WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

Speaking as a race that would not exist had the germans won the second world war, I feel I must disagree in the heaviest sense. The Germans treated the estonians only slightly better than the Russians did and had the Nazis won the war, the Estonians would have been for the chop quite soon, The Nazis considered anyone east of them as subhuman and would have slaughtered them as they did to the Soviet civilians who got in their way.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ugh its a bit of a flame baiter comment to make lol (preferring the nazies to win ww2 etc),

Politics doesnt have a place in this thread, its about costumes only and ww2 film-making. So lets keep it that way lads
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

Whats the powdery stuff called the medics put on the wounds?
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Sulfa powder. Derived from sulfanilamide, they kill bacteria to stop an infection. Why they dumped them into Wade's chest wound in SPR I don't know. They would later be replaced with penicillin.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

. .
Last edited by maj_barnes on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Scratch that, US training dictated for them to apply sulfa to any wound ASAP. Apparently this is responsible for saving a whole lot of lives. Kill the infection before it starts.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Honestly Lawriejaffa, I really don't know anything about the Russian outfits, nor even a whole lot about the Ostfront battles. My knowledge is mainly American, German, and sparingly British items during WW2.

I was happy to purchase a backpack radio. Especially one that is nice and original, complete, and presumably working according to the seller inspection. I know the seller's reputation, so I'm glad I got it from them, though it hasn't come in yet. It costed me $560. A fair price for a working relic, but compared to the same things going for $1000+ on eBay it's a deal to me! haha

We represent the 9th Infantry Division in WW2. www.easy39th.com for anybody around here that may be interested. I'm also doing a lot of talking with some Film majors here at my school, hopefully to finally do the real quality war picture we've been planning to make. We have a pretty good sized studio, rental equipment, sound rooms, top of the line VTR setups. I'm excited. A few friends here have access to the newer Panasonic HD stuff and steadicams, and new editing bays too. I think we have enough people interested to shoot for film festivals, as long as we can raise the money to start.

I'll keep ya'll informed as things progress. The ideology is if we're gonna spend the time and money to make something this big, might as well do it right. Who knows... if the funding can grow big enough, I'm able to get ahold of armored and tracked vehicles...
kcfilmdude

Russian outfits

Post by kcfilmdude »

Could someone tell me what a WWII Russian infantry uniform would look like/consist of. Enlisted and officers please.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

A couple of years ago I went to a garage sale and an old man sold me a whole box full of his WWII medic kit that was issued to him during WWII. It included ALOT of stuff but I found a "sulfa" packet inside the bandage container and I had never heard of it. But after watching saving private ryan and BOB I figured realized what it was. I asked aroundand I believe that back in the eightys they where still using sulfa in hospitals. Thats second or third hand so dont quote me. Anyway it is good stuff and this is what a packet from WWII looks like

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Another REAL muzzle flash!
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Ok, lol. Thats a cute muzzle flash but I have watched as much film as I could and NO WHERE in real life do muzzle flashes show up in broad day light. Its either on photographs, or a high speed camera, but neveron a normal movie or film camera. Im pretty sure thats the way it is.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Well, Epsilon took that picture with a real gun and a real camera in real daylight, therefore you're wrong, sorry.
@seanbagley
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

justin!butcher wrote:Ok, lol. Thats a cute muzzle flash but I have watched as much film as I could and NO WHERE in real life do muzzle flashes show up in broad day light. Its either on photographs, or a high speed camera, but neveron a normal movie or film camera. Im pretty sure thats the way it is.
Lol, I didn't add this one in editing. It's a real flash. Perhaps, the reason you are doubtful is because you have never seen a real muzzle flash for yourself. You can't compare real life to a movie of real life! :P For one, the shutter speed is usually far too fast to capture a live flash. This is the reason why professional filmmakers use very slow shutters and full-powder load blanks for a shoot.

www.easy39th.com/videos.php

Watch a few. We are using REAL guns, REAL gunpowder, and REAL daylight on a teenie tiny digital camera. And somehow we got muzzle flashes captured on video. :P
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

Watched three of the videos and didnt see one muzzle flash that looked anything like the one in your picture.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

You're stupid.
@seanbagley
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Epsilon wrote:Image

Another REAL muzzle flash!
Is that guy just wearing a helmet liner?!

And I guess these are all fake too?

Muzzle flashes do appear, but not that often when firing outside.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

my gosh. I never said they where fake. Friggin read what I said. I said that I never notice them showing up in undedited footage!! I watched the making of a movie and they shot all the guns that they used. Not one of them showed up wth a bigassed muzzle flash......I shoot guns myself all the time and I only notice small ones. Anyway I was just observing that they only show up in pics. If Imwrong Im wrong but theres no reas to get hostile over it.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I hate to be picky but...
and NO WHERE in real life do muzzle flashes show up in broad day light.
Not hostile, but more on the lines that you kept going on about you never saw any muzzle flashes.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

dang. Well I dont remember saying that.
Anyway, I just never have really seen one. Im probably wrong, I was just saying...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I thought I bump this back up a bit.

Anyways, I been looking for some ammo bags. Anyone know where I could find some cheap ones that are under $25 (besides ebay). Or anything that would look similar?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

What kind of ammo bags? General purpose bags? Bandoleers? Musette bags?
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

General purpose.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I can't think of any place besides eBay that would offer originals under $25. Repros cost more than originals too.

Here's another gear layout photograph I took yesterday. It's just the fundamental personal items we use in reenacting. I'll take more pictures in the future for clothing, garrison, and field equipment.

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

The cheapest I've seen are on What Price Glory for $25.

Looks really good. Before I scrolled down all the way I was thinking: you take two etools with ya?
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

anyone remmber me?

god damn this thread is old...

adn justinbutcher, if my military experience has taught me anything vaguely useful, muzzle flashes do show up in daylight. ignit gas ejects from the barrel in day or night. unless of course, he was using an automatic weapon witha BFA, which he wasnt
I would never join a club that would have me as a member