X men 2

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SwatSnipe

X men 2

Post by SwatSnipe »

How did they do the smoke when Nightcrawler teleports on Xmen 2?
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I think they had a CGI animation of the smoke and used a CGI model of Nightcrawler and just composited the smoke onto an empty backplate... I think that Insert Coin might have done something like this.
www.neverdead.co.nr
SwatSnipe

Yeah well

Post by SwatSnipe »

I looked at "behind the scenes" on the Xmen2 dvd and they have used the real actor. But what program do you think is best to use if i want to recreate this smoke?
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Well, I'd say something like PHotoshop + After Effects or a Particle System like ParticleIllusion or 3DsMax.
www.neverdead.co.nr
SwatSnipe

hmm

Post by SwatSnipe »

Okay, i have all but Particle Illusion. Which one do you think is best to use of those 4?
Austin

Post by Austin »

i remade that effect about 2-3 months ago, i just used real smoke :)
real smoke meaning, filmed smoke with black background, then composite
ill see if i can find the websites i got some ideas from + the smoke footage
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
TXFilms

Post by TXFilms »

Yea. I did it with 3DS max, and didnt like the results. Particle illusion would be the easiest. Unfortunatly, I just have the demo. If I had the full, i'd save a couple frames from max, and use em for particles in PI and just spice it up a bit.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Although a 2D particle system like PI might not be flexible enough to do that kind of effect.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Austin

Post by Austin »

"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
SwatSnipe

Austin

Post by SwatSnipe »

How the hell did you do that? With greenscreen? And, that is some good stock footage of the smoke, could u send me the full version?
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Okay, i have all but Particle Illusion
you can't do this effect with that program, you need a program like 3ds max(3ds max is the exact program used in xmen 2 actually for cyclops laser those particals wolveriens claws ect)
Sigs suck a**.
SwatSnipe

Well

Post by SwatSnipe »

Well, if you look up in my post you can see that someone has written a link to a homemade version of nightcrawlers teleportation. Is that one done with greenscreen?
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yes, chroma key and or masking, you can use premiere or affter effects to ahevie that effect
Sigs suck a**.
Austin

Post by Austin »

FYI - that isnt me in the movie, i had nothing to do with it, just got some ideas from it
it was done with masking, they filmed the "nightcrawler part" then the attacker part, and put them togeather.
personally i think the one that i did came out better, ill try to compress it down and upload it later, that was the full smoke footage.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I did one of those to! I like mine becuase i telaport in midair then into midair not just on the floor i think it looks cooler becuase all of a sudden i appear in the middle of the air heh
Sigs suck a**.
Austin

Post by Austin »

ok, here is the one i did... http://austinkimler.freeservers.com/Nig ... 0Effect.rm
sorry guys its a real media file, i dont have much web space + im on a 56k so to me 303 mb -> 120k is amazing :D
Austin

Post by Austin »

hrmmm interesting, i tried clicking on the link that i put up and it doesnt work, so i guess ill have another try in a bit...
seantree

Post by seantree »

yup, link doesn't work. i'd like to see it though. I just started on my own version of this that i'll post up when finished. All I did was shoot a clean plate , then shoot me jumping, then another shot of me landing. I then rendered out some particles I created in 3ds max using afterburn, threw it in AE and comped it together. I'm still working on the particles so I should have it finished tomorrow. Can't wait to see your version though.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I did mine today -(i was impressed with my results) i didnt have to use a green screen once! i sat down and thought for about 5 minuites and came up with a much easier tequchiunqe if anyone wants information let me know
Sigs suck a**.
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

you know this effect is really relatively easy...
all you need is to film your actor and then at one point get rid of him yet keep the camera movement steady. so if you had a locked down shot it would be easy to get rid of the actor at some point and do another take and make him appear at another point.

if your camera is moving it should be relatively easy aswell all you will need to do is track the movement so that the actor can be masked out with frames that match the position your actor is at...

once you have solved the problem of getting your actor to look like he is popping in and out of scene you just need to make a nifty way to make it look kool... xmen used smoke effects you can copy it too if you like. using 3d programs of particle illusion or stock footage or whatever. just use your imagination it doesnt have to look the same but you can make it look kool.

try and use different effects see if you can come up with a cool style... xmen 2 had some pretty intense particle systems so the dynamics were incredible and you wont have the computer power to do it trust me... have fun and sorry i havent been around much. with college and all hehe :)
seantree

Post by seantree »

I3lade, i'd be interested in your technique. I'm still working on mine. Setting up the particle flow system in 3ds max is taking some time to get it to look right for me. But it's coming along. I used a locked down shot, so that makes it 10x easier. If you could i'd love to hear how you accomplished it.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Okay, my teqhunique was to have the person jump and when they are in midair the other people stay perfectly still, then after the person jumping lands everyone still stays still while they move into the next postion jump up and then land, then the other people move again and you continue, in premiere cut out the parts where they jump to make them go in mid air and appear in mid air once again, then just add smoke and sounds you dont even have to stop the camera once!
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hmm... my problem is I haven't even seen the first X-man film yet. :shock: I am really behind, I know!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Night crawler is in the second one
Sigs suck a**.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Night crawler is in the second one
Sigs suck a**.