Enter key on my keyboard dosen't work!!! Need Help!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Enter key on my keyboard dosen't work!!! Need Help!

Post by John Groshko »

The enter key on my computer dosen't work. So I bought a brand-new keyboard yesterday and the enter key still dosen't work. So there most be somthing wrong with somthing other than the keyboard. Does anybodoy have any ideas on how I could get this fixed? Thanks.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Sounds more like this should be in the PC forum, but here goes...
If it fails on two KBs, there are a couple possibilities
First of all, are there ANY other keys that fail? The enter key is kind of a unique key, while all keys send a scan code to indicate which key was pressed, ( The scan code is then translated by the OS ito the appropriate character's ASCII value) the enter key is unique in that it's scan code gets translated into two ASCII value x0A x0D a Carriage return and a line feed.
1) The Keyboard mapping in Windows has been changed,
2) A corrupt file somewhere in Windows
3) A virus or trojan which is trapping the scan code and changing the value of that before passing it off to the OS
) It's not too likeley to be hard ware related to the computer itself if it is only the enter key. The KB would have been the first suspect piece. If you replaced it with a new KB, then try that KB on another system to verify it IS good, even if it is brand new. Once you have a known good KB, check for other keys that fail Check ALL the keys. I can't think of a way it would happen off the top of my head to the computer itself, but again it could be.
Next update your antivirus and scan thoroughly, run adaware to make sure there is nothing hooking the scans, then consider doing a repair on Windows. But first make SURE the new KB is working by testing on another machine. Also test your old KB on the machine to see if IT works there..
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

I thought this was the PC section. Sorry.

Well I got my keyboard working now, I completly reinstalled the drivers for it and now it's working fine. But I wouldn't be surprised if it starts acting up again.

Thanks.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yeah, either as Raptor says, or you've gone and ajusted a coutry code setting on your keyboard, and it doesn't like it.

Alternatively, you could have a contact problem in a solder joint around the keyboard connector. Things like this can happen if the equipment gets tugged at.
Moderating behind the bushes!