start writing regularly.

And if anyone intends on persuing a career as a screenwriter (Andrew), then proper screenplay formatting is essential for even taking the first step in that direction...

So stop bitching CamClub, and learn the format... :)
Erm... yeah...
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

BrownCowStudios wrote:And if anyone intends on persuing a career as a screenwriter (Andrew), then proper screenplay formatting is essential for even taking the first step in that direction...
Well yes I do plan to! But yeah, professional format, whether amatuer or not should be used just for the fact of professionalism, and what if someone wants to pick up your production and see your sloppy mess. They wont take it.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It is impossable to not only go back to bad formating, but try reading a stage play, they are really hard as well. The properfomat can make you look profetional, when your trying to get actors or locations, I'm sure there were people that took me more sereusly because I had the proper formating and such, then it was probably off set by my need for a editer but oh well.
As a screan writer, I make sure my script is in proper format even if we don't really use the script.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yeah ChibiVader Writes them in play format and is pretty hard to read.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Not that play format is wrong, hell I use it when I write by hand (saves paper because of my large handwriting) but they are hard to read, I wish everybody would switch over to screanplay format, but they won't, oh well, when our scripts get bought because they are formated right, it will be better for us. And this might seem like nitpicking, but scripts are the only thing that Times New Roman does not work for, it almost has to be done in Courier, I don't know why it just does, and that font only works for screanplays.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yes this is very true Foxwood. Me and Browncow both use pro format.

I want honest answers. Who else does!
ssj3gohan

Post by ssj3gohan »

Haha.... you should see my script for the summer blockbuster
Losse Flodder: License to Drive (and yes, this is gonna be a real movie :p)
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

my site has a script template for Word in the tutorial section

www.flashburnfilms.tk
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

What the hell was that lol. That is way out of the standard format ssj
ssj3gohan

Post by ssj3gohan »

I see no real point in formatting it right and even if i'd use the professional format, the second author (who does about equally much with the script) would f*ck the format up anyway. I like it how it is now and it saves paper :D got a HP printer uno :p
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
Monty_PythonFjords

Post by Monty_PythonFjords »

The above format is only useful for Hollywood. British scripts are slightly diffrent. check www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripsmart - Professionaly made FREE word templates - UK and USA versions.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I find that you should formatt it so you and your actors can read it, other than that, no real point in amateurs doing that format. It is very time consuming to type it in the proffessional format.
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

I've recently come across a free word processor that is made for writers...just change it to screenplay mode and the formatting is as easy as hell to do. Press tab to get the right name indentation, then press enter. The margins are all set up for the dialogue!

http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm
[url=http://www.loosestscrew.tk]Loosest Screw Productions[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

What the hell was that lol. That is way out of the standard format ssj
Sorta comming out of nowhere but, Probably.. to me I ussually just write my script so I know how to write it, as long as I and my actors know how to read and understand it, were fine, however, IF showing the script anywhere, I use professional formating, althougth ussually it dosn't matter for small projects
Sigs suck a**.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

SHUT THE f*** UP Blade.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Will do
Sigs suck a**.