Headshot blood effects

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Bad Karma

Headshot blood effects

Post by Bad Karma »

Hi all. I'm new here and make a lot of videos (just finished making a mafia film, next month is Vietnam). This advice is used for making blood for a headshot (for a sort of Gomer Pyle suicide-type death).

Fill a balloon with fake blood and red sponge chunks (brain matter). Tape it to the back of your head. Stick the pistol in your mouth, lean against the wall, shove your head back and BAM! The balloon explodes and blood goes everywhere.

Note that I did not make this up. The credit belongs to someone else. Just passing along the word...
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the tip. We could use this in our next film.

In my travels I have found a few websites that detail this sort of effect. Some of them use tubing and compressed air to 'blow' the blood through holes in peoples clothes etc.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Just Curious,
How exactly would you go about filling a balloon with fake blood. You'd have to have some sort of pressure or something to get the balloon to expand. How did you fill yours...

www.geocities.com/browncowstudios
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I assume you would use a funnel and pour the mixture into the balloon. The weight of the mixture would make the balloon expand. A bit like making a 'water bomb'. But messier obviously :D
Grant

Post by Grant »

Even may I suggest a condom instead of a balloon. Expell as much air out as possible.