Attention Patrick Hall!

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

mistermo

Attention Patrick Hall!

Post by mistermo »

Cheers for the reply........when you compare it with the JVC, how does it stack up with the sony and panasonic models? Also the movie light you talk of is that just Canons slide on video light which joins to the top of the camera? Are you using your ZR for film-shooting and do you reccomend any tips as how to get the best performance out of the camera? CHEERS.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Interesting, I've never been called by my full name before on this or any forum, so that's a change... :mrgreen:

Anyway, I only saw it up against a JVC, can't tell you about a Panasonic or Sony. I do use my ZR quite often for shooting projects for school, etc. and it's never let me down. Also note that the light powered by the cam requires the advanced accessory shoe, which the ZR60 or 65 does not have, only the 70. (I don't know what the zr 70 is called in Pal land, sorry)

So my recomendation would be to either buy the batt. powered light that will slide on top of the cam or a plug-in light such as this one...

Or, you could also buy a movie light. I found a high-wattage film set light in my basement (don't ask me where it came from, because I don't know) and it's awesome! You can light up a pitch black room as if it were in an open field at 12:00 in the afternoon. You can probably find these at a local photography store (they're a few hundred watts, so make sure you don't put a flammable object near them, I learned that the hard way :D)

Ps: When posting a response to a post, simply press the post reply buitton. You don't have to crate a new topic :)[
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
mistermo

filter lenses

Post by mistermo »

ahh yups cheers for the advice......im just wondering if you have used the wide conversion or filter lenses on the ZR. You see we start filming in about a month and im really lookin to increase the quality of picture. By the way do you have any handy tips with regards to improving the ZR's performance. Thanks
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Uhh... Let's see...

Do Lighting, do color correction in post, shoot in 16:9, do lighting, shoot with a tripod or steadicam, record good audio with an external microphone (not improving the performance of the camera, but improving your film), do lighing, use good shot composition, and uhh, finally... DO LIGHTING...

Sorry. Most of these are just general shooting tips, but I'll guarantee it'll look better with these used relatively well than it would if you didn't apply them at all...
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

yeah, you could try the 16:9 stretch mode. For better color contrast and lighting, try reducing the shutter speed. I haven't tried any filters yet,but I know there is one that you can buy, not sure though. Note that a lot of corrective work mut be done with editing, and not just the cam alone.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
mistermo

16:9

Post by mistermo »

cheers for the tips...........why is the 16:9 better? Does it enhance colour or something?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

No, widescreen just looks more professional :)
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios