3ds max bank building

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

3ds max bank building

Post by justsomeguy »

for a movie i'm making there's going to be this large bank, and so i wnated to make it in 3dsmax. the only shot is going to be of the front. i just recently got 3ds max so i dont really know much about what im doing, so if i did it myself it would looking like cr**. so just wondering what tools i should use, and stuff like that. any suggestiong will be apprectiated. ill try and find a picture of the kind of building im looking at makeing. and i wnat it to look really realistic, i dont want it to be obvious its fake
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

www.3dtotal.com for some good tuto's
if you're going realy clos-up, you'll need some good textures
else, some VERY basic modeling will do
for the pen thing:
just keyframe it
help can be found under "help" or on the CD ('cuz you DO have on, right?)
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I'm getting a copy of 3D S Max again... I was using it a while back before I got into film-making and I gave up after creating a few nifty things and getting the hang of stuff cuz I knew I wasn't going to ever use it. Now I'm gonna have to !

4 questions twabi that I could never understand.

1) How exactly to you model your own textures in the Material (M) window? What's all this Oren-Blinn shading and stuff?

2) If I'm animating and on frame 1 I have a ball moving to frame 10, and on frame 7 I want a cube to drop into the shot, how can I just add the cube from frame 7 and up? Whenever I added something else, it would appear throughout the whole animation, from frame 1 onwards.

3) What exactly are splines? I could never understand them.

4) What's the difference between the Video Queue and normal Render? Does VQ allow you to add effects like highlight and glow? (I've used VQ before but I don;t know what the difference between that and normal render is)
www.neverdead.co.nr
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

1) Just make some spheres, create different materials and apply them => render
This is how I discovered most functions
2) http://www.geocities.com/my3dstudio/tut ... e/hide.htm
3) Don't know
4) idem
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Idem?

I mean, how do you make different materials? Like lets say I wanted to make a metal texture with a splatter of blood on one side, how would I create the curve of the blood splat?

Is R5 of Max much better than R4? Which I have
www.neverdead.co.nr
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

i have 6, so i can't tell
idem = same as prev. answer
seantree

Post by seantree »

1.) the material editor can take some time to learn. I suggest hitting cgtalk.com and going into their 3ds max forum. there are some free material libraries etc.
2.) answered by Twabi
3.) Splines can be used as paths for an object to follow during an animation, or they can be used to draw out the shape of an object, then convert it to an editable poly/mesh. example: say you draw out the profile of a characters hed using splines in the left viewport. you can then draw a single polygon, covert to editable poly, then choose extrude along spline, the polygon will follow the shape of the spline you had previously drawn. Kinda hard to explain but if ya need help, hit me up.
4.) not sure on video queue, i know video post is where you add glow and so on.
BTW, i've used max since version 2.5 and now have 6. you should really look into getting 6. it has sooo many features that allow it to be used out of the box for film effects than the previous releases. You used to have to buy tons of plugins for max just to get the same features as say Maya out of the box.
good luck, and like i said , if you need any help, I'll try to answer any questions the best i can.

as for Vamp, if you want blood spattered on the wall, i would look into the uvmap modifier in 3ds max. if it is just a wall you could throw a planar UV on it and be done with it. You could also render out your wall, then paint the blood in photoshop, and composite in your composting app. Dunno, maybe I'll write up some tuts sometime.

oh and the bank question, you could do this fairly easily, depending on how real you want it to look. You could just make a plane, find a photo of a bank in a decent resolution on the internet, then map that to your plane. hell, you could probably get away with just throwing the pic in your compositing app and be done with it. I don't really see the need for a 3d bank if your shot is using a locked camera. I've seen some nice looking buildings that are nothing more than a plane and a few cubes, yet they hold up because the texture is good. in 3d your model is only as good as your textures. textures make or break a model.