DVD Workshop 2 Released

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

padawanNick

DVD Workshop 2 Released

Post by padawanNick »

FYI....

"DVD Workshop 2 lets users include alternate music, languages, and commentaries in DVD projects with multiple audio and subtitle tracks. To save disc space and create intricate menu navigation, playlist creation lets users link a sequence of assets-movies, menus, and chapter points—to buttons without duplicating assets. Creative professionals can even replicate DVD titles with Workshop’s support for Digital Linear Tape (DLT), and dual layer DVDs (DVD-9) for replicating discs with double the capacity. DVD Workshop 2 offers copyright protection with support for Macrovision and CSS formats, and control over which geographic region can view DVD titles with region coding."

More details.

BTW: I noticed that the upgrade price at B&H is under $200 for those that have the previous version of DVD-WS.

Have fun.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Looks spiffy. Did you try? If so, is it any good?
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Yeah, it does look cool, which is why I posted about it, but I haven't purchased an upgrade yet myself.

With my credit card still recoving from a GL2 purchase, two video related trips coming up, and my freelance time booked with web site jobs for the next 2-3 months, this one's just gonna have to wait a while. I'm hoping to land some video work in the second or third quarter of the year though so maybe I'll pick it up then.

Have fun.
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

I've created a step-by-step tutorial for beginners.

The tutorial begins on the Web page at the following link:

http://www.jonesgroup.net/dvdworkshoptwostepone.htm

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Just to follow up in reply to Epsilon's question....
I have this now, and it ROCKS!

Basically just about anything you've seen on a Hollywood DVD is possible with this program.
The one exception is a "multi-angle" scene, but I wouldn't have expected that since I believe that requires an entirely different level of MPEG encoding.

Some of the really helpful features includes an auto chapter detection system that will look at the time code on your DV file and automatically makes chapter points (which are really easy to edit) at any point there is a break in the time code. This is really great for event shoots. (I regually shoot martial arts tournaments so this is a HUGE help for me.)

All that "asset" verbage in the release really strikes home when you start playing with the multiple subtitle and audio track features. This makes it easy to create a "director's commentary" audio track or have audio and/or subtitles in multiple languages.

Of course it does full motion menus and custom buttons, motion buttons, etc.

The "coolest" stuff is that it's possilbe to make easter-egg menus, and menu transition videos, even menus like the Matrix DVD's "follow the white rabbit" trick. (I think I've seen similar effects on the DVDs for DareDevil and FinalFantasy in their behind the scenes segments.)

Anyway, I'm working on a formalized review that will likely be published on the CreativeCOW website in the next week or so, but just thought I'd get back to you on this since you'd asked.

Have fun.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Nick-which would you say is better workshop or movie factory?
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

In terms of DVD Authoring, Workshop is significantly more powerful.
Movie Factory doesn't support multiple audio tracks, or subtitles.
MF also doesn't have all the "cool stuff" I was writting about for hidden menus and such.

Have fun.