A book, every amateur moviemaker must have!!

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Spike

A book, every amateur moviemaker must have!!

Post by Spike »

REBEL WITHOUT A CREW - HOW A 23-YEAR-OLD FILM-MAKER WITH $7,000 BECAME A HOLLYWOOD PLAYER
by RODRIGUEZ, ROBERT
I just bought this book and it is GREAT..... it has given me so much inspiration and i have only begun reading it!! :D
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

i have already read it great book. Everyone should also check out The Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint. Great book
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Everyone who hasn't read Rebel Without a Crew, or seen the Mariachi Trilogy needs to check them out ASAP.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I read something like that a while ago, I havnt really read any books recently so im not sure. I know i read that before.. i should re read it
Sigs suck a**.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ill have to check it out, I'll see if its in the liberary.
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Yeah you should obviously read it, but also find a director's bio that was born in your state, province, or whatever and read that. I had it easy with James Cameron, but it's alot of inspiration to know how someone from such a small place hit is so big, even if he did move to California.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

I'm sure if you have seen El Mariachi or Desperado then you have Watched Robert Rodriguez's 10 Minute Film Schools if not check them out
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Kolorion

Post by Kolorion »

I bought the book and finished it in three hours. It it is an interesting book, but not that great for teaching. I give it a 7 out of 10
BACON
No, I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn't expecting a
f**king rainforest; you could fall in love with an orang-utan in that.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

well i found the book very halpful
joe

Post by joe »

It it is an interesting book, but not that great for teaching.
as a filmmaker, i dont think you should be taught how to do anything, except for maybe working equipment. teach yourself and your own style will show through more. it is a great book.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

true true very well said joe
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

it dosen't really teach anything, basically it just inspires. It is a much better book that all those other bullshit ones. Im in chapters because i have a $40 gift certificate. I see these huge books, like easily over 1000 pages that teach you how to do low budget. After scrolling through it, all that is in it, is how to do perfect lighting, how to use film cameras, how to buy film, how to work the camera, basically all it was, was technical know how. There are a million other books like that, and im not intrested in that s*** right now, if I want to make a low budget film I will go and make one. I don't consider 100,000 and up low-budget film, whether it is a short or feature. I even hear about these young kids, like 12 or 13 in various places, bragging that their first short film, not even on film, but videotape was only $500 american to make. Also this is no horror, or sci-fi, or anything with gore or any kinds of special effects or make up.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Thats what it does it inspires this is true. But it makes you want to make a film and make it right