start.exe messed up

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

start.exe messed up

Post by justsomeguy »

i recently tried running an exe and windows gave me a message that start.exe could not be found. now whenever i open a program or exe windows explorer somes up. how do i fix this? (yes i realize i break my computer alot)
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

I'm going to assume that the app you installed was using CYG-WIN emulation and was actually a UNIX based app ported to Windows. It probably didn't remove the registry entry pointing to start.exe start.exe is not a windows default program, but a command line 3rd party utility. Sounds like time to run it down with regedit, AFTER you back up your registry.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Grant

Post by Grant »

dude you seem to be having a lot of OS problems. Maybe a suggestion would be to format C: and freshly install?
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i would run regedit, but i cant! i cant run anything. it just opens my computer c drive.
dude you seem to be having a lot of OS problems. Maybe a suggestion would be to format C: and freshly install?
well actually its my dads really old comp, im building him a new one soon. but im trying to get this one to at least work a little bit longer :)
Grant

Post by Grant »

sometimes the older ones these days are just too much effort to fix :P
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

im thinking that if i can change the location it points to the start.exe file it'll work, cause for some reason it goes to explorer.exe. i looked at the registry on another hard drive and there isnt anywhere obvious where you can change the directory

EDIT:i got it working! what happened was was that ealier i deleted a winocx32.exe file from startup (it was running like 30 copies of itself and really slowing down the comp (i have no idea what the file was)) and the comp went a lot faster. but for some reason that file was in registry to run exes or something. so i got into regedit by renaming it regedit.com and did a search for the file and deleted the key. all works now, thanks for your help
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Scan for viruses to be on the safe side!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

how old is this computer? if its 95 ill just be shocked at how much effort u put into makin a windos 95 work. heh
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998