networking after upgrading to xp

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

networking after upgrading to xp

Post by justsomeguy »

ok so heres what happened: there are 4 computers, and they uised to be perfectly networked together. one of them was xp, the others were 98. but now one of the computers was upgraded top xp and the network doesnt work any more. i ran the thing on the xp disk, but it still doesnt work. i dont really know much about networking so what am i exactly supposed to do to get it back to working the way it was before?
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Xp home or XP pro, my guess would be home edition, and that the 98 network was using NetBeui protocol, which isn't supported by XP home
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

the new upgrade is home, and i think the other comp is pro.
and that the 98 network was using NetBeui protocol, which isn't supported by XP home
whats that? sorry, i wish i was the one who had setup the network originally so i actually knew what was going on but its been there for years. if that is the problem, what can i do to fix it?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

You'll have to go into the network settings and set it up to use TCP/IP with static addressing....
The UNDERGROUND
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I had a similar problem when I added my new XP computer onto the WIn 98 network here at work.

To get this to work, I apparently had to create a special disk from the WIN XP computer, and then install this into the other PCs. All worked fine then. It also adds in a "My Shapred Files" folder like XP has, and a couple of other system files to the WIn 98 machines.

If you go into the troubleshooting section on the WIn XP computer, you'll be able to find the bit about making the disk to go into the other computers. "I can't see other computers on the network".

Also, another potential problem is that your NIC (Network interface card) may not be properly configured - You may not have the right driver installed, or WIN XP may not support it. Just a possibility here!
Moderating behind the bushes!
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

To get this to work, I apparently had to create a special disk from the WIN XP computer, and then install this into the other PCs. All worked fine then. It also adds in a "My Shapred Files" folder like XP has, and a couple of other system files to the WIn 98 machines.
no this isnt the probelm, i already did that. ill try updating the driver
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

no this isnt the probelm, i already did that. ill try updating the driver
Check and verify all machines are running the same protocol, and if it is TCP/IP that the subnet masks are all the same, and the addresses in the same netblock.
The UNDERGROUND
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

Check and verify all machines are running the same protocol, and if it is TCP/IP that the subnet masks are all the same, and the addresses in the same netblock.
how do i do that?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Right click, my network places - or -network neighborhood, depending on which windows version. select properties, then select your adaptor and look at the protocols. Setting up TCP/IP for a LAN is a bit beyond what I can explain her, but I'd ask my friends to see if anyone knows how to configure it. Without being in front of the systems, and knowing if they are internet connected and how, it would be tough to get the addressing completely right.
The UNDERGROUND
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

Right click, my network places - or -network neighborhood, depending on which windows version. select properties, then select your adaptor and look at the protocols.
it has a check by it. i dont know if thats good or not or what iot means.
and knowing if they are internet connected and how, it would be tough to get the addressing completely right.
its connected by dsl, and the dsl thingy is plugged into the router (?) and all the comps are plugged into that
EDIT: everything works now, the problem i guess was that the cable was plugged into the wrong router or something, i guess someone changed it while they were trying to fix it before i came in. oh well its all good now
Grant

Post by Grant »

XP and 98 sometimes have conflicts but people are usually too impatient as sometimes the network takes 10mins + with multi platforms to identify itself. Make sure all PCs are in the same work group and share the same ip range.
go to the DOS window and ping the pc's name and see if DOS detects it. That will confirm connectivity.
I ahve a prob at home with 2 PCs one XP pro and the other 98, both in same workgroup and IP range, yet my 98 machine can see the XP one but the XP one see nothing. I can still play games and file swap though. I ahev seen some networks running multiplatforms and cannot see each other in the network window yet still LAN files sharing and gaming fine
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Grant wrote:XP and 98 sometimes have conflicts but people are usually too impatient as sometimes the network takes 10mins + with multi platforms to identify itself. Make sure all PCs are in the same work group and share the same ip range.
go to the DOS window and ping the pc's name and see if DOS detects it. That will confirm connectivity.
I ahve a prob at home with 2 PCs one XP pro and the other 98, both in same workgroup and IP range, yet my 98 machine can see the XP one but the XP one see nothing. I can still play games and file swap though. I ahev seen some networks running multiplatforms and cannot see each other in the network window yet still LAN files sharing and gaming fine
98 often doesn't play well with the computer browser service in XP, particularly if the 98 machine name has an error in the structure of the netbios name.. NT family is much more sensitive to that than 9x machines.
The UNDERGROUND
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i did try and ping it. it didnt work. so i still dont really know what the problem was, but it works now and thats all that matters. thanks for your help though
Grant

Post by Grant »

there is a definite problem there if you cannot ping another connected machine by either name or IP. Check the cables or see if the network light is on