Win XP Backup?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Win XP Backup?

Post by El Brenty »

Does Win XP have a backup facility? Win 98 did, bit I can't seem to find one in XP!

What I want to be able to do is completely backup the whole system from time to ttime, covering all files, including system and data files.

Now that I've got a DVD Re-Writer, this would be handy to speed tye process up slightly.

Suggestions anyone?
Moderating behind the bushes!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

XP Pro has a backup, Start =>programs=>accesories=>system tools=>backup
Not sure about XP Home
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

AAAAARGH! (Pulling hair Out!) Looks like XP home hasn't got it, and I did look through the Windows components Add/Remove bit to see if it was sitting there waiting to be installed!!! Why oh Why didn't they give me Pro when I wanted it!

Any other suggestions?

I just looked onto Microsoft's web-site it says
Unfortunately, most people only realise the importance of backing up their data after a system crash in which they lose a number of their important files. It is well nigh impossible to predict when such a catastrophe is going to occur so the importance of keeping copies of all your vital data cannot be stressed highly enough
Okay, that's why I want to do a backup, so Microsoft, why then...
The Windows XP Backup Utility doesn't come as standard with your operating system and you won't be able to get access it using Add/Remove Windows Components either. You will have to install it manually by inserting the Windows XP disc in the drive and browsing to the following location E:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACK UP (where 'E:' is the letter of your CD drive). Double-click on the file NTBACKUP.MSI to begin the installation
Why do people make life so complicated, and why do they contradict themselves? If it's so important, why don't they have it in the add/remove section?

Will post again if I have problems doing what they say!
Grant

Post by Grant »

i am sure XP home should also have a system backup facility.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It does Grant, look at the second quote in my last post! ;-) You just have to dig deep to get to it!

I've been playing around with it, and it seems to do the job nicely, however, if you want to use CDs as backup in some cases, you have to write a backup image file onto the hard drive, (Max 650MB), and then re-save that file onto the CD using your CD software.

I'm still to try this out for my CD writer, where I have in-CD that allows me to drag and drop files onto a CD like it's a worm drive.
Grant

Post by Grant »

you could just do a system restore
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Does that backup all the system and data files then?
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

I got one when i downloaded all critical updates from microsoft, it comes in WindowsXPHotfix2 (is the only one it could of come in) because the other one was a vulnaribility thing with internet explorer....so try goin to microsoft.com and updateing your updates
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

OKAY OKAY OKAY! But this thread was asking about BACKING UP, not UPGRADING! Do you understand my meaning?
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

well u must upgrade to backup...lol
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

This is very true! ;-)

But you can find the backup utility like I said in my second quote on my second post on this thread! And I've been using it now, and It's quite easy to use! Get it installed you lot and do your backups on a regular basis! Great thing about the backup utility is that you can do incremental backups that allow you to backup only the files that have changed or been added since your last backup!

Remember, if something goes wrong with your computer, you'll lose all yourt data files - Your software isn't as important as you should have the *cough* original *cough* installation CDs! Any programs like Musiucmatch Jukebox that I have (Downloaded from their website) I save into a special folder, along with the ID key saved as a text-file. I then back up this folder as it gets updated, so I don't lose non-CD software, and more importantly, all the program unlock keys that I pay for!