Digital Zoom, What's it all about??

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

nakomass

Digital Zoom, What's it all about??

Post by nakomass »

I don't see the point at all, my camera's good because you can switch it off, but if I didn't it would be able to stretch the picure 400x.

Is there any pratical reason for digital zoom except for getting a big blurry image?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

No, it's for amature users who think they're getting a good deal when they buy a camera with 500000x zoom!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
nakomass

Post by nakomass »

It's the same with camcorders that have an intergrated digital camera. They offer a 1.3 Megapixel picture but cut down on other options like optical zoom etc. RIP OFF!!
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Indeed. It's just a gimmick for more sales.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Digital zoom DOES have a use, definitely not for film making, but I've shot a couple of news stories where I was unable to get within a reasonable distance of an incident, couldn't resolve much detail with the optical zoom, but was able to run up to like 48x digital zoom and get the shot. <ost recently was a fire in a paper storage facility at a local paper mill, no media was allowed on the property, and the buyilding was only visible from one side of the palnt, across the parking lot and a river. Set up across the river, cranked up the D-ZOom, and got reasonable shots ( NOT Great by any means!!) of fireground operations. ANother case that comes to mind where high D-Zoom can be useful is in nature videography, an eagle's nest across a lake, other spooky animals you need to stand off from...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

In most cases you want to avoid Dig zoom like the plage, but I keep my cam set with the 28x dig zoom on, just incase my 12x optical is not enough, and at that low dig number you don't pick much bad up, granted I would never use it in making a movie, but in low numbers it is fine for home movies and such.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

The only use is if you don't have any binoculars handy. Then you can use tha cam as binoculars.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I always keep my digital zoom off. Plus, for filmaking, why would you need a 300x zoom?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
nakomass

Post by nakomass »

Jass Films wrote:The only use is if you don't have any binoculars handy. Then you can use tha cam as binoculars.
good thinking :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

U.S.Amateurfilmaker wrote:I always keep my digital zoom off. Plus, for filmaking, why would you need a 300x zoom?
Would be handy if you were making a "dodgy" film of your neighbours through their bedroom window! ;-)
Moderating behind the bushes!
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

CamClub... *puts hand to forehead* Ugh... :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

LOL! Well, if you had like 2 hot married lesbians living next door... Oh never mind! LOL! ;-)
Moderating behind the bushes!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

haha
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

:roll: ...typical CamClub...

Digital zoom: avoid it. All it does is enlarge the pixel size. I would do that in post if you really wanted that pixelated effect. Definately prioritize on optical zoom. Digital zoom costs practically nothing more to make. It is pretty much a marketing sceme to make their product seem better. Most Professional camcorders don't have the digital zoom option.

But I have used it as binoculars before, on a cruise trip to see another ship some 40-50 miles off. :D
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Epsilon wrote::roll: ...typical CamClub...

Digital zoom: avoid it. All it does is enlarge the pixel size. I would do that in post if you really wanted that pixelated effect. Definately prioritize on optical zoom. Digital zoom costs practically nothing more to make. It is pretty much a marketing sceme to make their product seem better. Most Professional camcorders don't have the digital zoom option.

But I have used it as binoculars before, on a cruise trip to see another ship some 40-50 miles off. :D
A lot of broadcast cams have the digital zoom option.. do you use it?? Rarely, but it is still there as an option for those times when authorities won't let you on the scene for news. While D-Zoom has little to no use in film making, it does in other venues of videography...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hmm... perhaps professional camcorders was the wrong phrasing! :D
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »