Crashing through a glass table

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

nakomass

Crashing through a glass table

Post by nakomass »

Ok I've just seen Jackie Chan's stuns and saw the method how to smash through a glass table (put the corners on pins) however what are the chances that the glass will cut into my back and hurt me??
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Dont use real glass... try the sugar kind, or the easy break away stuff. Real glass can slice an artery and kill you.
@seanbagley
Grant

Post by Grant »

Jackie Chan's My Stunts is a must see for all here. Umm if you could get hold of some safety glass, the kind that shatters into tiny pieces instead of breaking into large chunks then i would do it no worries. Wear some light protection on your back and launch yourself backwards through it. But do not do this with normal everyday glass :)
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Remember though, you can still get cut with sugar glass.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

mmm suger glass lol that would be funny seeing someone eat it as they break through it :P, anyway yeah you still gotta be carefull when using it
Sigs suck a**.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

yes, funny
@seanbagley
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

that safety glass is extremely strong, and you can easely jump on it, it wont break
if it does break, it are all shattered pieces, wich wont hurt indeed
the only way to easely break it, is finding the tinnes point, and breaking it there, this will break the whole glass
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Crack it with a hammer first.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

you can't crack it
or it's in perfect state, or it's broken, nothing else
also bloody expensive
but that's what they use when they realy want to make sure the actors don't get hurt
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes but set into a frame of a glass top table you should easily be able to break it with the force and weight of your body jumping backwards onto it. The larger the table the weaker the glass will be also. Still wear protection as i have said to help avoid any cuts or splinter damage to he back
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

i thought about doing this not long ago. I decided that a glass windscreen bought cheaply from a car wreckers would be the best (if u could find an unbroken one).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

They use that glass in car side windows. If you attempt to crack it, the pane will explode into thousands of little pieces. I've rammed enough poles though car windows to guarentee that! :P However, windshields consist of a sandwich of both glass and plastic, so it will not break and fall apart, once again to protect the people within a vehicle. Sugar glass will work the best, or the plastic look-alike stuff which is harder to find.

Safety glass is not very strong. One wrong bump with an elbow, and it will break. It is also quite expensive.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

u might want to put some plastic down under the table (maybe paint it the same colour as the floor) because sugar glass becomes very sticky very fast and it'll be hard to get out
TXFilms

Post by TXFilms »

The test you saw on My Stunts was very good. But the safety in it was that the glass only fell like 1 cm down before it hit another surface. Not giving much room for it to shatter upward. Though, i'm still sure the guy had a layer of something strong on his back to protect him. Also (cant remember exactly) I dont think he allowed his head to go back. He just fell with his back on the center... If you want them to go all the way through the table, i'd use sugar glass.
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah that is why you need that shattery safetly glass TX, and a flat pane, not curved. A flat one set into a frame will easily break with the weight of one's body jumping back onto it. and protection under your costume at all times
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Safety glass is the way to go! If you ever insist on using real glass in a scene, which I do not recommend, make sure you know what you are using!!! I have seen a bowling ball fall 10 feet onto a quarter inch sheet of glass and not cause a dent. Many others will shatter at the mere presence of a slight impact.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Epsilon is right, at all times test the effect first! This is part of the large cost of producing effects
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Karatie will help where thous but gaurd things.
Like in Hockey.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Grant

Post by Grant »

do you mean a chest guard?