instrument recording

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

instrument recording

Post by justsomeguy »

so i thinking of haveing a trumpet play into a microphone, but the only micorphone i have is really old and i doubt its any good. so what should i look for in getting a new one, and what should i use to get it into the computer?
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

For me to apply for a music scholarship at my uni, they required a recording of me playing my trumpet so they could assess if I was worthy of £1000 each year.

So I borrowed a nice ~£80 vocal mic from school (can't remember the model, but it was a solid, heavy, wired Audio Technica) and set it up about a foot away from the trumpet bell.

It picked up the sound of course, but it was slightly distorted. So, either put the vocal mic further away, or don't use a vocal mic.

Sorry I can't be of more help - I don't know much about mics'. Just be weary of distortion. Trumpets can be very loud!

(oh and in case you're wondering, I got the scholarship :D)
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

As for a mic, I can't help but recommend the Shure SM57 or SM58. Both are exceptional microphones, excellent in quality. Your old mic may work, give it a try, but don't count on it being the greatest thing you've ever heard.

To get it onto the computer, just hook up an XLR cable to your computer. The sound card you've got on there should work just fine. You can download a program like Goldwave to record/edit with, or you may purchase something higher end if you so desire.

I could give you tips with miking the instrument, but unfortunately, I don't have much experience in recording trumpets. :(
Erm... yeah...
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

One tip- it might be a good idea to make a filter to put in front of your mic. Get a coat hanger- bend it into a circle and pull a stocking over it- then place it in front of the mic for recording. Inexpensive and a handy piece of equipment
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Yeah, good point there PDJ. Doing what he mentioned above will eliminate the "pop" (from P sounds) and "hiss" (from S sounds) when recording vocals. Hence the name pop filter.
Erm... yeah...
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

thanks all, unfortunately i wont really be able to try it out untill the summer, but ill try some tests over spring break since i dont have my cam yet :( and have nothing better to do
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Yes, Shure make beautiful microphones for instrumental recordings.

Remember, do not stick the mics directly in front of the trumpet, it will sound god-awfully blasting and terrible quality. Never have the instrument point directly towards the mic. Always have a trumpet point the bell to the side. Trust me on this one.

Don't use a pop filter while recording instruments. Just vocals.

The mic needs a good distance for a nice, crisp tone. Plus up close, the pitch may not come out right in the recording. Go at least 10 feet with a brass instrument. This also elminates the "clink" "clank" valve noises.
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

Epsilon wrote:Remember, do not stick the mics directly in front of the trumpet, it will sound god-awfully blasting and terrible quality. Never have the instrument point directly towards the mic. Always have a trumpet point the bell to the side. Trust me on this one.
I disagree. Mic placement will have something to do with the sound, but the distortion, and the ' god-awfull ' blasting, and the terrible quality wouldn't be because of mic placement. You are either using the WRONG mic or have your levels set too high. You would want to use a dynamic microphone to handle the higher SPL's ( sound pressure levels ) of a trumpet blasting. I've mic'd a drum set quite a few times. I've used the Shure SM57 for the snare and it was pointed right at the snare surface, close up. Sound quality was excellent.

Don't use a pop filter while recording instruments. Just vocals.
That 's generally true. 'pop' filters are to cut down on ' plosives' what are hard consanants such as 'P's' or ' T's ' ...... like if you said "Perfect" really lound. The spl's of your voice would be highest at the P part of the word.
The mic needs a good distance for a nice, crisp tone. Plus up close, the pitch may not come out right in the recording. Go at least 10 feet with a brass instrument. This also elminates the "clink" "clank" valve noises.
Maybe your weren't using the correct type of mic either... You should probably use a directional mic to pick up the bulk of the trumpet sound and them even use a second mic. LIke a condenser mic with a omi directional pattern or a hyper cardioid pattern to pick up the ambient room noise. ( make sure you have the proper levels!! ) Then combine those two sound recordings in an editing program. You should get great results.
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

reflexive_cinematics wrote:
Epsilon wrote:Remember, do not stick the mics directly in front of the trumpet, it will sound god-awfully blasting and terrible quality. Never have the instrument point directly towards the mic. Always have a trumpet point the bell to the side. Trust me on this one.
I disagree. Mic placement will have something to do with the sound, but the distortion, and the ' god-awfull ' blasting, and the terrible quality wouldn't be because of mic placement. You are either using the WRONG mic or have your levels set too high. You would want to use a dynamic microphone to handle the higher SPL's ( sound pressure levels ) of a trumpet blasting. I've mic'd a drum set quite a few times. I've used the Shure SM57 for the snare and it was pointed right at the snare surface, close up. Sound quality was excellent.
Oh yes it is! Mic placement IS everything. The mic quality only goes so far.

Percussion recording is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from wind instrument recording. If you stick a mic directly in front of a trumpet or a clarinet, the sound will be horrible. Please don't argue, I do this professionally. :)

Unless you are recording a rock band, directional mics aren't the best. You lose much much of the dynamics and frequency ranges of the ensemble. I have heard many orchestral recordings done with both dynamic and condensor mics. IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Omni mics are generally not good recording instruments. Okay to use for live sound in some situations.