PC or Mac?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

PC or Mac?

PC (Mircosoft)
78%
Mac (Apple)
17%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 18

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

edinc90 wrote:
Epsilon wrote: Why aren't the software vendors favoring Macs, making people buy the hardware? There's tons more PC software than there is for Macs.
Because why waste money and time developing for a computer that is 15% of the market share? In the way of games it is most obvious, but many more games and software are made for both now. (Adobe, Ambrosia, Pangea Software, and other third party small or single person developers).
I didn't write that! :o

And Raptor, nicely written out! I think you gave out a day's worth in college lectures! lol I am going to print your article out and post it all around my Mac friends. :lol:
Nightingale_zero

Post by Nightingale_zero »

I like the pc because its very upgradeable and lots of software availible. Plus you can get a pc just about any where and for alot less cost. On the other hand I wouldn't mind owning a dual G5 mac if someone was to offer one.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Just so you know, you can get windows XP for macs, so i now officially declare this fight over, all windows software is now available for macs.
Nightingale_zero

I wouldn't call it over. The pc is still very easy to attain and upgrade anything or build. Sadly the Apple company has stopped manufactuers from selling components to end users. Also the prices of the pc are hard to beat especially when your buying for the novice who just wants to use the internet, do light gaming, and send email.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Well i can see you're not looking in the right places, that is what the emac is designed for, and it is very cheap...
Nightingale_zero

true but not as cheap as some pc's and those are pretty much non upgradble other then maybe memory. I feel the pc can grow with the user. Then again we could go on and on and start a flame war which I rather not so I will just end with the fact that both have strengths and weaknesses.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

i don't like celeron myself, they do seem to be a bit cheaper than all the rest of the processors, i would prolly go with an athlon or a p4, also i would look at the new laptop centrino technology, i was watching this thing about it on home shopping network and i think they said that a 1.4 Ghz processor will outperform a 2 ghz p4 processor
"Prolly Just Film"
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Raptor - Yep, that condensed it down quite well. Nice to see you broke it up into paragraphs! Great stuff! Poor IBM has really been the loser in all of this! It's amazing what a clause in a contract can do to people! They tried to claw back the market with the PS2, but just didn't get enough of a foothold with that.

Well done everyone for keeping this debate going on a constructive basis! Everyone has mananaged to make their point very well! I'm almost impressed!

It does seem sad though that Macs have become good spec PCs though, really making them become another brand, rather than another type of system.

What will happen when China unleashes it's quickly emerging Super-operating systems onto the rest of the world?

Will Microsoft be bought out by the companies mass-producing and developing a lot of it's software?

Will Apple disappear into oblivion as it become more of a clone?

Time will tell!
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I figure that the biggist resion I don't use a mac is because I spent a large chunk of change on a PC over the summer, I think I'm going to try and get a hold of a schools mac for a few hours and try and do some editting with imovie or final cut, just to give it a shot. Who knows I might even buy one when I scrap up enough money.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

I figure that the biggist resion I don't use a mac is because I spent a large chunk of change on a PC over the summer, I think I'm going to try and get a hold of a schools mac for a few hours and try and do some editting with imovie or final cut, just to give it a shot. Who knows I might even buy one when I scrap up enough money.
sounds good, you'll see when you try final cut it is pretty similar to premiere, and well imovie is very easy to use, i use imovie a lot for projects that don't need a lot of sound etc.
Will Apple disappear into oblivion as it become more of a clone?
If you are insisting that mac is a clone of windows, i think you should actually use it properly before making assumptions. Windows and Mac OS are very different, with Mac OS being the most innovative.
Grant

Post by Grant »

MAC doe generally have better colouring
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Jass Films wrote:sounds good, you'll see when you try final cut it is pretty similar to premiere, and well imovie is very easy to use, i use imovie a lot for projects that don't need a lot of sound etc.
I have used final cut before, and didn't like it, then I'm not a premeare fan eather.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Final Cut actually gives you the option of creating menus in your dvd before exporting. Unlike Adobe which broke them up into separate programs. Crazy people!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

What I didn't like about final Cut, was that before I could see any kind of effect I had to render, and the project my group and I were working on (I was at a camp) had a lot of film effects put on top of it, and the fact that we had to keep rendering took up most of our two editting days, that and the fact that our G3 crashed three times, but I think it was just a crapy box since none of the others did that.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

What I didn't like about final Cut, was that before I could see any kind of effect I had to render, and the project my group and I were working on (I was at a camp) had a lot of film effects put on top of it, and the fact that we had to keep rendering took up most of our two editting days, that and the fact that our G3 crashed three times, but I think it was just a crapy box since none of the others did that.
I used a g5 and it about 1 second to render 1 second of a crossafde, which is awesome, i think you'll agree with me on that one. Also it was so stable its not funny.
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

one more thing about the whole pc vs mac price thing. with a mac you have to buy a whole new system each time something new comes along. with pc you can upgrade that single part, and save tons of $$.
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah hardware now is so cheap
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

PC.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

OKay yes the price wow you can not neglet the price the PC is SOOOOO much more cheaper.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

What are you guys talking about? OSX barely ever freezes!
I can't find any software to beat Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio.

I tried Windows XP for the first time last week. They copied the concept of OSX so much it wasn't even funny.
By the way, what does the XP stand for?
New site released!
Join the Forum!
http://www.boathouse-productions.com/
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Supposibly it stands for experience.

One could say that Windows copied the OSX concept soo much, while one could also say that a Mac copied the entire idea of a personal computer! :D
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

Maybe Apple did copy the idea for a PC, but so did Bill Gates! They copied it from IBM.

Why would XP stand for Experience? It tries to make it so easy to use...by trying to do everything for you. And it does it wrong.
New site released!
Join the Forum!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Epsilon wrote:Supposibly it stands for experience.

One could say that Windows copied the OSX concept soo much, while one could also say that a Mac copied the entire idea of a personal computer! :D
XP does stand for XPerience, trust me I have all the MS marketing cr** laying around my office LOL, and ummmm I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Apple was producing PCs long before IBM.
Maybe Apple did copy the idea for a PC, but so did Bill Gates! They copied it from IBM.
Ummm Bill Gates (MS) NEVER produced a PC, IBM licensed the DOS operating from MS, who bought the OS from Seattle Computing for less than $50,000. Apple was the first out the gate with a GUI based Windowed OS years before Gates and MS, in fact MS worked on teh Apple GUI as a contract!
Apple, Tandy/Radio Shack, Texas Instruments,Commodore,Atari - all had perconal computers befopre IBM decided to get into the game.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

okay, expert. you win.

Anway, nothing proves the point here that PCs are better than Apples.
New site released!
Join the Forum!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Definitely not a really proveable point.... more a question of persoanl taste.....
And it's our history, and a fascinating history at that, there was more behind the scenes than "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" could ever show :) If it wasn't for a golf game we might all be running a GUI built on CPM on our PCs.... LOL but that is a story for another time. Suffice it to say, whether you are running a PC or a MAC, compared to even 10 years ago this is a wonderful ( and incredibly affordable) time to be a geek. He he he he I still have an add around from a 1986 Family Computing mag advertising a 'high capacity' 120 MB ( yep Mega Byte) IDE Drive, with the price 'slashed' to $1500.00
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands