Computer gets bsod after about an hour

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Computer gets bsod after about an hour

Post by justsomeguy »

ok so theres this laptop that after about one hour it gets the bsod. i checked for viruses, checked for blaster, deleted a bunch of spyware. but it still does this. have no idea whats wrong, please help!

EDIT:it also seems that it will shut down in about 1/2 hour during actual use, 1 hour of just sitting there
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Sounds like it's over-heating!
Moderating behind the bushes!
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

any way i could tell/fix it? its a latop (and its not mine) so i cant really install any new hardware or anything

EDIT: i dont think its overheating anymore, it runs at about 45 C and it will go up occasionally but then it goes right back down to 43 C or something like that
Grant

Post by Grant »

what is bsod?
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

blue screen of death
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

OH! You mean the General Protection Fault screen, where it tells you the computer has stopped responding or is waiting for a program?

If that's the case, it could be a memory fault. It could be something as silly as the memory not being seated correctly. What it sounds like is happening, is that the software that's running (what you use, and what is running in the background), is not addressing the memory correctly, and causing a conflict with another program that wants to access the same memory address. I guess you're running Windows 98?

As a course of action, un-install any programs that you don;t use on a regular basis. Just having them installed can add to the memory getting taken up, because sometimes they load up a small program segment that just wastes memory space, and steals your system resources! When you've done this, delete all temporary files, and then defragment the hard drive. With any luck, that may clear up the problem.
Moderating behind the bushes!
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i did that, and its running xp. it "seems" to work now, i dont know that i really did anything to it. but i left it on for at least 2 hours of continous use. and it usually shuts off in 1/2 hour with continous use, so idunno it might be fixed it might be not. ill just have to wait and see