VCD quality on DVD players

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dsnynut25

VCD quality on DVD players

Post by dsnynut25 »

Could someone tell me what is the video quality like when they played their VCD in a DVD player and whether it is better or worse than playing it on a PC?
Adam

Post by Adam »

The playback quality using a stanalone dvd player with a TV is often much better when using media player, the picture is often less 'blocky' because the DVD player's will do additional smoothing and the TV will provide some 'natural' blurring, allthough playback quality is also dependant on the encoder used and obviously the original source material.
dsnynut25

colors

Post by dsnynut25 »

I made some test VCDs for my friend to play with his DVD player. He says that the color is fair in light areas, but the color gets screwed up in dark areas. He says it turns different colors and the screen sometimes gets distorted. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to fix the quality and color problem?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Does sound familiar, we have had problems with colours getting screwed up. When we added the titles to MTL they were a pure red colour and they would change colour when played back on a standalone DVD. We could solve the problem by either shading the text.

Your problem might be related but
what MPEG encoder are you using ?
and what software are you using to create the VCD ?
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The problems we had with the original MTL VCD were also related to the DVD player we tried them in I think.

I changed the standalone player and I don't think we saw those particular problems again.

The problem we saw was a large area of red (intro text) having dark patches on it.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Normally black areas will turn to dark green, even on professionally made VCD's.

At the end of the day though, VCD's are only VHS quality, maybe less... So you can't expect an amazing image all the time!