Cutting off hand

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Cutting off hand

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Does anyone have the sound effect chopping off a body part, or know where I can get one? A pirate gets his hand cut off with a butchers knife.
Grant

Post by Grant »

well would there be much of a sound. More of such a sharp chop noise. Maybe combine a wooden bang with a squelch? That is what i would do
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Well you don't actually see it cut off, that's why I need it. It's a pirate chef and he's chopping a carrot. You hear a chop hit wood, a chop hit wood, and then the slice. I would get use anything, but you hve to know he cut something.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Get a Lamb roast joint, and hack away at that with your butcher's knife! You'll have all the sounds of realism you can get, after all, you'll have flesh and bone to contend with! When you're done, add some garlic, cover with foil, and throw into theoven for a couple of hours! Serve with a nice redcurrant and mint sauce, and vegetables! YUM YUM! Hmmm, I'm getting hungry now, going to put supper on!

"No animals were hurt during filming, they were killed before instead"!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

I searched www.findsounds.com and I do agree with camclub that youre going to have to make your own sfx for this one.
@seanbagley
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Go to the slaughterhouse and ask the owner or whoever if you can record on of their butchers hacking into a cow whether live or dead, you can also try the local butcher, the independent butcher mostly, they would be more willing.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Problem with that is that they use different tools, often motorised ones. You wouldn't get them hacking into a live cow, that's an animal rights violation. The cattle have to be "humanely" killed first - Often by electrocution, and this is done at an abbertoire. The carcass is then split up and sections are then distributed to wholesalers, then onto the butchers.

You really woudn't want to go to one of these places, it's not a pretty sight. Most people would be grossed out by it.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Well I was saying have a butcher or someone who is will take a butcher's knife to a DEAD cow or meat product which still contains blood and such, which would then convay the noise needed/
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Grant

Post by Grant »

a very dull thud, maybe slick crack of bone and faint squelch noise :P
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

I got it off sounddogs.com. That site has everything, including tons of gore effects. I had to have it done quickly, otherwise I would have waited a couple days until we had a roast
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Well, I’m having a roast lamb this Sunday for Easter. We go down to the farm and literally watch the preparation process from start- the killing-the skinning- then we prep it up with salt etc and put it on the spit- I would be more then happy to attempt to record a few sounds for you-
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Record chopping a chunk of meat in half.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

That is what I said above^
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Indeed. I was simple reinforcing the idea! :P
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Okay well your point has been acknowledged and reinforced
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

When trying to make a head imploding SFX a few months back (Don't even ask, LOL) i hit a ripe watermelon with a mallet, hammer, 2X4, and finaly with a hatchet. The hatchet produced a sound that we immediatly thought of as an arm being lopped off. We re-shot the scene just to incorperate this. The file was sadly lost in the great Norton Anti-Virus purge however :banghead: . Try it for yourself though.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.